Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Which instrument should you select as uploaded?

Which instrument should you select as uploaded?

posted on #1
MySounds Supporter
Drums are drums and bass is bass, but if I play a cello on a keyboard, what then?

In the past, I would have selected keyboard as the instrument I added but lately I`m wondering if that`s really helpful for those of us who search for tracks based on instruments (as I really associate sound with an instrument and not so much the physical source of the sound).

So, should the selected instrument be based on the source (keyboard) or based on the output (cello sound)?
What`s the Wikiloops best practice on this?
+4
posted on #2
TeeGee Supporter
I would put Cello on, but make a remark in the track description that it is made using a Keyboard or synthesizer :)
+4
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
LittleWing Supporter
MySounds wrote:
Drums are drums and bass is bass, but if I play a cello on a keyboard, what then?

In the past, I would have selected keyboard as the instrument I added but lately I`m wondering if that`s really helpful for those of us who search for tracks based on instruments (as I really associate sound with an instrument and not so much the physical source of the sound).

So, should the selected instrument be based on the source (keyboard) or based on the output (cello sound)?
What`s the Wikiloops best practice on this?

Select "other stringed" or "other tuned" and you can type in whatever you want like "Keyboard Cello", "Cello(Keys)" or "Synth Cello" etc...

Dick just fixed this feature.
+1
posted on #4
muha.art
For the sake of the search function, I think it would be better to specify the sound (cello) instead of the instrument (keyboard). And as TeeGee suggests, add a reference to the keyboard.
After all, I don't know whether people would search for a "cello played on a keyboard". I also don't know what results a search for "keyboard cello", "cello(keys)" or "synth cello" will return. Perhaps LittleWing can tell you more about this.
+1
posted on #5
MySounds Supporter
I`ll give it a try.
And it`s not that I have a cello fixation, that was just an example :D

muha.art wrote:
For the sake of the search function, I think it would be better to specify the sound (cello) instead of the instrument (keyboard). And as TeeGee suggests, add a reference to the keyboard.
After all, I don't know whether people would search for a "cello played on a keyboard". I also don't know what results a search for "keyboard cello", "cello(keys)" or "synth cello" will return. Perhaps LittleWing can tell you more about this.

+1
posted on #6
TeeGee Supporter
if it sounds like a duck, call it a duck ;)
+1
posted on #7
MySounds Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
if it sounds like a duck, call it a duck ;)

I don't do ducks, but I'm pretty good at penguins and seagulls.
"MySounds on penguin jamming with TeeGee" actually sounds pretty good.
+1
posted on #8
LittleWing Supporter
muha.art wrote:

I agree with you actually. Id hate to see TOO MANY descriptions that arent really used.
Ive used it for horn sections, misc pecussion like triangles, I added just a Guiro once so Guiro....fretless bass and guitar synth but other then that the only thing I would say is perhaps EWI(digital woodwind instruments).

If I did Cello on keys Id probably just select Cello.
+2
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
TeeGee Supporter
Yes it's better to keep it simple. The main reason for declaring the instrument, at the end of the day, is to enable people to find tracks with cello for instance. If don't think anybody would search for Cello keyboard" or similar.
+2
posted on #10
LittleWing Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
Yes it's better to keep it simple. The main reason for declaring the instrument, at the end of the day, is to enable people to find tracks with cello for instance. If don't think anybody would search for Cello keyboard" or similar.

What about “Whoopi cushion “
+2
posted on #11
muha.art
“Whoopi cushion“ = wind instruments B)
+2
posted on #12
Bradford Supporter
Just don’t enter AI.
+1
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
posted on #13
muha.art
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same "instrument" ;), because I always have to translate English texts into German first.
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/Whoopee_cushion.jpg[/img]
+1
posted on #14
LittleWing Supporter
muha.art wrote:
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same "instrument" ;), because I always have to translate English texts into German first.

Yes thats it!
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Timeless, entertaining, helpful, friendly and always surprising! I like when an idea is growing and is constantly reinvented. All users here are wikiloops and I like that. This is not any site on the web, it is wikiloops!
adu from Germany

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.