Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
BASS PLAYERS - How are you recording?

BASS PLAYERS - How are you recording?

posted on #21
arke
I've got a Fender P-Bass through my Behringer GuitarLink into FL Studio. I usually split the incoming track into two (low, hi) or three (low, mid, hi) subtracks, and those two or three back into one.

The low track usually has some EQ to cut the highs and then runs through a heavy compressor (BLOCKFISH, though the built-in Fruity Compressor works too) to get those bass notes consistent. This takes care of the low end.

The middle (or high, if using two) track has the lows cut out and I then run it through the JCM900 guitar amp simulator from Simulanalog (free!). This is the one that really takes care of the tone - I can go all the way from clean to Lemmy-style just by tweaking the amp sim.

The high track, if I have it, has the lows and the mids cut out, then compressed. I mix this in to get attack in there if I'm missing it from the mid band.

I try to avoid touching the combined track too much; I may apply some EQ to smoothen out differences in perceived loudness between low and high notes. When I mix, I turn all the bass faders down, then slowly move the low track fader up until the bottom end sits well. After that works, I add the mid (and possibly high) tracks to taste.
posted on #22
jmrukkers
Administrator
Thanks for sharing, arke, good suggestions here
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #23
zeuhl50
I'm using Reaper, combined with a sound card EDIROL UA-25EX and usually an Ibanez SR400 customized with Bartolini pickups bass.
I also use a customized Hohner "The Jack" headless with M-Audio FastTrack.
As arke, I also use some EQ and compressor effects in my DAW but usually only in one track unless I use parallel compression.
posted on #24
DannyK
Bass (P-Bass) -> SansAmp BDDI (usually all knobs at 50% aside from blend which is 100%) -> Audio Interface. I record with Logic. I may use some software compression but not always. I need more compression when picking than when I'm using my fingers.
posted on #25
pgpete
i plug this : - [img]http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Guitarist/339/warwick-thumbbo2-970-80.jpg[/img]

into this : - [img]https://us.focusrite.com/sites/default/files/resources/image/scarlett2i23quarter_1.jpg[/img]

and fiddle with this : -

[img]http://thegaragebandguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Garageband-10.0.3-EQ-1024x640.png[/img]
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
It expands your horizon - and you don't have to make appointments!
taBASSco from Belgium

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.