Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
The Loop Magazine {WIP}

The Loop Magazine {WIP}

Shamika Posted on Sep 25, 2026 #1
Shamika
SUPPORTER
Posts: 1058
Joined: Feb 4, 2012
You've heard of Rolling Stone Magazine!
You've heard of NME (New Musical Express) Magazine!
Then Billboard, Mixmag, Mojo, Pitchfork and many more.

What about a new magazine called 'The Loop' (or something similar) only available to wikiloops.com members.

The Magazine could include
* Member's news, reviews, videos and photographs.
* A problems page, a games and fun section and lots of interactive opportunities.
* A chance to advertise, recommend, discuss new music and feature new artists at wikiloops and also in the mainstream, charts etc.
* A feature that many may enjoy could be 'Memory Lane' where you can reminisce.
+3
rootshell Posted on Sep 25, 2026 #2
rootshell
SUPPORTER
Posts: 621
Joined: Jul 4, 2020
would be cool if there was a 'blog' section of the site, would be a great fit for this idea.

those long multi-page forum posts of info are always a pain.

future idea, Dick spins up like a Wordpress-style blog site, theloop.wikiloops.com , a magazine-style site for people to contribute articles :) might be a pipe dream but one can only hope and dream, right? :)
+2
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
$275
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
bluvation Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #3
bluvation
SUPPORTER
Posts: 347
Joined: Jun 2, 2018
Sounds like a fun project, although a lot of work for you to meet a weekly deadline I think. Maybe a monthly issue would be a less stressful approach but either way you have my vote. A good idea, I'll be looking forward to the first issue :W
+2
Shamika Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #4
Shamika
SUPPORTER
Posts: 1058
Joined: Feb 4, 2012
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm very impulsive and I didn't think it through too much before putting it out there last night. So in the cold light of today I'll think about what the format might be taking in your thoughts and thoughts of anyone else who's interested.

New and different Forum threads have been thin on the ground since I got here. Maybe musicians don't all like reading or writing, maybe it's a language problem. Oddly enough, as I was thinking about this I noticed 2 new threads yesterday from Joe and Nick - that's the kind of thing I'd like to feature in The Loop. I don't want long, posts, just a round up of stuff that's happening on this site.

I'll say this is a "Work in progress" for the time being, thank you, Sham :)
+2
rootshell Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #5
rootshell
SUPPORTER
Posts: 621
Joined: Jul 4, 2020
love the idea Shamika <3 would be nice to see something like that happen. would you consider an outside site that was all about Wikiloops or would it have to live here for continuity?
Shamika Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #6
Shamika
SUPPORTER
Posts: 1058
Joined: Feb 4, 2012
rootshell wrote:
love the idea Shamika <3 would be nice to see something like that happen. would you consider an outside site that was all about Wikiloops or would it have to live here for continuity?


Thanks Nick, you may be right, that needs to be thought about. However, my first hurdle is the name "The Loop" A little research and I find the internet is littered with blogs, podcasts, magazines what-have-you that use the 'in the loop' idea.

I realise it's hard to be original these days but an outside site might have to come up with something exclusive to wikiloops. Any suggestions folks ?
+2
Lazyprune Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #7
Lazyprune
SUPPORTER
Posts: 124
Joined: Jun 15, 2024
I think it’s a very good and beautiful idea Shamika.
This blog could perhaps be part of this site, an access icon on the site itself but outside the forum.
I don’t know if it’s possible and technically feasible by the site administrators.

A monthly version seems interesting to me.

I propose a name: "The Platypus". Who could represent the variety and creativity of our musicians and singers on Wikiloops, just as nature has created an animal that defies all laws of logic. What creativity and audacity in the genetics of this animal!

What do you think?: )
+2
Shamika Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #8
Shamika
SUPPORTER
Posts: 1058
Joined: Feb 4, 2012
Lazyprune wrote:
I think it’s a very good and beautiful idea Shamika.
This blog could perhaps be part of this site, an access icon on the site itself but outside the forum.
I don’t know if it’s possible and technically feasible by the site administrators.

A monthly version seems interesting to me.

I propose a name: "The Platypus". Who could represent the variety and creativity of our musicians and singers on Wikiloops, just as nature has created an animal that defies all laws of logic. What creativity and audacity in the genetics of this animal!

What do you think?: )


Thank you Elisabeth, some good thoughts there. I searched Platypus (blogs, publications etc) and there are quite a few around. In fact I've spent ages looking for something original, anything with 'loop, loops or loopers' has been used everywhere. The wikiloops name IS unique so that's an advantage. I just had a flash of inspiration for the name "Jamzine" :D
+1
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
$2,055
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
Shamika Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #9
Shamika
SUPPORTER
Posts: 1058
Joined: Feb 4, 2012
If wikilooper's shared interest is music and jamming then an online magazine or blog should be called a "JAMZINE"
+2
bluvation Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #10
bluvation
SUPPORTER
Posts: 347
Joined: Jun 2, 2018
I like 'The Platypus Loop' which combines both your original choice and Elizabeth's suggestion:W
+1
Lazyprune Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #11
Lazyprune
SUPPORTER
Posts: 124
Joined: Jun 15, 2024
bluvation wrote:
I like 'The Platypus Loop' which combines both your original choice and Elizabeth's suggestion:W


