Group messaging

posted on #1
Supporter
I think this may have been covered before in some shape or form...

Would it be possible to send a group message? Perhaps set a limit of 5 people (the maximum other musos that might make up a stem?) so as to prevent abuse. It would be really useful for asking for individual contributions to use for remixes. Alternatively, which I think has been mentioned before, perhaps be able to send a group 'request' from a stem for individual mixes.

Just thinking out loud...
posted on #2
That's a great idea :) I second the motion, lol
posted on #3
Supporter
to say it with the great Frank Zappas words
"now, this is a hard one to play :) "
I'll see what I can come up with.
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #4
You can handle it Dick! you managed to come up with one of the best ideas, and making it work on the web so far!! =)
posted on #5
Supporter
Hi Dick, I had to go back to this one.

We've had a chance to play with the group thing for a while now, I don't know if many others are using it. But one of the biggest problems we face is communication between the band members.

When we want to discuss an upload, then only the uploader gets a message if someone posts there but another band member might not be aware of it. The shoutbox is not suitable for musical discussions either.

It would be nice to have a place where we can seriously discuss our music, whose turn it is to get beer etc.

I don't know what other people here think about the band thing, but for me this is a very very cool feature. I love it.
posted on #6
Supporter
@TG - what you are requesting is somewhat different to group messaging as I have understood mpointons request.

To contact a group of users by message, it would be sufficient to allow adding a few recipients to a new message - then one had to decide wether this shall create a group conversation where anyone can see anyone elses replys, or wether the replys should only be seen by the sender of the initial message (basicly, this is what we know as "reply vs. reply to all" distinction in email systems). "reply to all" is the default used by FB for group messaging, I'm not always fond of that tbh.

As for the band segment, I have just had another look at it. I guess what you are asking for could be solved by adding a second tab next to the "Songs" headline, and providing a "general band comments" section there, including the standard comment reply function (same thing as below any track) - this would allow conversations in a more convenient way than the band-shoutbox does, and might not be too hard to integrate. How does that sound?

I'd really like to avoid mixing messages & notifications on activity, this will become confusing quite quickly. Binding the in-band-conversation to the band page seems easy, and notifications would go on your newsfeed as expected.
Group messages should not be mixed with one-on-one messages ideally, because their relevance to the individual recipient may be a lot lower...

For now, it seems to be a good solution to allow sending a message to a few recipients, but keeping the default reply mode as "reply to author only", so any conversations following the initial message will be one-on-one,
and improving the band feature so it can be used as a message group in a better way. *phew*

posted on #7
Supporter
Dick wrote:As for the band segment, I have just had another look at it. I guess what you are asking for could be solved by adding a second tab next to the "Songs" headline, and providing a "general band comments" section there, including the standard comment reply function (same thing as below any track) - this would allow conversations in a more convenient way than the band-shoutbox does, and might not be too hard to integrate. How does that sound?

Sure, sounds good - and if all band members get a notification when someone writes in there, than that's exactly what would help a lot :)

Thanks, TG
posted on #8
Supporter
Thanks TG Strat :)
posted on #9
Supporter
... just to proove theres some progress in what I've been doing lately :)

[img]http://www.wikiloops.com/forum/images/group_msg_dev.png[/img]

posted on #10
Supporter
Cool!!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
bleymehl from Germany

"I's lot of fun listening to music here and even much more fun adding own music to the wonderful tracks from the community. Therefore I'm supporter!"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.