I was wondering about some things

posted on #21
bassMonkey
Back in the 80's I was at technical college in Cornwall. Possibly
not a place you'd associate with a thriving music scene but if
you looked hard enough - you bet.

One great little local band that did the rounds up and down those
windy country roads to the outlying bars and clubs was called the
Mercenaries. Bass, guitar & drum trio and the guitar player (Andy)
bassist (Phil) used to look leather/demim bad-ass in a way that
was quickly going out of fashion (at the time).

Terry, the drummer, had Cerebral Palsy so he'd be the last onto the
stage and often had to be helped (and he was generally better dressed)
So immediately, an unconventional look in front of young-ish audiences
that had often had little or no experience of interacting with people
with disabilities.

Then they played. All three of them in the zone and all three of them
brilliant. I shared a few beers with Terry on those long ago evenings
listening to his encyclopaedic knowledge of the UK music scene and arguing
about what the best Stranglers album was - yes he would have loved to have been
a lead guitar player or even a violinist but he worked out he could play
drums and do it better than anyone else. So he did.

Inspiriation. Legend. Wrong Stranglers album choice.
+4
posted on #22
LittleWing Supporter
Shamika wrote:
Today I was wondering about problems and disabilities that could make music making difficult.
For example, I suffered a dislocated jaw a few years ago. Despite a year doing special exercises it never returned to the correct place. This means I find it hard (and painful sometimes) to open my mouth wide. I also had 6 months of physiotherapy for a torn arm muscle and only had one usable arm. I'm fine now :)

I know some wikiloopers have been set back by illness, disability, accident or even just age.
They say that losing sight will focus the ears, but hearing loss must be the saddest disability.... however, Beethoven seemed to manage :)

If you don't mind sharing, I would love to hear your stories or the stories of musicians you know.

Thank you, <3

I have a decapitated finger tip on my left hand middle finger. It has never ever been a handicap nor a hinderance even playing guitar or keys. Only little kids notice it.I never even think about it.
+4
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #23
TeeGee Supporter
I got some tips of fingers missing on both hands, so finger picking is not on anymore, and on the left hand I got some issues with certain chords, so I play around that. So complicated jazz chords are also not on the menu, but I guess they weren't anyway. Long live the spirit of Django Reinhard :W
+5
posted on #24
Shamika Supporter
I didn't realize that playing a guitar was so dangerous to people's welfare :0

Today I was wondering about something else :)
Has anyone experienced any unexplained rises in song views/plays on YouTube ?.
The back story, I had a song that reached 48k views, I removed it as I realized it was attracting people who were into 'spanking' But last night on a different (quieter) channel I uploaded a new innocent little song and it has already climbed to 270 views, way above my normal tally. This is an anomaly I don't understand :| There is nothing suggestive or controversial in the title or the lyrics !
+3
posted on #25
rootshell Supporter
wow, missing fingertips seems to be common :o i feel fortunate, i guess, to just deal with carpal tunnel, which usually limits my play time to around an hour a session before my hands start to go numb.
+2
posted on #26
LittleWing Supporter
Does Erectile Dysfunction qualify as a handicap?
+2
posted on #27
Shamika Supporter
LittleWing wrote:

Only if that was part of your act :)
+2
posted on #28
TeeGee Supporter
LittleWing wrote:

I don't think so, you are doing pretty good!
+1
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #29
TeeGee Supporter
Shamika wrote:

Lol it's not the guitar, it's the other love of my life that got me into finger trouble: Motorcycles, cars and engines :D
+1
posted on #30
LittleWing Supporter
Shamika wrote:

Back in the day I once played a gig and somehow a ladies under garment found itself onstage. I was unaware and slipped on it and landed face down on a hardwood stage . I broke the guitar in half and had a huge gash in the noggin. While it wasn’t the guitar that was the hazard, had I not been holding one , I wouldn’t have been as messed up for days from the Impalement.
+5
posted on #31
Major 3rd
LOL!!!! now that's an unusual occurrence.....you should write a book.....Mine wasn't as unique and no injuries except to pride...but the first time I ever got on stage with a band I was getting ready for my solo and when I moved forward to let it rip I stepped on the guitar chord .....no solo...LOL
+3
posted on #32
LittleWing Supporter
Lets not forget paper cuts on the fingertip that get caught on the string.
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Thumb_Open_Paper_Cut-_photo.jpg[/img]
+2
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
posted on #33
Shamika Supporter
Ouch, so painful :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moving on :-

Today I was 'wondering' about drugs and mind altering substances in relation to music making!

Many famous musicians were notorious for using narcotics. People attributed their success to an enhanced state that helped them to produce great music, but is it proven that these things make people more creative, imaginative and original ....... or is it just a cultural myth ? Does a successful artist need psychedelic drugs to produce psychedelic music.for example ?

And if a production or performance is enhanced artificially should it be declared in the same way as athletes have to ?

Finally, how about the coffee/tea debate - ever present at the Loops. Coffee (as a stimulant) or tea (as a relaxant) do they have a positive or negative effect on your output ?
posted on #34
zedders Supporter
All I can say is that the music I most revere from my youth was 100% made by people who were off their faces on one drug or another, but it isn't something that keeps working. While it's novel it works, after that it seems to make people really boring.
Coffee and tea are both stimulants BTW.
posted on #35
LittleWing Supporter
Let Joe Walsh explain how too much cocaine affects a performance. Wait for the vocals…

[youtube]TQArYV5mUL8?si=fEeTR0-Py61gzYQp[/youtube]

Nowadays Modafinil and other "Smart Drugs" are the drug for musicians. They can be can be obtained legally thru prescription or else thru black market.

