Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Linux Home recording anybody ?

Linux Home recording anybody ?

posted on #1
Supporter
Hi,
does anybody of you record your tracks in Linux ?
I have sympathies for Linux (ubuntu) but it seems to be quite troublesome to use it for homerecording. Complicated and unstable.
Ardour seems good but does not import mp3 - which is bad for wikiloops!! Audacity is weak in effects.

Do you have good experience here?

Lutz
posted on #2
Supporter
I would be very interested in this, too!! I dont have any experience in linux so far, but have been thinking about a try often...
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #3
Supporter
Hi lutz,
i have wrote an articel under the german forum here in wikiloops
Just have a look to [ broken link removed ]
Edited by Dick on 10-11-2015 11:44
posted on #4
Supporter
Thanks Scriptura,
your link to the linux discussion is interesting here: [url]http://www.bassic.ch/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14809319[/url] - in German.
But always the same answers. Windows seems still much easier for audio.

Here's my personal experience:
I have ubuntu 11.10 with the programms of ubuntu studio. (You can have ubuntu studio as full OS, or just as a series of audio programms, a long list of stuff, in fact too much.)
I tried a number of audio recording software, many of them much too simple for our purposes (good music, semi pro). Audacity works, but is weak in effects. I like to hear the effects while I record, which it does not. But it is an alternative.

Then I tried Ardour with Jack, which is really great, a bit like Cubase, quite complex, complicated, over dimensioned for me, but it works well. Only it does not import mp3 files which is necessary for the work with wikiloops (mp3). To transform mp3 into WAV and then back is no good probably, 'cause of loss of data, I presume.
Jack is a sound server which controls all inputs and outputs and you can let interact all of your Audio software and can give really low latency. But I needed a lot of time to find out how it works.
To make your setup with JACK and all programms one after another in a certain order is quite a work to do before I can start to record. In Windows I open my DAW (Acoustica Mixcraft) and on it goes.

Btw: Linux can crash as beautifully as Windows! During my tests with audio stuff I was hung up often. What I am still looking for is a medium DAW, a bit better than audacity which can work with mp3 tracks directly - and I did not find anywhere.

Generally Linux ubuntu (and others) is fine, I like the philosophy of open source very much. But still it is complicated. You always meet some unexpected trouble, and I spend much time on the forums to find solutions - which are there, but it can take days to find them...

Also my interface Focusrite saphire USB, which I like very much, does not work under Linux. M-Audio does, I've heard.
The Linux people should not spend their time with so much fancy stuff, new desktops and navigatio every 6 month, but work more on stability. Though it is not all their fault, but it's the great enterprises who do not adapt to Linux, only with MS.

I am still interested in your experiences if you have a DAW on Linux that really works for you. Tell me please B)
Lutz
posted on #5
Supporter
Hi Lutz,
i have an allen heath mixer with usb interfaces that works with linux very fine. For wikiloops i take audacity, the effects, that i need comes from the allen heath mixer. Just shown on my profil, if you want more information for my recording setup.
You can with audacity the mp3 converts to wav. Why do you think you lost on quality? I think thats not right. You only lost quality if you convert an wav to mp3.
You dont needed install ubuntu studio to your ubuntu OS. Ubuntu Studio is just another dektop, that had the programs for music and grafic included.
In April, Ubuntu 12LTS would be released, perhaps your interface works on this version.
posted on #6
Supporter
hmmm. This doesn't sound really convenient to me... I'm quite good in handling cubase by now (took ten years to get to know all audio related functions available, no joke), so I wont go below something like that.
I was kind of distracted by the many things one has to keep in mind to find the right linux for ones machine, after reading your posts I guess I will wait some longer until I do my first steps towards linux...
If you come up with a reliable checklist on what to use and best practise, I'd still be interested in that :)

+1 for Scripturas conversion comment: taking mp3 back into wav is lossless in my experience. Another way of avoiding this issue: Record the streamed audio from your webbrowser on a stereo track in your DAW - this way, a new .wav is created, thats the way I go most of the time, saves me downloading the mp3 files and managing theese on my harddrive, no import hassles... and the sound is pretty much the same as if I decoded the mp3 to wav.
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #7
Supporter
You know - don't touch a running system!

In Germany, a little Manufactor sells PC with Linux who works.
[url]http://rockiger.com/[/url]
posted on #8
Administrator
Hi Lutz,

Reaper is way better than Audacity, works fine with mp3 files, can export to mp3 with a 3rd party encoder (lame) and does effects very well, both realtime and post. Latency with the on-board soundcard in my laptop is less than 3ms with ASIO drivers. There's stacks of tutorials and good documentation available online. There is no native linux port of Reaper but apparently it runs well in Wine. Got to be worth looking at?

