Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Can you change your mind ?

Can you change your mind ?

posted on #1
Shamika Supporter
Let's call this Therapeutic Thursday and forget about the paranormal happenings on Word-jam Wednesday.

I find one of the most common mental/psychological problems people have is being able to shut down their mind, to get a break from that internal chatter and self analysis. It can keep you awake at night, it can make you feel ill and it can stop you from moving forward.

So when I ask "Can you change your mind" I mean it in two ways ;) You may want to abandon something (or someone) get out of a commitment.... or you can actually change the way your mind works!

* Some say Mindfulness is a good trick, being aware of the present and not focusing on past and future

* Some say Meditation works, taking your mind to a nothingness, moving out of your physical self.

* Some say Distraction is the answer, look outward, see, hear or do something that doesn't involve your present focus... like listening to music or getting into natural environments, socializing, starting new projects and hobbies.

Today I'd like to know
a) What is your go-to coping mechanism ?
b) Are you a 'mind changer' who can't make decisions and commitments ?

I hope this topic appeals to more posters because I'm really interested to know how your mind works - Shamika <3
+1
posted on #2
rootshell Supporter
I'd like to think I have pretty good control of my mind. Very lucky to not have depression, anxiety, etc where it can be hard to focus or clear your mind.

I was asked this similar question by our work wellness person, and my response was music and doing the dishes. music really clears my mind, it's a creative energy that will fill my mind with thoughts and everything outside in the world is suppressed for that time. in a similar way, when I do the dishes, which I think I like doing because of this, that simple task and focus, again, clears my mind. the task is simple, wash, rinse, put away, slightly organize, and try not to break anything. for whatever reason, it's a simple and therapeutic mind process for me :) maybe the warm/hot water is good as well, who knows
+3
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Shamika Supporter
Aw, rootshell, that's nice, just reading it relaxed me ... I find that moving furniture around, the heavier the better, leave me so drained I have no nervous energy left festering away :)
+2
posted on #4
zedders Supporter
I've never had a plan for life, there's never been anything I aimed at and worked towards. I've just bumbled through life letting things happen and grabbing random opportunities rather than looking for them. I'm in my 60's and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

It's hard to be disappointed or frustrated if you don't make any plans that could go wrong.

I like to walk in the hills, on the moors, along rivers and canals. That for me empties my mind and the effects last.

Caring for an autistic sometimes psychotic/schizophrenic 6' 3" adult on a small boat can be a bit stressful if you let it. It builds up, it's sneaky. Last night as I lay in bed thinking that maybe the detrimental effect on my mental health was too much and shortening my life I was thinking of bailing out to be honest... he'll have to look out for himself when I die so best start now sort of thing and honestly there is truth in that, so at 1:30am I went for a nice long walk along the canal towpath in the cool dark. I set off grrrrr but by the time I got back I was back to normal. :)

There's a good person in there somewhere and even if standing there, kitchen knife in each hand screwing his face up and tense, being as threatening as he can without actually taking a swipe, somehow I've never felt threatened at all, he's just defending his mental space (this is NOT a regular occurrence!). He noticed I'd been out and I notice today he's been trying really hard not to stress me out. Even bought me an ice cream earlier, I'm such a pushover. Kids eh? Not just for Christmas.

I have to laugh at everything that goes wrong - THAT is a great way to control/steer your mind. Boom, it's gone - diminished to just another part of the joke that life is.

I think, when your day to day life is like mine, "normal" stuff going a bit wrong is like Phhffft - just stuff to deal with. I simply cannot afford self pity or impatience. I'm not doing or being anything special or clever, just surviving for both our sakes in a situation that is neither of our fault. Nor do I seek to diminish anyone else's frustrations, we all have our version and it's effects on the mind are exactly the same. Maybe your pizza came out of the oven soggy in the middle. lol

Sorry for the essay. Got to talk about it sometimes - that's also a good cure for lifes downs eh?

The answer is yes, you can change your mind, sometimes you simply HAVE to take control of it or you'd go nuts.
+4
posted on #5
rootshell Supporter
@zedders great post my friend <3 I agree with the talking about it part as well. just letting it out in words does wonders, although I learned that so late in life...wish I would have realized that many many years ago.
+3
posted on #6
Shamika Supporter
Never apologise for an essay Zedders, I love reading what someone else has taken the trouble to put into writing, especially as it takes courage to admit that things get hard sometimes. You sound like a very understanding father dealing with your lot and actually finding joy as and when it occurs.

I like that you have a canal, they're my favourite places to walk... even if I feel like throwing myself in at times.

The nice thing about your post and those of others on here, someone will read it and identify with it, and even if they don't (or can't) post themselves, they will get comfort from knowing they are not alone :)
+4
posted on #7
MikeB Supporter
[youtube]ofRUdZ8-O10[/youtube]

Relaxers: Drone noises like those youtube 12 hour relaxation audio videos. Starfield noise being one of my faves.

Mind emboldening routines: watch fstv.com in very short segments, or read a challenging academic book.
+2
posted on #8
TeeGee Supporter
MikeB wrote: Relaxers: Drone noises like those youtube 12 hour relaxation audio videos. Starfield noise being one of my faves. Mind emboldening routines: watch fstv.com in very short segments, or read a challenging academic book.

Hmmm sorry to be a killjoy here but this is not real, it looks to me like a video game with some noise added. If it were the space shuttle it would be silent when cruising in orbit, the only noise would be if it was accelerating at launch, but then the whole thing would be vibrating and moving :)

Anyway, I prefer whale songs as background, very relaxing #47296
+2
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
Shamika Supporter
MikeB wrote:

Relaxers: Drone noises like those youtube 12 hour relaxation audio videos. Starfield noise being one of my faves.

Mind emboldening routines: watch fstv.com in very short segments, or read a challenging academic book.

Thinking about the challenging book idea Mike ;) I find that listening to challenging, academic radio shows surprisingly relaxes me. I try so hard to follow them but eventually just the drone of those voices takes me into a dream-like state. The danger is that you can be woken by some music or an advert... then you get angry... but at least you're distracted from your own ruminations :)
posted on #10
Shamika Supporter
TeeGee, I think dolphins beat whales for relaxation :|
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I support wikiloops because it's a great way for musicians around the world to share ideas and not have their egos kill each other. Thanks.
abyssinal from United States

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.