Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
New wikiloops version 14 open for preview

New wikiloops version 14 open for preview

posted on #1
Dick Supporter
After more than half a year of work, I am happy to open the new wikiloops versions gates for your kind preview today!

I will eventually add proper release notes pointing out all the technical improvements and details me & a certain Mr.karuma have been working on - for now, I'm just going to leave it at a few notes before leaving it to you to have a look, so here I go:

Why are we offering a preview phase?
Truth is: I'm asking for your help here. We have tested everything, but it is pretty much impossible to test everything from all types of devices & browsers, and experience shows: you users have your own ways of doing things, so, I'd really appreciate if a lot of people took a look and made sure we know about any potential problems before changing the "official" wikiloops to the new version.

What to do if you spot a problem?
Ideally, take a screenshot of whatever went wrong and post it here so we can work it out.

What's new?
Funnily, you might have a hard time telling what has changed, as this update brings rather little visual changes,
and the included feature updates may not be obvious at first glance.
There are (amongst 1001 other things) some changes to the uploading procedure, and since that is crucial, I'd appreciate if some of you daredevils tried that - the track will appear on the regular wikiloops just as well, so go for it and let us know how that went :)

Enough said for now, now go and have a look around wikiloops version 14:
[removed link, v14 is by now live :)]
Looking forward to our feedback & thank you for helping out as a beta tester :)
Richard
+12
posted on #2
Wade Supporter
Hard for me to know whether everything was supposed to be in working order or not. Most things came up with "fatal error". could not look at news which only showed two items then "fatal error". "Tracks tab" went to first page of new uploads. Similar problem with all the other tabs. I'm running an i Mac Catalina.
+2
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
rootshell Supporter
just briefly perused it on my mobile phone. digging the rounded corner images, with that lil drop shadow, a very nice visual touch :W
+1
posted on #4
Dick Supporter
@wade - fatal errors are certainly not intendend, and yes, v14 is supposed to be working :) Please do copy those error messages for me in the future + the page / tab you saw them on, that will speed up my bug hunt quite dramatically.
I just checked your profile from the visitors perspective and could not see any errors (can't see your "newsfeed" tab that way tho), I'll take the liberty to have a look at your newsfeed in a minute to see what is happening there.
Newsfeeds are especially hard to predict / test, as anyone of you guys has their unique mix of information on there... so, thanks for the pointer!

@rootshell: tell you the truth, these changes on the avatars were more of a motivational hint to myself, so we had at least a tiny difference to the current live version.
As I know you have some coding background (which musician would know what a box-shadow is ;) ?), I'm especially looking forward to your guys feedback once you get to see the full release notes. We literally turned over every line of wikiloops code in the backend, so it is really weird that the surface hasn't changed much. But more on that later...
+3
posted on #5
Dick Supporter
I just updated the v14 domain, fixing Wade's profile bug & another one reported by MikeB.
Thanks for your help folks, keep it coming!
posted on #6
Wade Supporter
Thanks Richard. Lots of stuff now fixed and am now able to check a few other things. "View more" for replies/comments doesn't work, or "show more".

Under "latest uploads" page there is still the problem of the "next page" only adding around ten new tracks each time.

Very sorry about not giving a screen shot. 1. I don't know how to. 2. My internet connection is gone and am using my phone as a hot spot so have very limited data available to do any large file stuff. My server can't say when/if the connection will ever come back...the joys of living in the country on a "third world" island.

Thanks again.

W
+3
posted on #7
Dick Supporter
Hey Wade & all,
"show more on comments" is fixed, thanks for the notion!

I am having a hard time reproducing the "latest uploads" issue, I guess I must be missing something...
First page of "latest uploads", no filters applied is https://www.v14.wikiloops.com/tracks/new.php - that one shows a lot of tracks, I didn't count, but 100 could be true.
Navigating to page 2 (using the arrows above the list, or the page-bullets at the very bottom) takes me to https://www.v14.wikiloops.com/tracks/new-p10.php#tracks_result, which also displays a lot of tracks... what do I need to do so the list gets short? Or does the list not get short, but only ads few new tracks, like 90 tracks were on the previous page and only ten new ones appear? It did not look like that was the case either, but you tell me please :)
Maybe this occurs on certain filter settings only?
posted on #8
Dick Supporter
duh, I got it, its not short lists, it just keeps 90 out of 100 tracks around and moves the list by 10... I'll fix it, never mind :)
+1
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
davidaustin Supporter
Looking good to me Richard:D
+1
posted on #10
MySounds Supporter
No issues with uploading new tracks, everything works fine on windows 10 and chrome.
I did see a slight layout issue on my tablet (android) where the container with the musicians overlaps (nearly hides) the uploader.