I have an evaluation copy (free download from http://www.reaper.fm) which has expired now but it still works fine...

Edit - Just found a beta version for linux - http://www.landoleet.org/dev
Edited by ChrisB on 17-02-2012 20:19
posted on #9
Supporter
Thanks, friends.
With Dick's trick to stream the track directly into the DAW, the choice in Linux could be Ardour, which might be quite like Cubase, professionel standard. That's a hint.
Choosing the right Linux is rather simple. If you want it to run easily as possible and are no programmer, choose ubuntu.
The good thing is: I still have Win7 with my DAW Acoustica Mixcraft, that works very well. Only for my next machine I will have to decide.
@Chris: I heard good things of Reaper, but not in Linux. Wine is terrible...

Yes, never touch a running system - but from time to time it's fun to challenge my capacities a little bit . . .
posted on #10
Supporter
i have been using linux for many years ... and it's been my plateform of choice for audio projects since over 5 years ... Ardour is a great piece of software that is really worth a try ! it's very much in the protools vein and paul davis being the head developer for ardour AND jack makes it very nicely integrated ...
i have been using different distro but mostly mandriva that i customized for audio purpose and switched to ubuntu studio which is nice in the latest version ... it is rock solid and i rarely have to reboot it allthough i do that once in a while
if you want to sample what comes out of my setup try this link : [url]http://www.noomiz.com/mofonline[/url] ;)
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #11
I use since mid January - Dream Studio is an Ubuntu-based distribution

[url]http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=dreamstudio[/url]

[url]http://www.dickmacinnis.com/dreamstudio/[/url]

and works very good.

before I used Ubuntu, Mandriva and Bodhi Linux

:)
posted on #12
ArchLinux Pro Audio, for many years, with Ardour and LADSPA plugins. As "interface" - Creative Sb Live! 24bit/48KHz, sufficient for home recordings [for me]. For comparison Behringer UCA has similar characteristics, and is much more expensive, at least in Poland, so...
Anyway, Athlon 2500+, 1.5GB ram, ArchLinux Pro Audio, SbLive!, Ardour and no latency :)
There is also Traverso Daw, but didn't check it.
posted on #13
bubx: can I use ArchLinux without any UI ? I have this little project I am working on, I'm looking for a good Linux distrib for running audio software, but I don't need X11 or any windows manager.
posted on #14
There is definitely a learning curve in Linux/Ubuntu, but I am a very happy campaer. I'm now using Ubuntu Studio 13.04, with th latest real time kernel 3.8.0-25 low latency (x86_64 bit).
This particular version of Ubuntu comes already loaded with gobs of Photography, Video editing, and Music playing and editing software. I downloaded even more stuff so I'm learning to use midi programs too. This stuff is professional grade....FREE!!!
With Audacity, VLC PLayer, and Audacious, (Audacity my favorite) I can play and save virtually any type of file; convert to wav and stick it in Ardour. Ardour3, the latest is awesome.
My interface, an Audiobox USB, made by Presonus, has mic, guitar, and midi inputs and outputs. I monitor, in live mode, my playback and recording. Headphones or studio monitors work on this device, which cost me $140. Recording directly to my sound card turned out to be a waste of time, but I learned!!
Oh yeah, using an addon to my Firefox Browser (my fav) called "Download Helper", I can download any video off the internet (I use YOUTUBE), and use only the audio part, which I can cut and paste in Audacity and Ardour. An excellent drum Machine program is Hydrogen. It does a whole lot more than merely drums.
Cheers and good luck, Leo! :D
posted on #15
I'm also using linux to record some of my tracks, and I'm quite happy with it. I find it easier than using asio drivers on windows :D

For instance jam 12017 was recorder using:
Jack, Ardour3 as my DAW, audacity for wave editing and some plugins, especially love CALF - new versions are amazing, both sound and visual. Delay was used for softer guitar, reverb for both, and it really gave some organic feel to active pickups on one of my guitars.

I'm currently using Ubuntu Studio 13.04 with kxstudio repos and feel pretty good with it. The env is very stable and allows me to use the same system for daily use.
Edited by szarak on 12-10-2013 02:48
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
rmhacc from Hungary

"Because there is very nice music made and to use for someone like me who wants to learn to play harmonica, and perhaps later with another can give to them to play and its own color here, and that a Belgian who inhabited in Hungary! like é."

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.