Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Recording from the amp from the cabinet socket

Recording from the amp from the cabinet socket

posted on #1
Supporter
Hi guys, I got a tube amp and I intent to record using a microphone, but sometimes this is not possible (night time) and I would like to record without causing Mrs. Gee to get upset.

SO what do I need to do to convert the 50 w signal to something that won't blow up my computer?

Edited by TeeGee on 02-04-2017 22:56
posted on #2
Supporter
a power attenuator box also called a power soak will reduce the volume of a tube amp while letting you get the tone of higher volumes but I do not know of one that will replace the speaker completely, they reduce by 20db I believe.
posted on #3
I use a device called "Crunch master". Its a recording amp. Not really satisfying but you can adjust gain for the pre-amp and master.
Would never touch the speaker's sockets in any way. Only if you want to destroy something or every thing.
:)
I don't use it but many people record the native guitar signal and the amp modelling is better than the original.
Edited by Neronick on 03-04-2017 09:55
Was born in an analog world.
posted on #4
Supporter
thanks Nick
I know I can use the software to simulate everything but I am trying to have the same sound recording or playing
posted on #5
Supporter
You need an [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_cabinet_(guitar)]isolation cabinet[/url]. There are DIY projects all over the web.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -George Carlin
posted on #6
Another powerful solution: Have a look at the YAMAHA THR - series.

Maybe the most powerful weapon ever help in a musician's hands who wants to record his fingertips.

Hope they will pay me for this promotion...my highest respect to these engineers.
posted on #7
Supporter
Thanks Nero, had a look at this, looks like nice equipment indeed.
However the question is: How can I record from the 50 W tube amp I have right now to my computer (without having to spend a whole lot more as my wallet is pretty empty now :D ).

So the solution of an insulation box/room that Danny suggested is one, I will have to think about that - but I would still prefer an electronic solution which will allow me to easily adjust the knobs and buttons on the amp without having to remove a box or go to a separate room to do so. But it is interesting indeed!
posted on #8
Well, you want the same as me. :)
What most people need are a good recording signal which needs mostly a good monitor signal to play in the right emotion.
But even if you record a loud 50W amp you'll record a mic position in a little room information. You'll never print your monitor signal on tape..
You simply want to hear a good sound, record a better sound and change this to the best sound for the singer in the band context.
I just learned that technology has reached a new FANTASTIC level.
Edited by Neronick on 06-04-2017 03:37
posted on #9
Supporter
TeeGee wrote:... but I would still prefer an electronic solution which will allow me to easily adjust the knobs and buttons on the amp without having to remove a box or go to a separate room to do so. But it is interesting indeed!
My iso box is just a speaker in a ported box. The amp stays near me while the box (with the speaker) goes into another room. I just bypass the speaker on my Marshall. It's a matter of switching a cable; it's no big deal.

Oh, and did you ever consider reamping so you can record at level when Mrs Gee isn't home? (There are many other benefits to reamping as well.)
Edited by DannyK on 05-04-2017 03:19
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -George Carlin
posted on #10
Supporter
Yo tg.....is there an effects loop? If so take your signal from the loop out point into your recorder. This is the signal after the pre amp stage, and should have most of your amp's "colour" dirty or clean. It will also break the signal path to the power stage of the amp, thus creeping it silent. If you want the "actual" sound....put the amp in a soundproof room along with the mic and monitor your signal via phones from your recording device.
Alternatively get "bias desktop" and sample in the sound of your amp then let it "model" the sound......works real well.
posted on #11
Supporter
Forget the amp idea, get a tube pre-amp, only thing that won't upset Mrs Gee :D
posted on #12
Supporter
eGiL wrote:
Forget the amp idea, get a tube pre-amp, only thing that won't upset Mrs Gee :D

Too late, I already got the amp - I wanted it. I will work to find a solution. I will try the suggestion by Kimbo this weekend, let's see where it gets me
posted on #13
Supporter
just remember, a tube amp without a load will not last long, do not run it without a speaker or power soak or it will kill it. if you can isolate the pre-amp via the effects loop and it mutes the power amp as Kimbo suggested that is ok but keep the speaker plugged in, as long as the switch is on the power amp is still on and has to have a load
posted on #14
Supporter
when the cats away it's time to play--50w out loud, when she's home use you pedal!

I :|was going to say you should have got a 12 watt or a 5 watt amp and mic'ed it through the PA when playing live

but even a 5 or 12 watt will make the cat not purr kindly in your direction!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Pedersen from Denmark

"Everyone deserves to be able to jam with others! supporting wikiloops with a penny here and there, and share links on the web makes this possible!"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.