- October 01 2016Rock remix by PaulBOwens feat. mpointon Track # 85257Careful with that Hammond Eugene
- September 18 2016Jazz remix by marmotte feat. mpointon Track # 84108Relax Just A Little + BackVocs
- August 24 2016Blues jam feat. remix by mpointon on Drums Track # 81592Our Key Blues
- July 12 2016Jazz remix by OliVBee feat. mpointon Track # 78047Alluvium - dimeomax mixed in
- May 16 2016HipHop remix by GlezBass feat. mpointon Track # 73246No, We won't Stop (w bass)
- February 09 2016Jazz remix by JDF feat. mpointon Track # 64223Day Tripper
- February 09 2016HipHop remix by JDF feat. mpointon Track # 64153Red Sand
- November 13 2015Rock remix by GlezBass feat. mpointon Track # 55095I Cry For You (w bass)
- October 29 2015Jazz-Rock remix by haddock feat. mpointon Track # 53822Lucky Charm feat. Wade
- August 10 2015Funk remix by aleonz feat. mpointon Track # 47178Dance Dance Dance
- July 16 2015Jazz-Rock remix by OliVBee feat. mpointon Track # 45141The Wheel Of Life (Alice mixed in)
My real name is Martin Pointon, hence my unimaginative username. Apart from playing drums, my other achievements in life include going bald, being able to rub my stomach and pat my head (might be related to the baldness) and getting divorced. Twice. Because doing it once was so much fun.
Earliest drumming influences are Buddy Rich, Alex Van Halen and Mel Gaynor (Simple Minds' drummer). From there I've listened to and learned from countless other players, nicking tricks and licks as I go. From Vinnie Colaiuta to Steve Gadd to Mike Portnoy to Carter Beauford to Stanton Moore to my current favourites: Gavin Harrison and Ash Soan. The list is long and dull! They're all brilliant and I'll listen to any drummer - they all offer something to learn for me. I also graduated from Musician's Institute (PIT), London in 1994.
I desire only one thing with my drums: to get better and especially improve my overall quality of play. WikiLoops and its amazing breadth of international talent makes me realise how much more I have to learn to become the best player I can be.
1992 Yamaha 9000 Recording Custom (UK-spec) pure birch shell in Cobalt Blue Lacquer. Normally record with a 5-piece set-up, but full kit is 8x8, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 14x12 rack toms, 16x16 and 18x16 floor toms and 22x16 bass drum. This kit is usually my recording kit.
Spaun 3-piece all-maple kit (12x8, 16x14, 22x18) in Satin Flat Black. This kit is usually found stacked in the corner in its cases waiting for my next gig!
Vintage 1964 Ludwig 400 aluminium shell with Puresound 24-strand snare wires (still have original snare wires)
Pearl 13x3 brass shell piccolo
Yamaha 8000 14x5 mahogany shell in Cobalt Blue
Premier XPK 14x5.5 Birch/Eucalyptus shell. I made and signed this snare myself at the Premier factory in Leicester, UK. Before they went bust.
I need more snares!
14", 15", 16" and [cracked] 17" Zildjian A Custom crashes
20" Zildjian A Custom Ping Ride
Vintage 13" Zildjian K/Z hi-hats
10" Zildjian A Splash
14" Zildjian Oriental China
Pearl Eliminator double pedal - the double bit is rarely used
Yamaha boom stands (Yamaha kit)
Gibraltar boom/straight stands (Spaun kit)
Mapex hi-hat stand (Yamaha kit)
Gibraltar hi-hat stand (Spaun kit)
Exclusively use Vic Firth SD9 Drivers (rock maple). Can't imagine ever using a different stick now.
Pro Mark bamboo Hot Rods
Yamaha Kit: Remo Powerstroke 3 Coated on kick, all other drums use Remo Coated Ambassador heads. Reso heads are Evans Genera
Spaun Kit: Aquarian Superkick 10 on bass, Spaun [Evans] single ply clear heads on toms
LP blue (high) and Red (low) Jam Blocks
Pro-Mark Sizzle chain (for simulating a riveted cymbal)
Jack Daniel's and Coke
2xAudio-Technica condenser overheads
2xAudio-Technica clip-on tom mics
AKG D112 kick mic
Sony stereo mic
Terratec Phase88 8-in Firewire 800 interface (using Thunderbolt adapter)
Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Quad Core, 256 SSD, 16GB RAM)
Reaper 5 DAW
Waves Gold Suite VST3 plugins
Apple built-in AUs
Reaper built-in VSTs
January 1 1973
Fans: (received thumbs)
mpointon is being followed by:
"I don't listen to the radio much anymore the best music is on Wikiloops! The people are what make it great! "