Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
What type of player are you?

What type of player are you?

posted on #21
Acousticeg Supporter
mortheol wrote:
I am a "Jack of all trades, Master of none"...:P
[img]https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019/06/09/books/review/09Holt-SUB01/merlin_155367177_1777fb11-2108-4627-b4d8-d5e235b994b4-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp[/img]

I am as well.:)
+5
posted on #22
Acousticeg Supporter
First I'd like to say I consider you a friend. You stepped up and offer me help in a very low point in my life. I will always remember and appreciate that yes there are still people with a good heart. That are empathetic to others pain. I always look forward to hearing you play. And honestly have never heard anything that wasn't meaningful and beautiful. So indeed you do meet all the qualifications for making a great song ever better. As for what kind of player am I...the composers,finished or unfinished,the jammers,the tagger and the incompetent loud playing narcissist...lol! I admit to being all of these and more. The least would be the Tagger. Because of the way Wiki is set up every one can post to a song they are inspired by. There is no time limit to post. And unlike other sites where the originator of the track can pick and choose who adds, which is always only the people that person likes. Part of the friends and family feeling here at Wiki is that No one has to be left out regardless of skill and or time to post quickly. There really isn't a prize for being first. More often than not I find my favorite add further down the tree of adds. I have worked around high voltage transformers. An interesting warning I would often see was "Never Assume Anything" It's a good rule to live by as well. Anyway I have posted a few adds where I did not give credit to the others involved as you have pointed out recently. I made the mistake of assuming that credit would go to all. My adds are never made with the intent to steal any ones thunder. I will how ever give credit to the others to which my add is posted from now on. Another great point you made is not giving constructive criticism when it would be much more helpful in the long run then a pat on the back. The down side you have to be very careful about giving criticism.As most do not take criticism well, constructive or not. I think it is a skill in it's self to be able to give it without them feeling like your looking down your nose at them.This is a helpful read. https://www.bustle.com/articles/165434-9-ways-to-give-constructive-criticism-that-are-actually-helpful There are other things I could go into, but I've rambled on long enough. Thank you for your friendship. And for sharing your thoughts and music with us all.
Rick :)
+7
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #23
jamlady Supporter
I understand myself as a servant of music.

I always try to understand what a template or track needs. Sometimes I feel like a sculptor working out a structure out of a block of stone. I hear the potential in music.
My goal is to focus only on the expression that the music needs. I listen very attentively to the instruments and try to merge with them.
I always play with passion.
My goal is to serve the music.
I strive to make the music of others shine.
The music itself must always be in the foreground.
It does not always depend on the virtuosity or complexity, but it must always fit and serve the overall expression of the music.
+16
posted on #24
Acousticeg Supporter
jamlady wrote:

I always try to understand what a template or track needs. Sometimes I feel like a sculptor working out a structure out of a block of stone. I hear the potential in music.
My goal is to focus only on the expression that the music needs. I listen very attentively to the instruments and try to merge with them.
It does not always depend on the virtuosity or complexity, but it must always fit and serve the overall expression of the music.

Passion is the instrument I hold next to my heart. Passion are the notes it sings in the light of my happiness. And in the dark of my despair.Passion is the universal language all heats know and all ears understand...
+6
posted on #25
LittleWing Supporter
jamlady wrote:

You could not have said that any more professional nor anymore beautifully, Claudia.
+6
posted on #26
ROBJOL Supporter
You are a soulful musician with a heart as big as a house. <3
+4
posted on #27
bhunt1 Supporter
Very interesting discussion. I don’t know which category I would fit best into, but I can say my goal is to get a groove going that fits the song. There are great players here that I can’t always keep up with technically, but I can groove along a bit with them, and that’s fun 😺
+4
posted on #28
jussef63
Hello, what a great topic Wade, I think I am a music lover, I have jammed jazz, metal, funk, experimental, electronic, salsa, Cuban son, Latin jazz, flamenco, experimental stuff, classic, I just love to jam with the things that I like, my adds are very rarely the first ones, I am actually the last one on most of the tracks I jam, I have posted some compositions and also made some experimental mixings and editions, I just browse new and old tracks and if I like something then I just jam it, also here I learned that you guys like when I sing lol but I hate it...., I have met wonderful people here, friendly, helpful, caring and overall great human beings......about being constructive with criticism its very hard, I guess if someone asks me maybe I can share my knowledge on something...if no one asks then I just like to enjoy every note you guys play.