Exellent idea bluvation. :)

My propositions of possible logos (did with AI).
Lazyprune attached the following image:

attached image
+2
Lazyprune Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #12
Lazyprune
SUPPORTER
Posts: 124
Joined: Jun 15, 2024
Second logo.
Lazyprune attached the following image:

attached image
+2
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
$275
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
bluvation Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #13
bluvation
SUPPORTER
Posts: 347
Joined: Jun 2, 2018
Lazyprune wrote:
bluvation wrote:
I like 'The Platypus Loop' which combines both your original choice and Elizabeth's suggestion:W


Exellent idea bluvation. :)

My propositions of possible logos (did with AI).


They look great Elizabeth :W
+1
Shamika Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #14
Shamika
SUPPORTER
Posts: 1058
Joined: Feb 4, 2012
Thanks for your Loop logos LP, very cute.
Because the Platypus is only found in Australia maybe it's not 'universal' enough.
There's a walking/cycling trail in Australia called The "Platipus Loop". You see how hard it is to be unique.
It's a good start but let's see if there are more suggestions in the pipeline before deciding :)
rootshell Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #15
rootshell
SUPPORTER
Posts: 621
Joined: Jul 4, 2020
"Inside The Loop"

or something like that

The Loop Confidential

you get the idea :)
rootshell Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #16
rootshell
SUPPORTER
Posts: 621
Joined: Jul 4, 2020
The Loop Scoop

if you're familiar with the term "getting the scoop"...like finding out information

can also play on "scoop" like a scoop of ice cream
rootshell attached the following image:

attached image

Edited by rootshell on September 26, 2026 at 7:10 PM
+1
Shamika Posted on Sep 26, 2026 #17
Shamika
SUPPORTER
Posts: 1058
Joined: Feb 4, 2012
Thanks Nick - great logo - The name does make me think of a Poop Scoop however :D

There's a lesson on Musiquest.com called The Loop Scoop" where students are introduced to the concept of music looping

loopscoop.io is a site for finding unique & experimental music samples

The Loop Scoop is also a site for crochet pattens (I'm sure Harmut knows it :D

There is an ice cream company called Loop and Scoop :D

Having said that Loop Scoop is more unique than Platypus as a name.

Your suggestion goes into the hat too :)
+1
Shamika Posted on Sep 27, 2026 #18
Shamika
SUPPORTER
Posts: 1058
Joined: Feb 4, 2012
I'm out of my comfort zone with this idea now. I was checking domain names and website ideas and I ended up losing sleep last night. My simple brain can only take so much technology. I couldn't even save the images in this thread. I think I know what to call the magazine now, I'll have to call it a day :o:D
+1
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
$45
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
TeeGee Posted on Sep 27, 2026 #19
TeeGee
SUPPORTER
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sep 27, 2014
lets call it the "Loopsidaily - coming to you once a week" :D
Dick Posted on Sep 27, 2026 #20
Dick
SUPPORTER
Posts: 3036
Joined: Dec 30, 2010
sweet initiative here which has my support!

Choosing a name is one challenge, but there are others which I feel you folks should not wait too long with, being:
An independent fanzine could indeed be set up on a separate domain to wikiloops, but if it is intended to be "members only", you'd have to share access with wikiloops authentication, which would be pretty difficult. The only easy option to provide the "internal" character would be a subdomain on wikiloops, like jamzine.wikiloops.com or similar - then you could easily use wikiloops log in for access control, and besides reader access, you need to control who is allowed to publish on the 'zine - any member of wikiloops, or just a select group?
Who is playing the editor role? These questions need answers, if you go to an independent domain and setting up a public wordPress like blog, you are free to do whatever you like, and grant publishing access to whomever, but if using wikiloops user accounts is desired, then the separate domain is out of the game, and I'd need to provide the infrastructure- which I could do, once the questions are settled.

The other, possibly more flexible option would be this (tho it does not lead to a magazine like result, mind):

Assume writing a blog post would be a feature of wikiloops, maybe with an entry point on your profile. Anyone could use that feature and write a blog post on whatever they have on their mind, with a central "new blog posts" list somewhere.
Why could that be a nice thing? Because we have that type of content, like people who like to report on their findings regarding music related topics, or would like to share some wikiloops story. We use the forum for that, but since such posts are not really intended as a discussion but are more of a one-way communication, the form of a blog would suit them much better. The difference might seem slight, but I sense it, having a comment section below some blog post is different to jumping some forum with something I feel is tellworthy.

The magazine character would be somewhat lost by that approach, tho one could showcase the best recent posts in some monthly format - but who curates that?

I'm open towards both approaches, if I can be of help, let me know.
+5
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
It's better than sitting on the couch watching TV !!! The Wiki Crew Rocks !!!
WHITEPONGO

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.