Home »Forum»Open mic at the blue Iguana »How to play in "Drop D"

How to play in "Drop D"

posted on #1
I understand the tuning, but I've never seen an explanation of what happens to the notes, and what translation has to be done....I assume the notes available change on the D string is that correct?

Maybe that's not it at all. I don't know! Anyone willing to explain? I have already googled it and didn't find a clear answer.
posted on #2
Supporter
nope ! a drop D is your lowest E string tuned down to D :)
there's also a double drop D version where you will also tune down your first E string to D
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #3
Supporter
I've been experimenting with detuning on my bass because my band is playing some songs in E flat and D. Drop D on a bass as Olivbee said involves tuning down the E string on step, which gives you access to a low D and low E flat. The problem with that is that it changes the fingerings on the songs you have learned in standard tuning. You can also tune down every string a half step (for E flat) or a whole step (for D) which preserves the same fingering patterns (just move up the neck one or two frets). String tension becomes an issue sometimes too; you may need a thicker gauge set of strings for detuning. I just did a Wikiloops jam in D standard (all strings funded down a full step) with a new set of slightly thicker strings. It came out ok but I can notice the floppiness of the strings when I play. You can adjust your playing technique so as not to pluck so vigorously to compensate.
Edited by bhunt1 on 31-12-2014 14:40
posted on #4
Supporter
You can buy from almost every brand a drop D set for guitar.
Highly recommended ‘cause a common gauge 6th string (ex. O53) tends to vibrate in an uneven manner, which results in a higher pitch at the attack and then descends.
There are even drop C# or drop C strings available.
posted on #5
Wow thanks for the great answers guys.
posted on #6
Supporter
With a drop tuning it is much easyer to play fast powerchords - because you only need one finger instead of two to play the powerchords with the lowest strings ;)
Tha bass has to be a lil louder...!
posted on #7
Depending on what you consider Drop D (experts might argue here ;)), you might just drop the lowest string down to D, you can additionally drop down the highest E string to D.

But you might also drop down the high B string to A. Then you have an open Dsus4 chord with no 3rd, so D major and D minor are possible. Also the overtones are working great. A good example for what is possible with that tuning (he is playing D minor, also consider the overtones in 3:00-3:20), see here:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-h6MoF7HLA[/youtube]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-h6MoF7HLA]Chris Jones - Long After You're Gone[/url]

You can then additionally tune down the G string to Gb/F#, which gives you an open D major, which is often used in the blues/country genres. Example:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW08Rc802MQ[/youtube]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW08Rc802MQ]Roy Rogers (slide guitar) - Walkin Blues[/url]
Edited by hurzel on 27-01-2015 18:21
posted on #8
Supporter
the drop D you described (both E strings down to D) is a double drop D ;)
and the sublime modal (sus4) tuning you mentioned is the famous DADGAD used by many ... i have posted lots of tracks in this tuning ;)
open D is excellent for playing major in slide :)
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #9
Supporter
For the record :the drop D tuning is not that new,the first movement of J.Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez (1939)is in drop D tuning.
David Graham encountered the Dsus4 tuning(DADGAD)in 1964.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Bruno.A from France

"Great musicians and big jam for free ... what else ?"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.