Home » Forum » Feedback and Suggestions »
What drummers can give?

What drummers can give?

posted on #21
GrooveEnth
rp3drusm & Dick. Thank you for your interesting comments and I can assure you that I am not at all offended by anything you have said! :)

Firstly, I have no doubt that there are many fine drummers here who would have no problem adding drums to a bare bass track but of course they will only do so if they find the bass (or other part) sufficiently interesting to download! :) Even a wonderful bass part can sound quite uninspiring in isolation. I recall a BBC documentary about Peter Gabriel's 'So' where Tony Levin's bass track was briefly soloed: it really didn't sound that great on it's own but in context you couldn't imagine anything else being played! To be honest, even as a bass player I prefer to wait until I see a remix with both drums and chords before I jump it, in order to give context (or to use Dick's excellent phrase, to 'explain' what I'm trying to do).

I've recently started to upload bass HD parts on top of drums+bass. Perhaps as an experiment, as you suggest, I'll try to upload a bass-only part to see what happens*. In the meantime, I was actually serious about the offer to provide soloed parts - I'm sure others would also be delighted to be asked.

Dick - apologies, I didn't intend to suggest that you rewrite the whole of Wikiloops from the ground up to support this kind of pick-and-mix approach! :)

Ok - uploaded, so we'll see... :)
posted on #22
Ernie440 Supporter
I agree with Slimdaver .. the click track in Reaper sux .. it's impossible to jam to it and I have no problem with click tracks in general, the tick tock of a physical solid metronome in a room, I have no problem with either. Reapers click is garbage! What do drummers want and what can they give? Who knows?? They're like women, really hard to please! lol Just kidding :P As far as uploading solo bass tracks for drummers to add to, it's been done here, I've heard some great adds that have turned into crazy good songs, although I don't think it's been done a lot in general. I think if you're going to upload a single bass track keep it simple with as few notes as possible and of course try to make it as catchy to the ear as possible if you can, otherwise, it is hard to tell what the hell is going on when it's just bass, sometimes.
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #23
rp3drums Supporter
Groove.

Thanks for uploading that track. Funny story, when I was in the studio many years ago, we were in the midst of mixing and they isolated my drum track. So we are all there listening to my track and the guitar players says "is that all you do". No shit! hahah.. so I know how you feel. One last bit of advice, I actually went to check out your track, but we drummers need a 4 count in click, so we know where you're at and can set our clicks. So for me now it is difficult to jump in, but if you had the count in I can give it a go! Thanks
posted on #24
GoneUser_200920
I think if you want to know what goes on with bass players you should listen to Mister Rogers interviewing one.

youtube.com/watch?v=HsPzJALbR6c

Maybe This Thread should be entitled what bass players want?
posted on #25
rp3drums Supporter
Apparently bass players want a drummer keeping time for them! :D
posted on #26
GrooveEnth
>Apparently bass players want a drummer keeping time for them

yep - and one that doesn't: talk back,, speed up, slow down, end their fills early, end their fills late, smash away on the cymbals continuously, put a fill in every other bar, bang random drums between songs during rehearsals, keep asking "how does that one start", etc.... :-P

>we drummers need a 4 count in click, so we know where you're at and can set our clicks. So for me now it is difficult to jump in, but if you had the count in I can give it a go

I had thought of that! If you go to the HD mix, the track which is (incorrectly) labelled as a bass part is actually a click track which starts 4 bars before before the bass and which runs all through it :)
posted on #27
rp3drums Supporter
Yes, but thats an extra download and all I need is count in... it also helps when other people add to your track and mix. It becomes a reference point and makes it easier to line thing up. We had a discussion way back about having count in's on tracks... I guess you need a drummer to click his sticks to/ :D:o
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
This site is the best fun you can have with your instrument other than making love or live music. Guaranteed!
TeeGee from Germany

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.