Wikiloops album

posted on #1
If we all chip in to have some songs copyrighted and whatever other expenses it would take to produce a Wikiloops CD manufactured, that would be pretty awesome. We would have numerous volumes come out every year and perhaps a double album. We keep it fair as to how many appearances one can make on cd so everyone gets a chance to be in the spot light. Is this something that can be achieved?
posted on #2
Supporter
hey peter,
i guess all of us have been thinking about that one time or the other :)
If you read the terms of use carefully, the needed legal clearance may be done thru wikiloops, while every musician taking part gets their share of possible earnings.
I think there wold be two approaches we might consider: either, wikiloops will issue a years-best CD, then I need some help on getting the tracklist done, and it would be good if there were around 100 copies sold - anything below that wont jstify the effort of remastering the tracks for CD, doing the paperwork and giving users royalties - the organisatory efforts need to be refinanced somehow, and to be honest I'm not sure the demand is there yet. Getting a small set of lets say one hundred CDs made is quite expensive compared to bigger numbers, which needs the same amount of work, so 'I guess I'll wait some longer before thinking in that direction.
Another approach would be this: Let the users put together their own tracklist and offer a label/inlay printing template for some bucks, so you can burn and print your own unique wiki CD with a well-done cover-art and a notice you have bought the right to burn this... That would take away any discussion on what should be on that CD, and you would still have some proper proof your CD is an origianal copy...

All of this needs weeks of coding to create the right interfaces, and of course users need an interface to keep an eye on the royalties they get, so I'm not going to have that done in a few days.

Keep me up to date with any thoughts on this issue
& be good

"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #3
Supporter
Hi Dick,
like your idea for a User-Tracklist. :)
posted on #4
Wow there are so many possibilities. We could have a top ten album for every genre or a "greatest hits" series. That would be really cool. Dick, I think we could sell at least 100. You gotta dream big, brother!
“Somebody needs what you have to give. It may not be your money; it may be your time. It may be your listening ear....."
posted on #5
Supporter
hehe, thx for the optimism :)
I have been researching some info on how it can be done, there are some possibilities I came across that might work for us...
I'll have to do some calculation before announcing/offering a go on this project, theres quite some investments of time and cash to be made.

I'd like the idea of ordering your custom wikiloops CD with a selection of tracks YOU put together, but this seems to be pretty hard to get done. Opening a shop with predefined Album-Collections would be easier to do, but its going to be difficult setting up the right collections to please you... I really have to do some math before I can tell you what 'I came up with.
I would like to know: how much $ would you pay to get a CD by mailorder (incl. shipping) ?
I have been thinking about doing the shipping and handling myself, but am not too fond of extra work - and shipping single CDs around the globe by mail is a costly thing that may take weeks, so I'm rather looking for an external supplyer to do that job - really happy with the shirt-shops, as far as thats concerned.
I'll keep the idea in the back of my head, most of the time, a solution is clearing up within some days... share any thoughts you got, pls.

n be good :)
Dick

posted on #6
Id like my procceeds to go to Wikiloops to help in keeping it growing. I believe I can come close to selling 100 copies just me alone, so imagine what the others might do. When people hear the great songs of different generes and having songs with musicians from all over the world could have mass appeal.
posted on #7
Supporter
Wow, I must say I think you are a real optimist :) I have produced several indie releases in my recording life, and in my experience its much harder to sell a CD than one might expect (all depending on the content and the market you are trying to approach). To sell a hundred CDs is a major project... but thats not a no on the idea, not at all.
right now, I'm awfully busy doing some code changes (see developers blog for current tasklist), so this will have to wait a little longer until I get around to it. Still wondering what a good & fair price would be, please gimme some opinion on that, and of course feel free to present your idea of hich tracks should go onto the album. I think it would be really cool to discuss that with as many members as possible, so this way one can be sure not to have missed a really great track.
thx for pushing wiki to the next level :)

posted on #8
Supporter
I am much less optimistic here.
It is years since I purchased my last CD. What I hear is my own guitar plus youtube plus wikiloops. So who would buy stuff which is free online in the same quality? The active musicians and perhaps their girl friend...
And really do not underestimate the work - shipping, comptability etc
posted on #9
Supporter
I'd say nowadays its a question of style to buy a CD... actually, I have produced more than I bought in the last ten years (ouch, thats true :)).

