Covers

posted on #1
Supporter
One of the rules of Wikiloops is that there are no "Covers" allowed, due to copyright issues. Hey, who needs them anyway, given the incredible original music that you find on here? While that may be true, I'm sure that many Loopers have done some fantastic covers and have them on display at other sites (eg. YouTube, your own website, etc.). I, for one, would love to listen to what my favorite Wikiloops musicians have done with other artist's music.

With that in mind, I thought I would start a thread where Loopers could provide "links" to other sites where they may have uploaded music (or other artistic pieces) that can't be uploaded to Wikiloops under the rules. Since it's my idea, I'll start. One of my favorite musicians is the late, great Etta James. One of her most heart-wrenching hits was "I'd Rather Go Blind". I've done a cover of this song in the style of Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa, which is posted on my website. The best part of this cover is the fact that Frenzie agreed to join me in the song by adding his incredible guitar (a 3 minute solo nonetheless). While my vocals are no where near perfect, I'm very proud of this song and find it expresses the "ache" of lost love like no other. For those of you that may care to listen, you can find it on my "Blues" page at www.andreaclawrence.com/the-blues-are/. What about you all? Let's hear from you:)

Andrea
posted on #2
Supporter
Be sure that I will have a listening when I have a minute.
:o
posted on #3
Supporter
A lovely idea for there to be a place for people to refer to their "other" tracks. As it is this can also be done in each person's profile. I do understand the desire of some to play standards or covers, especially if you're a singer and not necessarily a lyric writer. You are on solid ground!

For me (and a lot of other instrumental players?) Wikiloops is the refuge from covers and standards that a brain-whipped public demands. It's not a restriction to ban these, it's a declaration of freedom.
posted on #4
Like the idea to see the great musicians here doing cover tunes. I myself have not posted any of my cover tunes any where else on the internet. Sounds like a fun thing to do and post where to hear them hear. Just a few covers I play bass on are Gloria by Them Green Onions by Booker T and the Mgs Black Sabbath - Paranoid, 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite, Tobacco Road - Nashville Teens, and ZZ Top - Lagrange just to name a few.
posted on #5
Supporter
I personally have not posted covers anywhere else either, Guadana, Wiseshanks and I have thought about getting the mechanical license for a few that we have recorded together. If we ever actually do get the licenses I will be happy to post to this thread. Nice work on the James Cover Andrea!
posted on #6
Supporter
My bands were always covers but in the studio I played for original artists. Despite being two totally different venues I liked originals better - less to live up (or down) to. Jazz is comprised almost solely of doing covers. You can't play jazz without interpreting standards. And it is challenging to come up with something different for "Lullaby of Birdland" for example - correct, Mr-Wade-who-sang-with-George-Shearing? lol Only that wasn't a standard at the time I imagine.

Beautiful cover, Andrea! <3
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -George Carlin
posted on #7
Supporter
Hey Danny. Was a Christmas benefit concert so just Christmas stuff. Nothing very exciting.

Going to disagree with you and two generations of people who have grown up thinking jazz = playing standards. That's a pretty limited view of jazz that has been sold via the education system. There was a lot of jazz happening in the 1960s and 1970 that was not based on standards. Some of those now are considered standards, but that's a whole different story. It's a very unfortunate situation in which there are educators who have reduced jazz to a museum piece in which it became stale and formulated. That's not what it was about. The period where standards (usually popular show tunes from the 1930s through 1950s) were played was a brief and interesting sideshow in which fine musicians played tunes that "everybody knew" and did their "oh so clever" interpretations. The key was that everybody knew the tunes, so there was a recognition. How many ordinary folk under 70 could hum 1% of the tunes in today's "real book"? There are several reasons why unfortunately students today are taught that just mainstream (playing standards) is jazz. As said there has been an effort in academia to analyze and teach jazz as something that can be learned. Well yes and no. Learning theory (what arpeggios go with specific chord notations and changes) is not necessarily = to initially creating these in their abstract form in which they were initially played. Those musicians were moving forward from big bands and Bebop. They weren't hung up with trying to play like people from 50 years ago. It was of its time and revolutionary...then. The other major influence which enabled the educators was the US congress. You can read the congressional resolution here:
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/100/hconres57/text
and a more recent resolution here:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/4280
These, along with other initiatives have given money to schools and universities for training jazz musicians. That funding would only be for training them in ALL AMERICAN jazz tradition which excludes all earlier, later or foreign influences. So fusion, Django, ECM styles, etc. are forbidden. Jazz became a very narrow focus based on one short period of time, one particular style, from one country. The result? Tens of thousands of music degrees in jazz and almost none of them able to work as full time jazz musician. They are mostly teachers sucking on the same federal $$ tit and producing more failures. All of the arts are about moving with your times. The alternative is to be a museum piece.

