wikiloops »Forum»Open mic at the blue Iguana »The Importance Of Criticism In music

The Importance Of Criticism In music

posted on #21
Supporter
If I understand it correctly, it should be a problem, that in WL always only good criticism would be. This is for me a kind of "topos" - if one wants to read only black and white, but not also between the lines.
My personal experience is that the musicians in WL do not only make good music, but also understand how to make very nuanced compliments. This is usually done in a few words and very friendly. Example: a once received compliment of Wade "epic". I was happy at first, then I realized that my solo was too long and exaggerated. These little compliments and short sentences from my circle of friends steer and guide me. Some shape me. That is why I am indebted to everyone.
posted on #22
Supporter
We should probably speak about the self-criticism in music :D
posted on #23
Supporter
Personally I welcome any suggestions for improvements on my tracks. That does not happen very often, wikiloopers are far too polite for that. Still, on those rare occasions I am very grateful as I found the remarks were spot on... the ever increasing
fear of hurting someone's feelings is
making criticism in any walk of life nowadays quite a delicate matter. But on my tracks, bring it on, thank you for that!!
Edited by TeeGee on 15-10-2017 09:32
posted on #24
Supporter
Hey, the whole point is that whatever is done, is not Definative. If you don't like that branch, make a new one!
posted on #25
Supporter
...oh, by the way, TGee... Your crap!😁
posted on #26
Supporter
It's a really tricky one. It's wonderful to get positive feedback but sometimes that's devalued when you see equally fulsome praise going to something you've played that you know has significant issues.

Personally I'd love _constructive_ criticism but as others have said, with so many different cultures and viewpoints it's very easy to get crossed-wires to the point that people can take serious offence over what was meant to be a helpful comment.

Although I sometimes find the relentless positivity here a bit one-dimensional (a bit like playing everything in a major key!) I do think on balance it is one of the things that makes this place such a wonderful and fun environment. :)
Edited by GrooveEnth on 15-10-2017 18:01
posted on #27
Supporter
Hi guys, I just found this thread and think of the topic.. I admit: I love the positivity, the politeness, the goodwill and the safe feeling: I can upload my music and I can be sure everybody is praising my super dooper add! I love it .. and I love you guys for this .. nevertheless, I would learn more and develope if you as experienced musicians and technicians and writers would tell me what you think could be done differently or probably better.
So what I will do in future: when I am not very sure, that I like my contribution very-very much and I am super confident that I contributed optimally in the framework of my capabilities, I WILL ACTIVELY ASK FOR YOUR HELP!
Meanwhile I am pretty sure that the loopers won't mutate to a group of unfriendly know-it-alls, I am sure you guys are giving support if you see a chance to grow!
posted on #28
Supporter
think it is a good thing to get positive critic because you can learn from it my parents, always do that and it made the things I did en do only better. With music it’s hard for them because they both where hearing aids and they don’t hear some tones very well. Because I have to learn a lot in music and mixing is sometimes hard to do right I always use head phones (getting deaf my self) and some times I doubt if the tone of the flute is right because soe flutes are not exact the tone. I have to learn a lot so any help is welcome.
music is the language all people understand so lets make music instead of war❤
posted on #29
Supporter
Hello,

I read this topic, it's really interesting.
Critique is important, encouragement too.

I've just creating a new thread, finally it could be linked with this one, because I find that " for me " it lack of critique on my mixes ( for my taste).
The music is not appreciate, no thumb up, ok I'm not frustrated with this, I'm frustrated to don't know why. it will help to grow in " music" to know what's wrong .

I talk here about myself and tracks, but In a general way, I have the feeling that's usual here to " left a compliment and thumb up if you like " and " nothing if you dislike" what a pity, if the review and critique is well done, it's a good thing, No ?
posted on #30
My plea is: Don't play with fire. Don't play with criticism.
It is not necessary and it does not happen because this is for sure an international musician's site.
Thumbs say nothing about the quality of your music. To understand "thumbs" please look for the "No thumbs Blues" by Anne Cozean, somewhere in this database.
Let us be honest: you'll only meet two sorts of people. The first don't need your critics any more and the second should pay a real teacher in the real world.

Criticism will do no better
:)
Was born in an analog world.
posted on #31
Supporter
Neronick wrote:
It is not necessary and it does not happen because this is for sure an international musician's site.
Thumbs say nothing about the quality of your music. To understand "thumbs" please look for the "No thumbs Blues" by Anne Cozean, somewhere in this database.
Let us be honest: you'll only meet two sorts of people. The first don't need your critics any more and the second should pay a real teacher in the real world.

You're right, the numbers of thumbs or the lack of thumb is not significant to measure the quality level of a music.
But sometime, I would be pleased to know why or what is not appreciate in my music ( if I could tell like is), it could help to progress.
By the way, it's quite touchy to tell some critics to an another musician, but a good " review " could be efficient, for me, if those reviews, critics are made in diplomate way :)

It's important also for me because sometime I've the feeling that I've made a quite good job, but maybe I'm wrong and other times I uploaded a mix, not convicted by myself and my work, and it's finally appreciate, and I understand why.

Quite difficult to be " objective " with his own music, that why I think a good review / critical advises should be good ( in my case)

I' don't wana pay teacher anymore, I've the feeling that they just want my money, and keep for themselves the best tips to be a good musician ( teacher how can I learn " groove " "improvisation" etc .... answer " hmmm you have it or not sorry " :)
posted on #32
Supporter
Neronick wrote:

I found it https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-58396.php :)
posted on #33
Supporter
kimbo wrote:
...oh, by the way, TGee... Your crap!😁

I know, glad to hear :D

P.S. It's "you're" actually. Your grammar sucks big time <3
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
amaser1 from England

"Just came across what you guys are doing here and it is great!!"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.