Home »Forum»Musicians forum»Edits & Performance - where's your line?

Edits & Performance - where's your line?

posted on #21
User Avatar Member
I would agree with you Martin and most others I have read. I listen to the track and fiddle with generalities a couple of times, then hit go. Unless there are absolute total screw ups, you get what you get. I will, on some occasions, just for the sake of experimentation, try several different approaches. This is when I am doing vocals and trying to generate background vocals, with my limited range. Many times, because of my vocal limits, being 71 doesn't afford me a strong voice, the background vocals get dropped, because they, uh what's the word I'm seeking, oh yeah they suck lol. But almost every guitar track I lay down is 1 take, not perfect, but what you would get in a jam.
posted on #22
User Avatar Supporter
I'm with Davenl99 above..Listen..play once or twice then GO. And I can't speak for my mixing skills...my ears never seem to hear the the same thing the same way every time. I am way less experienced here in everything that happens here(Playing, recording, mixing, I only read the how to's when it is absolutely neccessary. So that makes it even worse for me. Hopefully I'll get good enough in time.
posted on #23
User Avatar Member
When I am trying to jam to a track(with drums,keys, bass, or guitar), I usually want to do it in one take. But most of the time I retake it not less than 3 times. I only do levelling, panning and removing some unwanted noise when there's a pause...

If it it's only a drum track, I take the pleasure of making a structure over it. So meaning, I practice some chord progressions and breaks and trying to think how it fits to the drums. So I listen to the drum track a couple of times to know what's the best thing to do with it. Then I'll try to do it in one shot, if not satisfied then retake. If I got lazy and don't want to do retake them I try to layer some guitars (This is one reason why I always have 2 or 3 guitars, just to cover those mistakes)

When I am making a template, I practice some chords and patterns and record it...then think of another idea and if it fits then record continues, same process, until I think it's okay.
kennyadry
posted on #24
User Avatar Member
Quantization is forbidden. I usually do one take, then overdub over the messy parts.

For something complicated, like a piano solo over fast chord changes, I'll record one take full of mistakes, to get a roadmap of the flow and overall ideas, then I'll redo the lines over it, one or 2 at a time.
posted on #25
User Avatar Member
I’m not that keen about a one take recording.

It’s a bit like composing a song: you can write a song in 5 minutes and yes it might be a good one, but…….maybe if you let it grow a bit, and listen to it the next day, week or month, you realize it’s a bit boring or the structure is not that good or the melody line is going nowhere…..and it might become a lot better if you make some changes, you’ll never know unless you try it.
The same with recording, the first take may be decent one, but the 29th might have elements that blow you away.
The most “guitar heroes “make dozen of takes, and then filter out the most interesting parts and yes …then do them in one take for the max of feel.
You have to give your ideas time to grow.

My second thought is you can’t expect from yourself that you hear every chord inversion, note ,rhythm from the bassline, accents from the drummer … ,change in nuance from other musicians etc.…….even after a few times listening to the track…while your busy in figuring out where you want YOUR melody line to go to.

I think it's a bit like marrying the girl next door, might be the right one but.....or buying the first guitar you stumble on entering the musicstore.
Edited by fanne on November 22 2015 22:48
posted on #26
User Avatar Member
Even though I've done a number of studio recordings with the bands I've played with, I consider myself a newbie at recording. I am still figuring out the workflow that would work best for me and you sharing your ways and opinions helps a lot because this is different from recording a song that's been completely arranged at band rehearsals, and it's essential knowledge to wannabe session musician like me.
I have a couple tracks on here and what I've learned so far is that (not that I didn't know that) listening is the key part, everything else doesn't matter that much and is only a technique thing.

I listen to a track, find the harmonies on my bass - playing chords and arpeggio-like stuff just to get hold of where the song is on my fretboard. I won't use all the notes later on, but it will be the base of what I play.

Then it's only a matter of finding the right balance between the rhythm that the drummer and other instruments play and singer's flow. Usually takes one take.

After that, I listen to it and make notes for the subtle, groovy stuff like holding some note longer, a tiny pause or ghost note - things that emphasize the stuff others are doing and makes the song... how to put it.. breathe. If you know what I mean.

Then I do the second take and that's always been THE take so far.

I've always played with fingers and had 5string basses only, so I don't happen to have problems with timing and muting the other strings which seems to be a major problem for loads of other (amateur like me) guys I know.
I am, however, very new to fretless bass playing (couple months) and an 80's instrument I have is not a perfect starter fretless bass, but, well, that's the one I have and my biggest concern so far is the intonation. If I mess up a take, it will be the intonation, not timing, and no editing can solve that, I'll just have to do redo the section or the whole take.