Modafinil is the "King " of all smart drugs.

Modafinil has an interesting side effect … it makes the user increasingly alert with razor sharp focus. It also allows the brain to rapidly absorb memories and information that can be recalled with ease. These can be recalled even when not taking the drug. The brain becomes a sponge for absorbing everything coming thru the eyes and ears.

It was developed for gulf war jet pilots to stay aware with laser focus after hours without sleep .

Obama was found to have this in his system two years in row. The person who wrote this article didnt really know what Modafinil was..
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-white-house-mystery-drug

The movie Limitless was based on Modfinil and it used experiences of patients from the trial studies. Those trial studies include tests where people learned piano within weeks and developed to concert pianist level within a month .
No task cannot be accomplished, and the user finds unlimited motivation and comprehension.There is no "crash" or "come down".

The movie however is an exaggeration but introduced people to modafinil although it is called NZT-48. It however set off the "Smart Drug " trend which is still going strong.

In this scene he just pops a NZT(Modafinil) pill and runs into his landlords wife who is screaming for the late rent. It exaggerates what a Modafinil dosage is capable of....

[youtube]UjlllZA8iKE?si=-dep75l5x25CirzT[/youtube]

There is a huge black market for it amongst college students to study for midterms and finals.

It can be prescribed legally for people who do shift work and feel fatigue from alternating day and night work shifts or patients who travel alot and experience jet lag. Corporate CEOS and Athaletes all use it as well.

It IS NOT Adderall or for ADHD despite ill informed persons linking it as such. It was developed by the military to keep fighter pilots aware WITHOUT jitteriness and over stimulation.It IS a controlled substance but not that hard to get prescribed.

For musicians it opens up their instrument effortlessly.

[img]https://www.addictionresource.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/modafinil.jpg[/img]

https://www.tatler.com/article/the-rise-of-smart-drugs
+1
posted on #36
Shamika Supporter
Thanks LW, that was most informative, I played the Joe Walsh vid but I couldn't hear the lyrics very well. With drugs, I think it does depend on your starting point as some people are half way there even before taking them.

I've hit a dry patch in performing at the Loops - maybe I need a break because I keep downloading templates ... then when I get them home I realize I already did a remix and I'd completely forgotten. Even when I play my remix I don't always recognize the song.

Anyone else here who has reached a point where the loops are going around in ever decreasing circles and you keep writing the same song over and over.

Do you have a range of chords, note patterns or lyric rhymes that you tend to go back to as your default because it's easier and you know it works ?

Are you in a musical rut or roundabout. Do you recognize the 'comfort zone' effect in other wikiloops regulars ?
+4
posted on #37
FrankieJ Supporter
Shamika wrote:

More 'Wondering' from me today.

I've hit a dry patch in performing at the Loops - maybe I need a break because I keep downloading templates ... then when I get them home I realize I already did a remix and I'd completely forgotten. Even when I play my remix I don't always recognize the song.

Anyone else here who has reached a point where the loops are going around in ever decreasing circles and you keep writing the same song over and over.

Do you have a range of chords, note patterns or lyric rhymes that you tend to go back to as your default because it's easier and you know it works ?

Are you in a musical rut or roundabout. Do you recognize the 'comfort zone' effect in other wikiloops regulars ?

I upload a lot of templates and many times I find myself wondering: Have I played and uploaded this previously? I had to quit worrying about that and just play what I feel at the moment.
If I unknowingly have played and uploaded it before maybe this time I will play it better.
+4
posted on #38
ROBJOL Supporter
FrankieJ wrote:
Shamika wrote:

More 'Wondering' from me today.

I upload a lot of templates and many times I find myself wondering: Have I played and uploaded this previously? I had to quit worrying about that and just play what I feel at the moment.
If I unknowingly have played and uploaded it before maybe this time I will play it better.

I did that so many times. I played more than 2000 times on WL.
When I want to add to a music I upload it on a hard drive and then use it on mu computer for music. Often I forget to erase the basic track on the hard drive. Some time later I find it on the hard drive and play on it again.
So before posting a track I always look if I did not play on it before.
But what is amazing is that when I play on a song I played before, I play almost the same thing. Maybe it is because I always play the same thing. Ha! Ha!
+2
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
posted on #39
Shamika Supporter
Thanks Frankie and Rob for being so 'up-front' about the possibility you may repeat yourself (like me).
When you think about it there are a limited amount of notes and chords and musicians have trying to find the best combinations forever.
I did an experiment once to upload backing tracks from well known songs like "Imagine" and adding completely different melody lines and lyrics.... very few people realized and I was able to create very different songs. You can also change pitch and speed and instrument of course. What a wonderful hobby music making is :D<3
+1
posted on #40
rootshell Supporter
it's good to take a break and 're-inspire' yourself. i'm currently sick, so it's been a nice un-natural break to playing/creating :) sometimes listening to genres you may not normally listen to is fun, it can inspire something. i really like listening to others, because something they play or do may trigger something. a lot of things go incomplete though as well, i'll have the initial 'spark', then it fizzes haha.
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I love this place!! its all about the music&supporting eachother nothing else!! :)
frenzie from Netherlands

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.