Home » Forum » Feedback and Suggestions »
Smart Phone App

Smart Phone App

posted on #41
Dick Supporter
I'll have to see if can run that on the samsung, too...
you wont believe it, but the channel description wich is taking up only 25% of your screen is taking up two screens on the samsung, - on your display, there would be enuf space to put comments and info below the description (thus making the buttons useless), while on the phone i tested with, there would be no chance to have more than either a few comments, the desc or the download-link (thats why I developed the three button navigation...). I guess you'd appreciate a bigger font since you have so much space, that wont work on the smaller samsung tho... oh boy....

what is tzhe landscape-shoutbox supposed to show me? font too little? only top navi buttons visible?!

I'll be on it...

D

mobile link:
[url]http://www.mobile.wikiloops.com/jam.php[/url]
look from widescreen PC:
[url]http://www.mobile.wikiloops.com/tester.php[/url]

mobile link:
http://www.mobile.wikiloops.com/jam.php
look from widescreen PC:
http://www.mobile.wikiloops.com/tester.php

posted on #42
ChrisB
Administrator
the font size is fine man, it looks much clearer on my phone than on the screenshot because of the higher pixel density.

The shoutbox page just seems to have a lot of empty space and only one shout visible without scrolling...
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #43
Dick Supporter
thanks for the explicit respone, it'll be easy to stretch the shouts to full window width, and maybe I can place the shout button next to the smiley menue, that will gain some space I hope...
posted on #44
Dopelope1
So far, clicking on the shout box archive still brings you to the regular websites archive so I'm guessing you haven't done the mobile version of it yet?

Also,

Still can't see who's online in mobile.
posted on #45
Dopelope1
"More filters" now defaults to an easy to find spot and font. Good job( although I believe it should always default to More filters )
posted on #46
Dick Supporter
hey dope :)

you are right on all points, I have lost a lot of time understanding some really basic things about smartphones (like the smart way dropdown menues are displayed... now I understand why the advanced filters wont look too crammed :) )
then, I had to realize the phone I have here to test is a real cheap thing with a really bad resolution compared to todays standards.
With that said, I guess I'll have to live with the fact there will be no one solution that looks great on all devices, and I'll have to find a compromise on most things. Like blank areas on big screens or need to scroll some on smaller ones.
With that understood, I will continue reducing unnecessary codebits to create speedier loading times, and after that its time to look at the misleading links you have spotted.
I'll keep movin on, learning a lot theese days, and I bet a pro coder would have a nice laugh at my feeble attempts on the issue :)
posted on #47
Dopelope1
Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure it isn't very easy. I'll let you know what else I notice.

Thanks
posted on #48
ToadCruncher
tested it out tonight on my wifes droid and everything is real nice! Now if I had women’s fingers it would be a lot easier unfortunately mine are to fat for the smart phones.
Toad
ToadCruncher attached the following image:

the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #49
Dick Supporter
YEAH!

thats a nift screensho right there, toad!
funny as it may seem, this picture of your phone is about the best way to make a mobile screenshot, as we have learned from chris, on-phone-screenshots will look kind of strange on big screens, so taking the camera as a neutral way to document the display is pretty much the only way to get a decent idea of what it looks like! Thank you very much for this, I'll take it to the development pic-gallery as soon as I get around to updating that :)
Glad to hear all the functions of the player seem to work well on android,
I have had some big finger problems too when testing on a borrowed phone, but I guess thats something used smartphone users dont recognize at all. Most of the interfaces buttons & links ae much bigger that the keyset displayed whenever you hit a formular field, so I got to the point where I trust people that are used to using their touchscreens wont mind... hope that assumption is correct :)

My impression: site seems to work well enuf on android to go public with the mobile link in the next days, now I'd love to get some more feedback from some iphone users i thats possible...
I know the interface will look less good and some features will not be available without flash (the flash radio allows you to comment, download or thumb the track the radio is currently playing...),
and as Rob reported, the radio does not playback the playlists properly so far.
If someone could please post another pic of the UI on an iphone, I'd hopefully get some more idea of what is going wrong...

thinking about trying my first experiments with html5 soon (thx again to chrisB for some preparational research!!), if iphones browser is up to that, this might be a solution... please help me out with some feedback there fellows!

So, to round things up,
my thoughts on the mobile interface so far:
could be a nice way to check in with wikiloops on the go, take a look at my wall and listen to some latest tracks...
the most missed functions from my point of view are the forum access, maybe the jump-to-jam and a link to the helpsection. A musician search would be nice too sometime...
theres still some bugs in the user radio channels to be looked at, and the file download link does a bad job so far :) Missing a link to close the shoutbox again once its opened rom radio or jam pages... but thats about it.
even receiving OK results with the mobile-OK validator at W3C, still got some in-code changes to do, but that wont effect the looks much.
Only thing thats causing alerts is the use of iframes - thats the sub-windows in wich the comments / info / whatever is displayed while the player continues playing. If they really cause trouble, please let me know, seemed to work just like they should in my tests.

Gonna add some social buttons, too, and a little link to the donate corner...

thanks to all for your help, I wonder what theese weeks of development will seem like in a year from now...
the (quite similar) hard coding phase I had last spring around the first days of wikiloops has indeed turned out to be woth it ...

time for a little :P in janos direction there, he'll know what this means :)

so direct your phones to:

[url]http://www.mobile.wikiloops.com[/url]
posted on #50
Dopelope1
I have not noticed any riff info or chords in some songs(could be that there were none on those tracks) Also, it is still difficult to see how many thumbs someone has given. (the song player overlaps the thumbs up icon)
posted on #51
btkircher
Dick, I'm currently working towards my bachelors in Computer Science. I am going to be focusing a lot on app development in the future, and specifically will be working with iOS.

It'll probably be a year from now before I could offer any worth while help, but if its needed - I'd be glad to help.

I could see a lot of potential for marketing this application. With more and more people using iRig with their Apple products, not to mention replacing their laptop usage with that of an iPad (or other tablets) - there is a definite future in this kind of development.
posted on #52
Dick Supporter
sounds good man :)
by now, I do own a smartphone (galaxy 3) myself, and i do know there is a lot to improve on the mobile version... I'm still no member of the apple world, so any help on theese aspects would be really appreciated - besides the actual coding, its feedback and second opinions that help a lot, so feel free to contact me via PM with any ideas you have. I'm glad there is another member who offered help on the visual aspects, wich is something I'm really weak about, so lets get together and improve the loops... I believe the fun and the international get-together is worth that effort...
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops, the first place for sharing my ideas in music. Meet fantastic musicians all over the world. I'm learning every day! You will love it!!
frankyguitar from Germany

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.