Hope I shared some useful information. Check out my tracks! Cheers!
posted on #27
User Avatar Member
For me as a vocalist I usually just keep trying until I get it right... and when I do, I like to record it in one go... and when I tried that many many times and still get a flaw.. and get tired.. I tend to give up and post it.. knowing that maybe I should've just wait for another moment and retry.. But when I do that I'm sure there will be another flaw I hear... (most musicians are there own worst critic)

But sometimes... when I use double vocals or do my own backing vocals I tend to keep flaws when the two or tree takes together create something magical. I also will then, record in parts...

And sometimes I just do one take... as I sang the first attempt with so much emotion that i'm afraid/scared/insecure the next take won't have the emotion in it anymore.

So it depends a little bit per song....

My most concern though is the never ending battle with microphone settings.. I think I now have a descent vocal treatment, a bit reverb, some more ambiance and a nice EQ set up... but I can't rely on just one setting as each song I sing on has a different EQ and i'm a complete noob when it comes to hearing and then adjust my eq on vocals to it...
Plus currently I record via my inbuilt mic on the mac.. and as you can guess that is not the best quality... lol

As soon as I can afford a new audio interface I can use my AKG condenser mic again... but untill then I'm stuck with the inbuilt :)

Nice topic!
Edited by Moor on April 23 2016 16:24
"You'll Stumble In My Footsteps" - Depeche Mode
"I always listen to what people are not saying"
posted on #28
User Avatar Member
Generally speaking, I prefer feeling over absolute perfection.

Generally speaking.

But as a bassist I have to be perfect with the drummer and also a little offbeat need to be in right timing.

And I have this feeling that i will never reach my "feeling peace" ;)
posted on #29
User Avatar Supporter
The way I go about selecting a song to join and recording it has evolved since joining WikiLoops. I have learned so much about playing and recording; this really is what makes WL so amazing!

1st of all I look for a good song. To me it is about the jam now, getting involved with other musicians and writing a good song. Also I seem to be most comfortable in hard rock, alternative jams...this is what I like to listen to and jam, so be it. I ventured in some jazz and funk, and learned a ton, but that's not where my heart is...

2nd. I have upgraded my recording system on GarageBand. Say what you want about GB, but like any Apple product you can make it what you want (you just have to work at it). I created my own click loop, which I can adjust the tempo and volume on...now I can hear the click and bury it. This has helped me do songs in one take, and usually the 1st or 2nd time at it. What a confidence builder...
I also have created a track for each section of my drum kit (snare mic, bass drum mic, cymbals etc..) and 1 track for overhead mics and 1 track for room mics (yes I bought a really good drumming magazine)! These change have made a huge difference in my playing/recording and confidence.

Lastly, I am no one to judge if someone is "Lying" about what they are doing with their recording...whatever it takes to get the job done, right? I messed around with quantization at one point. I used it a long time ago when I didn't have drums and was programming beats, and I needed it because it was impossible to tap things out in correct time. Unfortunately it doesn't work so well when playing live drums...fills get "corrected" and end up sounding fake!! Anyway, nothing beats burying a click...(and dont kid yourself, I'm sure they use Q all the time on modern recordings along with auto tune)...

and finally, I like things to sound great, but not perfect...rock and roll is not a perfect art...it's a little down and dirty!

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lWdx52OnFos/VqbEoCkwJDI/AAAAAAAAvL0/CawXMIlUlDk/s1600/Neil%2BYoung%2B%2540%2BTh%25C3%25A9atre%2BMogador%252C%2BParis%2B%252C%2Bfor%2BCarmignac%252C%2BJan%2B25%2B2016%2B%252835%2529.jpg[/img]
cheers

rp3
rp3 (Raymond)
posted on #30
User Avatar Supporter
I like the one take..However for me..it (sometimes)takes several to get it right. I need the practice..so..

It's weird..Sometimes I can hit it(something good) on the first go..other times.it's better to get an idea and then maybe work(develop) on that idea the next time I play.

I am amazed at how my mood, or even level of fatigue can effect what comes out of my horn. There are times I just have to put the horn down and say.."Nope..Can't do it tonight"

And as Wade mentioned..as a sax player..it's pretty difficult to edit different playing sessions into one good remix.

Mark
Edited by Fishinmissio on May 22 2016 01:32
posted on #31
Since most of the time I stick with blues,(but not always) I don't need to worry as much about changes, so I can just fire off whatever I feel, Usually within 3 or 4 takes and then I give up, as I start second guessing myself. I might dub in a couple of notes or phrases if I like the general feel but totally blew something. I like to treat this site more as a live jam, and whatever comes, out comes out. However since the overall caliber of musician on here is so high, and I don't want to embarrass myself, I will also play something to death every now and then as well.
I went back and listened to a couple of earlier things I did, and now want to delete them !
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
colecr from United States

"Thanks Wikiloops for enabling me to connect with musicians around the world. Offering a little financial support is the least I can do."

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy ..