Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »Why I left Wikiloops

Why I left Wikiloops

posted on #21
User Avatar Member
Andri wrote:
Andri wrote:
I really like your comment Ray, and I certainly consider that sometimes comments, depending on your mood can be hurtful.
Wade has made some comments to me, especially in the beginning that at first annoyed me, but then objectively analyzed, I realized that he was right and that they improved my musical style.
I will always remember, when he told me... don't put so many ornamental notes because they are useless and I thought... ehhh what's wrong? and as I said, I analyzed it and he was right.
I think Wade is a good musician and as it couldn't be otherwise, a good person. I think there is a misunderstanding in all this or a lack of tuning that I hope will be resolved because Mark is an excellent musician and I would hate to stop hearing. After all, we are all musicians and it is incredible that there is no other language in WL than musical.
posted on #22
User Avatar Supporter
I truly appreciate that some of you recognize that I would never purposely try to hurt anyone. Those who have taken the time to see what I've written and the comments from the past (more than a year) may wonder (as I do) why Mark blames me. The comment Mark refers to would have probably been more than two years ago, although he never specifically said what or when it was. I subsequently apologized for it, even without knowing what it was. Mark had continued to post hundreds of tracks and had no comments from me whatsoever for more than eight months. The sudden decision to quit because of me just doesn't ring true.

I'd communicated and supported Mark throughout his time here. That can be seen through the hundreds of comments I've made on his tracks through the years. He has (previously) shared some of his personal information with me which leads me to believe that he is at a crisis point in his life. We all make difficult and sometimes bad decisions. Some don't wish to face that. Having a "scapegoat" you can blame may temporarily relieve the need to face difficulties.

Mark needs support and it's good that many of you have tried to make him feel good about himself and his music.

When/if he comes back hopefully he will do so with a new perspective.
You're only as old as you smell
posted on #23
User Avatar Member
I am not, like many, a person with an easy character and above all I do not stand in any way the fake comments written for the sole purpose of pleasing those who read them. Now, Mark is a great saxophonist and I myself have expressed my admiration to him on more than one occasion, but I must also say that in my memory, Wade hardly made any inappropriate comments. He has always addressed words of appreciation to myself, but sometimes he has also criticized not my ability as a drummer, but some small mistakes made in mixing. Synchronisms not exactly perfect, or voices or instruments muffled in the mix or by the drums. Since I immediately recognize someone who knows exactly what he is saying, I have never had any difficulty in agreeing with him and correcting the mistake made, whenever possible. After all, for those who argue that Wikiloops is above all a way to grow musically, I believe that small and polite critics should always be welcome. That said, with Mark we have lost a great saxophonist and if he decides to go back on his decision, he will always be welcome. Ezio
posted on #24
User Avatar Supporter
Ezdrummer wrote:
I am not, like many, a person with an easy character and above all I do not stand in any way the fake comments written for the sole purpose of pleasing those who read them. Now, Mark is a great saxophonist and I myself have expressed my admiration to him on more than one occasion, but I must also say that in my memory, Wade hardly made any inappropriate comments. He has always addressed words of appreciation to myself, but sometimes he has also criticized not my ability as a drummer, but some small mistakes made in mixing. Synchronisms not exactly perfect, or voices or instruments muffled in the mix or by the drums. Since I immediately recognize someone who knows exactly what he is saying, I have never had any difficulty in agreeing with him and correcting the mistake made, whenever possible. After all, for those who argue that Wikiloops is above all a way to grow musically, I believe that small and polite critics should always be welcome. That said, with Mark we have lost a great saxophonist and if he decides to go back on his decision, he will always be welcome. Ezio

I have played with Ezdrummer, Mark and Wade....
First off: You are all really great musicians!

Wade:
I love you!
And i love your playing, i love your suitcase filled with treasures! Sory a bit internal! Wade travels with a suitecase of instruments ;)

Ezdrummer:
We have had quite a few good tracks together! I have never met you, but it sure feels like we are close in a few of the grooves we have done together!

Mark:
You are a great sax player! I've sent you a few PM's myself when you went a bit further from the sax with the loops (about the quality of the samples you used). Besides that we have done numerous tracks on Wikiloops and off with stellar quality :)

This brings me to a bit of a dangerous question: What is toxic?
Besides the obvious, all the comments that appraise music that is off tune, off beat and not enjoyable in my ears are "toxic" for me.... I don't think it helps anyone.... others might disagree with me! Thinking that is how you motivate people!

But for me this is just as toxic as saying: That sucked!

I never comment anything "negative"...a few times i want to! But in a constructive way!
But how do you do that? If a person played a track one note off key for the whole track, and by the time you were going to comment on that (in a nice way), you see 4-5 comments appraising the upload?!

So, this is hard! The balance between hurting feelings and helping someone...
Edited by eGiL on April 14 2022 00:48
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1uS65W1wu9Mj1prjv5fF4o?si=IXPCUEo3RquZybR77U0j6g
posted on #25
User Avatar Member
Gentlemen!! It not the end of the world here it is music do your best or worst it doesn’t really matter … Looked at it as Karaoke you can hear the haters talking when someone is up singing having fun and it doesn’t matter about the haters they will always be there ….But keep in mind they are the ones that won’t even get up and try …lol
I always think of myself as the Black Sheep out here I mean very seldom someone will chime in on something I have done, But you know what doesn’t matter as I am having fun and don’t really give a damn what people think anyway ….. But that would be me and just my opinion …Without Criticism one would not learn… …. Like a band put one in charge so when the shi# starts getting real it falls back on them..lol MichaelB):YB)
posted on #26
User Avatar Member
I like music for many reasons - sometimes it's technical skill, sometimes it's attitude, sometimes it's energy - sometimes it's that out-of-tune sound inherent in any superb African bands, sometimes it's because it's experimental, sometimes it's beautiful recording, sometimes it's trashy recording... some of my favourite stuff is on the surface terrible, but things can grow on you and trash turns into gold.
So... it's difficult to criticise anyone making music. If I don't like I assume it's because I don't understand.

OK, I'll admit I'm not keen when someone posts a mix where they've drowned out all the other instruments with a non-stop shredding solo, but even then...
Edited by zedders on April 14 2022 15:41
posted on #27
User Avatar Member
"So you are lost in the woods and you come across three guys:
an out of tune sax player, a guy playing the sax in tune, and Santa Claus.

Who do you ask for directions?

Obviously the guy playing out of tune, The other two are fictional characters.":D

...and I thought guitar players had giant egos..:o LOL

Seriously folks.... don't take this place or the music we make here so serious, remember it is all for fun;)

FYI...I like both Wade and Mark, Each are FANTASTIC sax players:W
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
davidaustin from England

"Great fun for all, a great way of learning to improvise. best musical web site I have come across, cannot put the guitar down now! "

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy ..