Timestretch

posted on #1
...I often use different traks from the same tree to Mix and then add my own instrument. With that said, when I timestretch (Cubase 8AI) to make them fit together, (occasionally the traks are of slightly different tempos). When I either shorten or lengthen, even in small increments, I get a wobbly sound...is there a way to alleviate this?...and is quantizing part of this equation? The tracks in question are instrument and vocal, not percussion BTW.
THX for reading...
...thanks for listening, and Happy Jammin!
posted on #2
k...has nothin to do with Quantizing...but perhaps Algo-rhythms, lookin into that now...
posted on #3
Supporter
I use qbase 8 too, never had a problem, But why do you need to timestretch at all??
posted on #4
...what I am doin is makin a 100 BPM vocal trak fit into a 120 bpm trak...when I change the tempo, somethin goes funny and sounds marbled or warbly...I discovered that there is an Algo rythm adjustment in the timestretch window...

Audio/Process/timestretch/algorythms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR0cjklwP-4

experimenting with that now...
Edited by MusicWorx on 24-01-2017 20:09
posted on #5
I think I got it...using these settings, assuming the picture shows...but using the Standard Custom setting and increasing the varience to 100%...hope this may help others that have similar issue

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yt8uin7545sgnx/algorythm.png?dl=0

[img]http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=357963810_algorythm_122_222lo.jpg[/img]
Edited by MusicWorx on 25-01-2017 15:34
posted on #6
Supporter
Well, you did not say that you are using vocals from a different source. Of course you can make a vocal track fit, but that should not affect the rest of the track tempo wise.
posted on #7
...the issue was not that it changed the tempo of the entire track, just the sound of the selected audio trak I was timestretching...I asked the same question at Steinberg and got these replies...

The time stretch algorithm is set separately from the default or audio editor algorithm though.

You have to go to File=>Preferences=>Editing=>Audio. Second from bottom is the Time Stretch Tool Algorithm.

Also, low frequencies and instruments with a wide frequency spectrum, tend to give problems more frequently with time stretch.

Alternatively call up the Audio Pool window Ctrl+p and change the algo from there, dead easy to scroll through them all to see which one best suits your needs.

When the audio prefs for time stretch tool is set to real time, it uses the pool/editor algorithms. In the audio prefs you have the added option of using the Mpex algorithms. Those process offline though so the changes are made directly to the audio file. If you continually stretch using those, it will degrade the file severely.
Edited by MusicWorx on 25-01-2017 14:43
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
incivanpico from Germany

""This is WikiLoOps!...it is what it is Guy's!"...The Best! "

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.