Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »Using an old 4-tracker

Using an old 4-tracker

posted on #1
User Avatar Member
Maybe you like to smile.

I went to the cave and looked for my first Tascam 4-tracker. Found the device in an excellant condition for recording and playing back old casette tapes.

Then I wondered when I used it the last time? I found the last burned CD-R, dated 2001. I had used a CD-Burner as the mastering tool.

I wondered about the audio quality of these old live recordings. The Tascam 05 could only record 2 tracks at the same time.

Now I compared this old forgotten CD with a fairly new CD. I have burned some downloaded
MP3s on a CD-R because these are fantastic remixes. Well, what do you guess has been my surprise?

If you listen often to MP3s you get your ears drilled to it in only a few minutes...

By the way, playing is fun. This little device has pretty useful faders and analog EQs with easy to move faders, too.
I like to touch faders in real time...
Vor jedes Ende hat Gott die Übertreibung gesetzt!
posted on #2
plastic toys ...
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #3
User Avatar Member
I just found some old 8 track reel to reel recordings I did back around 1988 on some Foster gear. Pulled some salvageable stuff over to the DAW and might just sing and play a duet with myself of 30 years ago!
posted on #4
User Avatar Member
Yeah, it's real fun to join the great bands jams again with modern DAW's VSTs. Nothing compares to 4 or 8 tracks recorded live...
Or to listen to a 2-tracker with children's voices singing "famous" songs.
Cassettes still work fine. Lost devices for 18inch tapes, super-8-films, vhs-videos and video8-tapes.
A secure backup medium seems to be minidisc. I am not sure if I can trust the terrabytes storage. Don't know if there will an usb-connecter in 20 years... :) :)
The first CDs stopped running and the last ones near the end, too.
Edited by Neronick on April 25 2017 21:14
posted on #5
User Avatar Member
You can't find this hint in an old manual: How to get 4 tracks out of the toy recorder without 4 direct outs?
Solution:
Use SYNC-OUT for track 4. Fader 4 is zero.
Use CUE-Out for track 3. Fader 3 is zero. Use Cue3 instead.
Use Bus-R for track 2, panned R.
Use Bus-L for track 1, panned L.
Use Faders for Masterbus and set Masterfader.
Now you got 4 parallel outs to record at once. You can't use a 2-pass recording to transfer old cheap audio.
:)
On other machines (no Tascam 414) you might use the phone jack for the tracks on the cue bus.
Sync-out needs to be without a hidden filter (like Porta 05). On some machines you can transfer only 3 outs, I guess.
:)
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
onewholeft

"Wikiloops is a must for ageing musicians like myself ! It has given me something to look forward to every day ! I have made may new great friends !"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.