Home »Forum»Feedback and Suggestions»Releasing Yearly CD To Help Fund Wikiloops

Releasing Yearly CD To Help Fund Wikiloops

posted on #1
I know the vision of the creators of wikiloops is for a none commercial platform and thats how it should be, but there are are some great tracks on this site and to help fund wikiloops ongoing costs and future development of the site maybe they could look at a yearly CD release of the best of wikiloops. and post it on I tunes etc.
It helps wikiloops and gives the musicians on the CD exposure.
Be interesting to here the feedback on this.B)
posted on #2
Supporter
I wonder: Have you ever released any CDs?

If that CD is meant to be a source of funds, it would be necessary that the immediate financial return would be larger than the amount of work and cost needed to create and promote the CD.

You can do a sample calcuation on how much "funding" could be gained,
please keep in mind wikiloops will have to pay 19% tax,
split any revenue with the musical contributers (50/50 split)
and pay a good share to iTunes or whichever service is being used.
The chances of having gained any funds after clearing all the paperwork is only existant if you assume we'd be able to sell thousandssssss of digital CDs,
or if you have in mind to offer the CDs at a price beyond the 30$-mark.

We do have quite a lot of really good (free) albums on wikiloops,
and looking at the average users interest to download these albums (600+ album downloads in 2016),
one can make a pretty good guess about how many people would be in the potential target audience for buying your funding CD.
To believe a CD will get bought just because it's on iTunes and potentially reaching a larger audience is a nice thought, but sadly does not happen by itself.

Last, ask yourself - would you buy or help promote a wikiloops CD that doesn't have one of your tracks on it?

Don't get me wrong, an annual album may be a "nice to have" for some (especially for the small group who will be featured on it), but to think of such a project as the solution to any funding problems... that just will not work.
It might once people discover we are doing this phantastic series of handmade music, but to get to that point is a long and work intensive (=costly) road to walk and would potentially create a lot more disappointed "I have not been picked for the album" feelings than it would ever return revenue to fund the loops on.
Edited by Dick on 10-01-2017 08:29
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #3
I'm a bit confused here Dick ,I don't know where your getting your prices from Dick the cost to place a CD for example on CD BABY is $89US for a an album for that you get. Worldwide digital distribution
Worldwide CD distribution
Sell music on www.cdbaby.com
Make money on YouTube
Sync licensing for TV, film, and games
ASCAP / BMI registration
Song registration with global collection agencies
Global publishing royalty collection

Digital distribution

Wikiloops keeps 91% of net income

CD BABY keep just 9% of the net income paid to us by our partners and you keep the rest.

CD & Vinyl

Your price minus $4

We keep $4 per unit sold to cover storage, packing, and inventory management. You set the price and keep the rest. (If you want to sell CDs at $13, we pay you $9.)

CD Baby store downloads

91% of purchase price

We keep only 9% and pay you a whopping 91%* per download sold on our www.cdbaby.com store – more than iTunes, Amazon or any other retailer. So if you set your single song download price at 99¢ you’ll get paid 90¢ per song!

*For CD Baby Free artists, we keep 15%.

Why use submission credits?

You’re planning on releasing more than one album or single over the next few years.
You have multiple unreleased albums in your back catalog
You plan to release a series of singles
You are a record label, studio owner, or producer with multiple albums to release
You like saving money
Submission Credits for Albums*

QTY EACH PRICE DISCOUNT
3 albums $42.63 $127.89 13%
5 albums $41.65 $208.00 15%

10 albums $39.20 $392 20%
20 albums $36.75 $735 25%
50 albums $34.30 $1,715 30%
100 albums $31.85 $3,185 35%
*Submission credits are non-refundable and are only valid for Standard submissions.
How it works:

