Swearing

posted on #1
I recently got pulled up for swearing on a song title.
Where do you stand if you actually sing it in a song?
If it's not allowed here, it's unfair ~ it's double standards...because someone else has actually sang the F word in a song on here.
posted on #2
Supporter
You tell em Stella!

Search turns up...

4 songs with the F word in the title.
5 songs with the S word in the title.

Now my question for the Wikiloops Super Gods is even though Im American, can I use "Wanker" and "Bullocks" as an artistic tool? Ive always wondered this.and of course I would use it creatively! Is it only if I say it with a British accent? :) Is "Bloody Wanka" more insulting then just a mere "wanka?"
Edited by LeftTheLoops9-18 on February 22 2018 09:35
posted on #3
Founder
Hey Stella,
You already pointed at the answer to your question yourself:
It is our objective to keep the written language swearing-free on wikiloops (that includes titles, track descriptions, tags, comments etc), but the audio is excluded from this for two reasons:
1st Lyrics shouldn't be "censored" in any way* IMO (please see footnote),
2nd Search engines will not listen to music, but they will read track titles and text. I believe we all benefit of wikiloops appearance in other musicians search results, and I wouldn't want to hazard that by letting wikiloops appear like an adult content site to search engines.

Should you stumble across tracks which are crossing the line,
please do point me towards those so we can take action to pevent arguments like "he did it so why can I not?".

Hope that answers the question :)

* Edit:
To clarify: "shouldn't be censored in any way" as long as they are compliant with our terms of use.
Any calls to violence, hate speech, racism, religious offense and such can and will not be tolerated, since such content would contradict the purpose of wikiloops. The freedom to express your opinion does not include the right to assault or threaten anyone verbally. Peace yall.
Edited by Dick on February 22 2018 10:31
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #4
Founder

@Relativity wrote:

You tell em Stella!

Search turns up...

Now my question for the Wikiloops Super Gods is even though Im American, can I use "Wanker" and "Bullocks" as an artistic tool? Ive always wondered this.and of course I would use it creatively! Is it only if I say it with a British accent? :) Is "Bloody Wanka" more insulting then just a mere "wanka?"

I just checked and edited the titles you found, obviously 9 tracks slipped the radar out of 120.000 uploads. Blame me, but lets leave religion out of this shall we? :)
Edited by Dick on February 22 2018 10:08

posted on #5
Ok. Thanks for your reply Dick.
I understand about the search engine now verses audio. Makes sense.
Edited by Anon518 on February 22 2018 10:23
posted on #6
I think Dick means Nationalities not Religion.

Dick wrote:

@Relativity wrote:

You tell em Stella!

Search turns up...

I just checked and edited the titles you found, obviously 9 tracks slipped the radar out of 120.000 uploads. Blame me, but lets leave religion out of this shall we? :)
posted on #7
Founder
No, I was referring to the "super gods" :)

I'm not an english native speaker (as you'll know).
My idea of what falls into "bad language" was aquired in the southern USA, where the topic was (and probably still is) taken a lot more serious than I would have expected (I was surprised to learn the american rap music I listened to as a teenager would never be played on US radio stations for containing "bad language").
The typical way to avoid cursing (by using slightly changed words, like saying "darn" instead of "damn") was something I needed to get accustomed to, but hey, why not respect peoples touchy points?

I do apreciate the multi-national, multi-ethnical and multi-religious live-and-let-live on wikiloops, and I could probably name quite a lot of names along with a (culturally common) touchy point, including my own.
All we're trying to do around here is to try to get along without stepping on each others toes.
I think it's called diplomacy :)

posted on #8
Dick. SuperGods is merely a phrase ...that means the higher powers that be...that means you Dick Lol
Edited by Anon518 on February 22 2018 19:06
posted on #9
User Avatar Supporter
Here is my 2 cents....about a week ago I sent a PM to Dick asking about the use of bad language in songs. Dick's reply was consistent with his statements here: "not in the title, but if it adds to the artistic interpretation of what you are singing, then its OK". I was working on a punk song (Track #130353) and I thought it needed the F bomb. I have since used the same word in a surf song (Track #130247). While on both occasions I felt the word added to the artistic interpretation of the mood I was trying to convey, this won't be something that I'll be making a habit of.
Edited by Dadinator on February 22 2018 21:24
posted on #10
User Avatar Supporter
I deleted this cuz It was pointed out how this could be offensive, and I had not thought of that.... BB
Edited by BuzzBomber on February 22 2018 22:18
posted on #11
User Avatar Supporter
Glad we are out of bar soap at my house. Never in the title tho:W
posted on #12
User Avatar Supporter
posted on #13
User Avatar Supporter
Fishinmissio wrote:

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/2kqnRjerduwgw/giphy.gif[/img]
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
ivax from Spain

"I think that Wikiloops is the dream that every musician had ever... to share ideas and projects, even is a form of collective learning, fusion of styles, good atmosphere among friends, always with respect..."

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.