Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Words / phrases in popular songs I misunderstood

Words / phrases in popular songs I misunderstood

posted on #1
TeeGee Supporter
When I was a wee boy in the 70ies we did not have Google or YouTube, and most of the albums did not have the lyrics written on them. Combine that with a non native English speaker, not so great audio equipment and the probability of confusion was significant.

So I will start with the first two. "God" by John Lennon, in approx. minute 2:25 he sings "I don't believe in cinnamon" - which had me confused, why would John not believe in this very common spice? What is the meaning of this? WHY JOHN WHY???? Obviously a few years later I did find out that he actually meant Zimmerman, but, for many years it did my head in :)

Anyway, let's have your woopsidaisy song lyrics moments, preferably with a video

[youtube]7TOOpHCZ4gA?si=YFaMCiVqudCoPuOy[/youtube]
posted on #2
TeeGee Supporter
Another one who I found out later was a bit different is the line "actin' funny but I don't know why, 'scuse me while I kiss this guy".

I was a bit surprised because I had the notion that he was heterosexual and was always pictured with beautiful 6oies chicks, but...why not? Go Jimmi! Obviously I did find out the real lyrics, also cool but definitely not as interesting :D

[youtube]VFHPgoZlSWY?si=sgeuMY3dg6Xd9SCe[/youtube]
+2
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Dick Supporter
just have to add to this thread, too...
same situation here, a non native english speaker growing up in the 80s, a very very early childhood memory of mine is listening to Peter Tosh's "legalize it" on vinyl, which i liked without understanding a single word. Must have been around 5 years old at the time.
Now, I don't know of all of you are familiar with the comic character "Hägar the horrible", but for some reason, I figured the song was about calling Hägar to order ("leise" is quiet in german, so I heard "Hägar, leise!").
I still wonder why my dad had that record, he is much less of a reggae lover then I admitedly still am ;)
Dick attached the following image:

+3
posted on #4
Ernie440 Supporter
All time classic here of misheard lyrics

[youtube]1WFuR-ImtUE[/youtube]
+1
posted on #5
TeeGee Supporter
Lol that is really funny :D The funny thing is, when you look at that you might think he was seriously on something. However he said this on an interview about Woodstock
"Question...Did you try the legendary brown acid? Joe Cocker: I was furious because all the band had taken acid and they didn't tell me. I was the only one straight..."

Good old Joe, I saw him in the early 80ies, one of the BEST concerts ever. Guy is a legend!!
+1
posted on #6
MySounds Supporter
My cringe moment: Listening to Bohemian Rhapsody on a tape deck with speakers that would have profited from technology on the level of a shoestring. Anyway, for a year I listened to that wonderful line "Bismillah no, spare him his life from these Walls Sausages".

I was quite surprised when I bought the record and played it on my dads record player. "Spare him his life from this monstrosity" made slightly more sense. Then again, anyone growing up the the UK in the mid 70s whos school meals mainly consisted of baked beans and Walls sausages will agree that there`s no real difference between the two versions.
+2
posted on #7
bluvation Supporter
Ernie440 wrote:
All time classic here of misheard lyrics

[youtube]1WFuR-ImtUE[/youtube]

They say if you remember it you wasn't there :D
The picture of the Twickenham streaker at .52-.56 reminded me of half time during a England v France rugby match in 1974. I was definately there though not on anything stronger than a few pints of English ale :D:W
+2
posted on #8
ign1704066037
Brenda Lee, "Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFsZy9t-qDc

About 27 seconds in, it sounds like she's singing "later we'll have some fuckin' pie"

I know; it's pumpkin.
+1
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops - the biggest, baddest truly global jam ever. Happening right here, right now, at wikiloops.com!
jmrukkers from Switzerland

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.