There's tons of jazz that's not standards/covers. There's plenty going on here with jams in many cases being totally improvised. Check your prejudices as jazz is not limited to just a narrow interpretation. It can all move on and forward as long as people aren't stuck in the past. Funny thing is that Kind of blue is often quoted as THE jazz album. Were they playing standards?
Edited by Wade on 30-03-2017 21:51
posted on #8
Supporter
Another great thread Andrea!! I will check out your cover - the Beth Hart Joe Bonamassa version is indeed stunning.

Like you, I like to do occasional covers. Since about 2009 I had been fiddling with Audacity and recording my singing to karaoke mp3 tunes on a laptop. And never being really pleased with any of the results. I then switched to Garageband (yep - Macfreak!) and got a bit more literate in audio mixing and looking to improve the quality of the recordings. Much better results.

I also started to record some covers from my younger days - songs that somehow had impacted and which I felt I could sing and maybe occasionally do something different with. I started out doing acoustic harmony covers of songs that in retrospect I really should not have touched - Stairway to Heaven and Boston's More Than A Feeling. But I stand by them as my voice at the time. Which was the reason why I was recording them - I wanted some record for my own entertainment in old age (if I get there!) of me singing the songs that I loved while I still had a voice to be able to do so.

I then started doing straight rock vocal takes on some back in my day rockers and gradually added others as the inspiration and mood struck. All of the karaoke backing was somewhere available on Youtube, and I would download the vid, strip out the music, load it into Garageband and record over the top.

Somewhere along the line I started creating movies to match the songs. These are image collections strung together to seek to give a visual boost and underline the lyrics. This had started with shows I had recently directed for Musical theatre; I would stitch a set of images together from personal photos and Google Image searches to reinforce the stories of the songs. I have also done the same to some of the wikiloop jams on which I have sung and uploaded. Big fun.

There's no profit in any of the above, so in copyright terms I think I'm on the right side of things. Youtube occasionally advises that the copyright of the music is owned by another, but nothing more at this time. If it changes, will assess and revise as necessary. I'm just a fan sharing his love of the song and hoping others enjoy my take on it and keeping things non commercial. So far so good.

The link is www.youtube.com/user/gwailoah and the page is Brian Mack Blues and Rock Songs.

Happy jamming and loop on, folks!

Brian
posted on #9
Supporter
Wade wrote:Check your prejudices as jazz is not limited to just a narrow interpretation. It can all move on and forward as long as people aren't stuck in the past. Funny thing is that Kind of blue is often quoted as THE jazz album. Were they playing standards?
I agree I was overgeneralizing. Sorry about that - I know jazz is much more than just standards. Sorry again.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -George Carlin
posted on #10
Supporter
Cheers Danny. I won't pet those sweaty things.
posted on #11
Supporter
I've learned guitar with some covers but currently I feel a bit "idiot" when someone asks me "Can you play this song from..." No I can't or give me a minute to review the song :)

Funny to share my story on this:
When It was hard to compose, I begun to search some backing tracks for playing some songs I like and few weeks later, I discovered wikiloops.

I've played "smoke on the water", "Europa" and "Highway to hell" live for the first time 3 years ago it was for a wedding and with a backing track.
I think I've not played more than 10/15 titles with my previous bands from Steps Ahead to "Mustang Sally".
The last one was "Love is a losing game" from Amy W. with a colleague at work

Each time, I can't resist to an adaptation vs original but I really dig impro/compo instead of.
Maybe If I were a singer, I would have done it more often

Maybe I'm waiting for retirement to begin seriously with this stuff :)
posted on #12
Supporter
Interesting Tof.
posted on #13
Supporter
I've forget a fun event:
My sister paid a band for her after wedding party "Floyd Factory" who do covers from... :)
It was at my parent's home (garden party), As I was the man of cables I drived the guys and saw there were not their bass player.
Me: "Your bass player is not there"
The guy: "No I will play the bass (he sings too) but your sister has told me you are a musician, do you know Pink Floyd titles?"
Me: "Oh yes but never played this stuff except "another brick in the Wall, I don't want to ruin your Floyd Tribute!!"

Then, the time of this song came, he called me on the mic... and after the song, the guy "You surely know I shot the Sheriff on bass for a jam" OK one more!
Then a guest in the audience have the whole song book of Pink Floyd in his car, the band leader gave me the book and told me "Ok now, you stay and play with us, you're good, let's go" and for the first time of my life I was following a score. SO I can say I've played "Hey You", "Wish You Were here" and mess up a bit "Money"...
Edited by Tofzegrit on 31-03-2017 22:37
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
jstef from Italy

"They are BANNING music out there. We can spread it! "

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.