Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Setup for mixing with headphones

Setup for mixing with headphones

posted on #21
User Avatar Supporter
I broke up a relationship with a girl in high school because she had mono.
posted on #22
User Avatar Supporter
you did well, this is a dangerous virus ... B)
Cantaloopo
posted on #23
User Avatar Supporter
only to get back to the headline of the thread ...
I have many headphones, of course, mainly AKG and Beyerdynamic, mostly half open. They are used by musicians when doing overdubs in the studio. When recording my own stuff (with click or for Wickiloops etc.) I prefer the audio technica M70x. They sound great, featuring the bass a bit, but there is no sound leakage in front of a vocal mike.
For mixing I rely only on my AKG K812 reference headphones. They are quite expensive, but they correlate wonderful with the near field monitors Klein+Hummel 120 (now Neumann KH120) and the Auratone cubes (broadband speakers) I use. Everything is connected to the SPL 2Control, which allows adjustable crossfeed simulation. Something I rarely need, because there's nearly no significant difference between the K812 and the K+H speakers. And I am not always mixing everything "in the box" - when doing productions for classical music, I use some hardware units to pimp the stereo mix like a custom made stereo Pultec style tube EQ (still unbeatably) and a Gyratec 9 stereo tube preamp (which is also great for straight stereo recording in high resolution, directly recorded as digital streaming onto flash card. Best sounding results one can achieve! )
Cantaloopo
posted on #24
While Sonarworks offers a program called "Systemwide" for Windows and for MacOS, but not for Linux (yet), I've just made one - and described the process with a few screenshots in an article on my blog:

https://wolfgang.lonien.de/2020/05/how-to-make-a-systemwide-sonarworks-on-linux-the-easy-way/

Hope this is useful for some of you,
Cheers,
Wolfgang
posted on #25
User Avatar Supporter
Pretty much what i did in logic...took the sonarworks curves and recreated them in logics own output eq section.
Though not applicable system-wide, logic is pretty much all i use the machine to listen on.
he who works with his hands, is a labourer
he who works with his hands and his head, is a craftsman
he who works with his hands, his head, and his heart, is an artist.....(I just dont work)
posted on #26
User Avatar Supporter
wjl wrote:
While Sonarworks offers a program called "Systemwide" for Windows and for MacOS, but not for Linux (yet), I've just made one - and described the process with a few screenshots in an article on my blog:

https://wolfgang.lonien.de/2020/05/how-to-make-a-systemwide-sonarworks-on-linux-the-easy-way/

Hope this is useful for some of you,
Cheers,
Wolfgang

Well, you seem to be a cumputer buffo. I'm not much into this, I must confess, as I am a relict of the analogue recording world.
One basic thing I don't understand: This Sonarworks program equals out headphones and speakers, so they all might sound the same, right? But in reference to which acoustic circumstances, samples or signals or whatever? I mean, my speakers are measured in and adjusted exactly to the acoustical (control)room situation. Only then I can be shure that what I hear is correct concerning frequencies and panning etc
Cantaloopo
posted on #27
Cantaloopo wrote:
One basic thing I don't understand: This Sonarworks program equals out headphones and speakers, so they all might sound the same, right? But in reference to which acoustic circumstances, samples or signals or whatever? I mean, my speakers are measured in and adjusted exactly to the acoustical (control)room situation. Only then I can be shure that what I hear is correct concerning frequencies and panning etc

Correct. For speakers you'll need your own measurements, so you'll need the "Studio" version of the software and a microphone to get the signal from your setup. Warren Huart explains it here, where he's measuring his 3" iLoud Micro Monitors:

[youtube]jTVItSxRm6A[/youtube]

Of course it helps if the room is treated already - you can't use that product against "standing waves" and such...

Hope that helps,
Wolfgang
posted on #28
User Avatar Supporter
wjl wrote:
Cantaloopo wrote:

Correct. For speakers you'll need your own measurements, so you'll need the "Studio" version of the software and a microphone to get the signal from your setup. Warren Huart explains it here, where he's measuring his 3" iLoud Micro Monitors:

[youtube]jTVItSxRm6A[/youtube]

Of course it helps if the room is treated already - you can't use that product against "standing waves" and such...

Hope that helps,
Wolfgang

Yes, thanks! Of course I know about the process of measuring in studio monitors, did it a few times with ARC2. I misunderstood your description of the Sonarworks program, thought it would not require a measurement microphone and was wondering how this should work ... sorry:|
Cantaloopo
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
frankiejazz from Italy

"A fantastic site where you can share your musical ideas and developing new ones!"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.