Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»EASY diy GarageBand (etc.. ) USB foot controller

EASY diy GarageBand (etc.. ) USB foot controller

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Hi guys

As a Garageband user, i've struggled frustrated when recording because of having to stop playing, grab the mouse, click here, there & everywhere, my bass neck hanging dangerously close to my iMac's monitor, ready to kill it at any distraction..

Scored the web for solutions & came across a couple, the Apogee Gio & 1 of Korg's Nano controllers
The Apogee is GREAT, nice reviews BUT.. too much for my needs hence way too expensive
The Korg is cheap & seems merry but didn't work quite right

Then i remembered a device a friend used to edit in Photoshop & for video as well, the [url=http://ergo.contourdesign.com/US/product/shuttlepro-v2/]Contour Shuttle Pro v2[/url]
This allows an endless number of commands to an also almost endless number of softwares including Logic Pro, Abledon Live, Cubase, etc.. among many others.
It occurred to me i could remove it's board from the casing & bypassing it's own micro switches by wiring them to foot switches it could be done !!

Bought one on EvilBay, opened the case, soldered a foot switch to one of it's micro switches, tried it &… BINGO, it works !
Time to go full steam ahead so i bought some 2mm thick alu sheet to make the pedalboard casing itself, 7 non latching foot switches, a Neutrik reversible USB panel socket, some reflective tape & after getting it powder coated in a sexy matt grey smooth finish, assembled it all.

Contour supply a piece of dead easy software which allows to ''map'' each switch for each intended command & all in all in a couple of days it worked PERFECTLY & for the tremendous expense of 80 or 90€ - instead of 400 for the Apogee…….

For those who might have the same struggle i had & want to make one, here are some [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/13706825@N03/albums/72157662909102776]photos of it[/url], along with descriptions

As i said, this build IS idiot proof, you only need to know how to solder & either make or buy a suitable enclosure then just take your time & be methodic
In case you need feel free to hit me up, i'll try to assist best i can

it's not totally perfect & can use further deveolpment BUT.. it DOES cover my needed basic funtions !
Enjoy hands free recording !!!
Edited by nuno1959 on October 22 2016 16:21
plenty of time to rest when i'm dead...
posted on #2
Very cool build Nuno
posted on #3
User Avatar Member
Cool idea, but i would have went for a arduino leonardo or similar uc that can interface as a hid device
Pure fingerstyle
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
Thanks for sharing Nuno
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
Great idea Nuno. Thanks for sharing.
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
nilton wrote:
Cool idea, but i would have went for a arduino leonardo or similar uc that can interface as a hid device

Please don't forget i know NOTHING about electronics Nilton, i'm just stubborn & sneaky !!…LOL…
Thanks guys, glad you liked it !
As i wrote it's still not perfect but Version 2.0 will be better… ;)
Edited by nuno1959 on October 22 2016 20:02
posted on #7
awsome ! Ôô
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
OliVBee wrote:
awsome ! Ôô

Eh, eh, eh… thanks Master OliV.. ;)
posted on #9
Very cool Nuno!!
posted on #10
User Avatar Supporter
Thanks TG, when money doesn't fall from the sky & you know nothing about electronics, you just GOT to think outside the box to get stuff done.. ;)
posted on #11
I'm just waiting for Siri to become actually useful so that we can use voice commands to control applications like Garageband, that would be a big improvement.
posted on #12
User Avatar Supporter
jmrukkers wrote:
I'm just waiting for Siri to become actually useful so that we can use voice commands to control applications like Garageband, that would be a big improvement.

I hear you Jo, that would be AWESOME but.. as little as i understand how it works, i wouldn't hold my expectations on that one too high : wouldn't Siri be thrown off by all the sounds produced while playing mixed with the voice commands ?
That would require a MASSIVE development for it to be able to distinguish AND separate while actually playing & simultaneously recording !? Unless the audio would be routed via headphones perhaps ?
posted on #13
I'd route the voice through a different channel, would not work for singers I guess but everything going directly should be fine. But you're right, that will probably be some time coming.
Edited by jmrukkers on October 23 2016 21:56
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Mmarc from France

"Long life to wikiloops"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.