You are absolutely right about the effort - of course, I would try to remaster the files a little, but that wont do too much on the overall quality.
As for shipping and handling, I think I'll find some external service on that (thats a whole lot of work... ten month no orders, THEN you have to have everything at hand...).

lets think this thru for the fun of it:
If you take the time for doing a cover artwork with all jobs attached (+6h), communication with the members involved (12h PM job), setting up a deal with someone doing the shipping (3h), rights clearance and finding ways of paying the members their granted share on earnings (40+ hours to code a system), holding record of all of that for the international taxes involved (2h), oh yes, and I wanted to remaster the tracks, too...(4h) plus the process of finding the right tracks (weeeeeks)...
if the CD sells for lettsay 12$ plus shipping(!?), $4 would go into material production, leaving $8 to wikiloops, half of wich goes to the members, so $4 to wiki.
If I'd do all of the above for letssay $6 the hour (lol) times 67hours estimated above (=$402), wikiloops would need to sell exactly one hundred copies to break even. Now thats a surprising result, for I just calculated along while posting this, and coming out at 100 was not planned :D I forgot to include some registration costs involved, but lets not go there.
Bottom line: chances of getting rich with this are really bad from the capitalist point of view.
On the other hand - wikiloops is a fools project, and theese hours would be little compared to the overall investment of time made. It would be a really nice thing to do on wikis 1st Birthday, and last but not least some tracks might be featured wich the quick visitor may not stumble across (I wouldnt put the 816 on the album, sorry :))...

be talkin'...

posted on #10
Supporter
What about this idea?
- You make an own platform for the people who will sell a CD
- This Members have to pay now
- The Members who payed have to decide, what tracks comes on the CD
- This action goes untill 10.10.2012, then you will see the resonance
- Then you have time untill 12.12.2012 to mastered the tracks, artwork, press the CDs.
posted on #11
Supporter
Sort of along with what Scriptura is saying .... What if instead of a CD, just have a virtual "CD" available for download from this site with any amount of a paypal donation to wikiloops? All the kids have MP3 players now. The track listing could be a year to year "best of". If every Jam had a "Nominate For Best Of Wikiloops Collection" icon, then a potential track listing could be created by user votes. I would pay to get all the best final tracks without having to search for them. We could even shine them up a bit if they make the list with some extra production etc. Although on the other hand, a CD would be nice for me to sell when I play music at the Farmers Markets. I don't think I could sell 100 in a year. Maybe 50. Easy for me to suggest, maybe not so easy to re-code the website. I can't stress more, not to take away from the "Backing Track" premise of the website. This is the best way to get new musicians. Anyway, the site is awesome, and even if nothing changes will still be great. Thanks to Dick, and all you guys that have made yourselves involved with the site. - Dave
Edited by Slimdaver on 25-02-2012 05:06
posted on #12
Can I get a Wikiloops album on Vinyl? B) You all have good ideas. I just think we shouldn't keep all this great music to ourselves. There's gotta be a target audience that would enjoy what we're doing. I know there's similar sites out there like wikiloops however they aren't free, the technology of jamming in real time isn't very up to par yet, we connect with people nation wide, we have great tech support, and much much more. I think what Dick started is pretty radical and could become something huge eventually. That's why I want to come up with ideas to promote this site and help finance this project. I don't want to see it die out or become a ghost town. Ok my speech is over
posted on #13
Hmm why bother with CD's?

Maybe something like Itunes will involve less costs and it will reach more people?
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
mpointon from England

"Wikiloops is my practice, my inspiration and, most importantly, lends a friendly ear for all abilities to improve through collaboration. Thank you!"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.