I like to listen to everyone, but I do have my preferences depending on the mood I have when I am ready to jam
+11
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #29
magirtiko
Hmm ...

I'm not a composer, I'm not anxious to be the first to baptize a new track or template.

So, I think to be a jammer ... just for fun :)
+5
posted on #30
wjl Supporter
Hey friends,

just wrote a few more thoughts about this discussion into a short article on my blog, together with three examples of very fine music (my personal taste, but maybe you'll agree).

Find it on https://wolfgang.lonien.de/2019/08/does-the-music-really-need-me-three-counter-examples/

And thanks (in advance) for reading.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
+1
posted on #31
eGiL Supporter
Too much philosophy kills the music! Less talking, more music making! ;)
+7
posted on #32
Tofzegrit Supporter
eGiL wrote:
Too much philosophy kills the music! Less talking, more music making! ;)

No doubt eGiL, you’re a Rebel :)
+3
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
posted on #33
eGiL Supporter
Tofzegrit wrote:
No doubt eGiL, you’re a Rebel :)

Born and raised as one! :D
+2
posted on #35
blubasso
Well, interesting thread!
I am, at this time, defintely a jammer. I said "at this time" because now i like to play, after almost 11 years of quasi-nothing, i rediscovered the pleasure to play. Or maybe i never stopped to like to play. I just needed some other things in my life an i put music onpause. Dunno...

I am a jammer now because i want to play. Simply playing with others. Usually i wait for 3-4 people joining a track, listen the risult and try my best to glue alltogether, doing what my ear suggests me to do.
I am a composer too (well, not so great, but still...), but for now i want just play.

What i am not, is the tagger: i am not interested to be the first one to play under a template and i need something just ready to add "salt and pepper".
Last, i am a curious person: i like to play whatever hits my curiosity and immagination. Genre is not influent: what is must be done, will be done. Music is music.
+1
posted on #36
pconey
Wade, another thought provoking and interesting post from you!

Hmmm....

Id say im an ideas man, and a thinking mans musician. I like to jam too but most of what i do on here involves thinking about what will compliment other peoples music. I occasionally compose nonsense for fun, but in essence im a collaborator :)
+4
posted on #37
Telemetry Supporter
mortheol wrote:
I am a "Jack of all trades, Master of none"...:P
[img]https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019/06/09/books/review/09Holt-SUB01/merlin_155367177_1777fb11-2108-4627-b4d8-d5e235b994b4-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp[/img]

There is more than one of use here. (LOL)
+3
posted on #38
MM3 Supporter
Great post Wade, great thread , interesting read. Thank you.
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
posted on #39
AsEyeAm
my approach is to support whats allready there and leave room for more to come.
posted on #40
Philgox
Hello,

In real life I'm a jammer and a composer.
But in wikiloops I don't really know yet.
Not enough experience here.
I'm sure I don't care for being the first to add so I just know I'm not a tagger.
Most time I randomly pick tracks and play on it.
But i often say: This is great as it is, it doesn't need my banjo.
So I pick bare tracks with not much instruments and play along with it.
Sometimes I think my playing is worth recording.
So I do but when listening to my playing I say to myself: Go back to practice man!
So I practice and record again and again till I find it's good enough to be posted.
I have much fun to do this and it improves my playing at the same time.
But my adds just sound like little impros without direction.

I'd love to be a composer for Wikiloops but I wonder how to do this.
I mean sometimes i hear great tracks that sounds like finished songs and I wonder how people achieve this.
Is there concertation between players?
Does someone ask for a chorus or a melody after second verse?
This is a mystery
for me.
So I think I could be a composer in wikiloops if I was asked to and directed.
For exemple if someone asked me:
Could you find me a banjo melody on this beat?
I would be glad to try.
But without this kind of direction I think I will go on being a jammer.
Anyway it's great fun like this.
Love Wikiloops!🙂
+6
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops - the biggest, baddest truly global jam ever. Happening right here, right now, at wikiloops.com!
jmrukkers from Switzerland

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.