Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Mp3 compression

Mp3 compression

posted on #1
I find it frustrating to hear Mp3 version after spendind time mixing and mastering. For example effects I put on vocal cant be heard or change once compressed.
Is there a technique for preparing a recording for Mp3?
posted on #2
Supporter
i am not sure i fully understand your question ... could you develop a little and describe what you're doing ?
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #3
Supporter
TU, what are the settings you use for generating your MP3? I can only advice you to use 320 kbit/s it should be good enough to hear effects etc. you put in .
posted on #4
A high-quality MP3 (say 256Kb/s or over) should be indistinguishable to a raw WAV file to the human ear. So if you are loosing quality then either a) you're not encoding correctly or b) you're not encoding at a high enough quality.

Could you elaborate on how you make an MP3? Are you rendering directly to MP3 from a DAW or are you mixing down to a .wav file and then encoding that? What tools do you use?

A way that works for me is to render down to a high quality 24 bit 48Khz wav file from DAQ, open in Audacity, normalise, and use the high quality LAME encoder settings. See http://www.audacityteam.org/
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
anonymous

"I am happy and proud to be a continued supporting member of the loops. This is such a fantastic site.. it's opened up a whole new world to me... literally.. it's awesome collaborating with so many talented people from all across the globe."

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.