Choose to purchase a barcode for your release ($20 for albums. Only $5 for singles)
We’ll assign a unique UPC barcode that is good until the end of time.
Your UPC barcode number allows us to track and distribute your music to stores worldwide.
Your sales are reported to Nielsen SoundScan weekly.
The UPC barcode is YOURS. You can use it anywhere you’re selling your album or single.
posted on #4
Royality Payments to the songwriters
Is also a lot less than your quoting I have the list from ASCAP if you want it but my idea was the artist donates the track to the CD but keeps the copyright but thats another issue that needs to be sorted out.
I also don't understand why your talking about cost to produce the album when theres plenty of artist on wikiloops who have the skills to do it in house. And why are you talking about promotion cost CD baby does that and if the album tracks are hitting the right vibe to the public you target it will climb the charts.The target audience:W is something that has be also discussed.
posted on #5
Supporter
Well, if you find the best answers to the question of wether a CD release would be the solution to fund wikiloops answered by CDBabys advertisement, then I obviously must have misunderstood something :)

posted on #6
Ps CDs haven't: been $30.00 for years;)
Edited by murphyb on 10-01-2017 14:05
posted on #7
Visit there site Dick and have good look at it
posted on #8
WHATS $13 X 100,000 OR 200.000 THERES 8 BILLION PEOPLE ON THE ROCK FLOATING IN SPACE IN AUSTRALIA YOU SELL 100.000 UNITS THEY GIVE YOU A GOLD RECORD I THINK ITS 200.000 IN THE US. THERES ONLY ONE problem THE CD has to launched from one of the countries on there list but wikiloops is a multinational;) site
Edited by murphyb on 10-01-2017 14:16
posted on #9
Well, if you find the best answers to the question of wether a CD release would be the solution to fund wikiloops answered by CDBabys advertisement, then I obviously must have misunderstood something smile
Im just trying to help and offer ideas Dick.
And to treat me like I;m an idiot on a public forum when you are the one who has done no research at all and just write a load of shit of the top of your head and think you know it all . well pal you and your little elite group who post backing tracks put one instrument on it then you kiss each others arse on how good it is when they didn;t even write it can stick your site where the sun don't shine. OH AND HERE IS SOME CAPS FOR THAT FRENCH TURD:(
posted on #10
Supporter
As I explained in the annual report, "keeping the trolls out" is one of the jobs which fall into "maintenance" on my to do list.

Well, should anyone feel the need to get back to releasing any CDs and be willing to deal with any aspects to that which may not be revealed thru CDBaby at first sight (yes, there are some),
then you know I'm open towards concepts that are thought about, ideally compliant to the wikiloops terms of use which are binding for anything I can do here (ASCAP is totally irrelevant on WL), and I'd even take time to explain the details of my reasoning if that's what you'd be interested in.

posted on #11
Supporter
Lol that went well. From zero to b**** quicker than a Zappa shred :D .
posted on #12
Supporter
I like that we are elitist! :W
rp3 (Raymond)
posted on #13
Supporter
Am I the only one who noticed that murphyb isn't even a supporter? Kind of out there.

The only part of murphyb's rant that may be workable is for wikiloops to allow an outside entity to have access to sell/promote tracks and return a fee to wikiloops and the musicians. That doesn't put any time or pressure on Dick or anyone here to do anything. Unfortunately it would require some business dealings and possibly a change to the current arrangements.

At this stage I'd love to see a "pay-up or shut-up" stand taken for members like murphyb.
posted on #14
Supporter
oooh i'm a french turd :) well that's good to know !! unfortunately (or is that fortunately instead ?) i can't take that seriously :Y
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #15
Supporter
Cool I've learned a new word !
Edited by Tofzegrit on 10-01-2017 22:47
posted on #16
Supporter
I wanna be one as well😉 zut allores!
posted on #17
Supporter
its right easy kimbo : just asking people to stop using caps only whenever they do will make you one ... but you'll become a french one if and only if you do it *politely* ;)

anyway i'm glad Dick took care of this ban !! thank you buddy :)
Edited by OliVBee on 11-01-2017 06:55
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #18
All you need is love
posted on #19
Supporter
...amen to that tu!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Neddings from Netherlands

"I support wikiloops because making music costs money, listening to good music is priceless"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.