And for whatever reason, I can`t attach a screenshot. But I`ve saved it in case you want to see for yourself.

Update: After writing this and logging off, I got a fatal error message. Looks like the country argument in the goodbye script doesn't read the country handle. No big deal...and certainly not fatal. ;)
+2
posted on #11
GBD
Using Mac & Safari: Choose file doesn't attach screen shot but Allows me to choose pix.
Featured new member & song details print over itself like new member. The pix was attached after I hit reply. Click (Ok Got It) to cookie Q; blue banner stays there. Profile opens on news mouse pointer changes on other tabs but clicking no response. Play buttons no response & other navigation the same. (got same issues with iPhone using Safari)
GBD attached the following image:

Edited by GBD on April 24, 2023 at 5:56 AM
posted on #12
wjl Supporter
Tracks don't appear in the right order - I'll try to attach a screenshot (being on v14 here). Also, some tracks of people I follow are definitely missing, like for instance #268215
wjl attached the following image:

+1
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
posted on #13
Dick Supporter
Hey folks,
I'm working down the list of reported issues and am regularly updating the v14 domain as I get things done - see attached screenshot.
Thanks for all your support, we managed to figure out some quite well-hidden bugs with your help!
Keep 'em coming, much appreciated.

GBD wrote:
Using Mac & Safari: Choose file doesn't attach screen shot but Allows me to choose pix.

yes, that is the intended behavior :)

GBD wrote:
Using Mac & Safari: Featured new member & song details print over itself like new member. (...) Click (Ok Got It) to cookie Q; blue banner stays there.

That should be fixed by now, there was a global javascript error in safari which caused a lot of grief, possibly including the profile tab issue, please check again :)
Dick attached the following image:

posted on #14
wjl Supporter
As an update to my [url=https://www.v14.wikiloops.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3278#post_23456]post #12[/url] from above:

I just checked with the regular (v13?) version of Wikiloops, and the tracks are in the right order - but still #268215 is missing. So can it be that this is a problem concerning tracks being *uploaded* using the new version 14? Just a thought...

Edit: #268264 - probably uploaded with v14 - is missing in both the new and old version newsfeeds as well, so that could be the case indeed...
posted on #16
Dick Supporter
@wolfgang - i just checked the database to see what may have been the reason for the seeming re-ordering, but without knowing whether ivax & shi used the beta version to upload, it is hard to tell what might have gone wrong there.

#268264 has been flagged by uploader, so it makes sense it doesn't appear on newsfeeds any longer.

Shi uploaded #268215 via v14 (i asked), and there was a bug preventing the newsfeed notification for followers, good you noticed! I just fixed that, will roll out in a few minutes.
+3
posted on #17
wjl Supporter
Just a cosmetic thing; nothing important... the "go back up" button now overlays parts of the shoutbox; I think the older placement more in between the shoutbox and the main newsfeed looked better...
wjl attached the following image:

posted on #18
wjl Supporter
@those_who_help:

To add screenshots:

1. use the 'reply' button instead of the 'Quick Reply' window, and
2. use filenames without blanks or special characters

+1
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
posted on #19
carlottis
Por ahora vista nueva y agradable reproduccion correcta,sin problema, no se cuando descargue, o cuando suba algo.... veremos
posted on #20
Ernie440 Supporter
Little glitch in the matrix I noticed last evening when I clicked on "remixes" .. it appears that I had uploaded to Kucho's upload .. which i didn't do. I uploaded to Nick's track.
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52845529250_3a913df939_b.jpg[/img]
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops has not only improved my bassplaying, but I have also made new friends around the world! For example I visited Wade in NZ last year.
haddock from Sweden

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.