Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Bassline mixing - Help needed

Bassline mixing - Help needed

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Hello,

first of all, sorry for my poor English.

I'm on wikiloops, since two years, I've made around 30 mix, and I'm often not totaly happy with "the global " sound of the mix.

For example :
my last mix :#122917
https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-122917.php

it's a second mix, On the first one, an another mamber advise me that the bass was too weak.

And here finaly I found it too loud, the sound doen't match perfectly with the mix.

I've used a fretless bass passive
Steinberg interface / sequel software
I've added some compression / chorus

I've balanced the bass on 10 % on right and the others instruments on the left.

bass flat - medium and treble with some boost.

Let me know what do you think and how can I get a better "global" sound

Thank's

Sébastien
posted on #2
Hello Sebastian...

My name is Joe and I am the undisputed KING of bad bass mixes.

Okay the FIRST place to start....

Is what you hear when you record , different from what you hear after its uploaded?(It sounds like that is the case).

If YES, then you are not using the correct speakers or headphones and are not hearing it right.(Headphones color sound , you need studio monitors or headphones that dont fancy up the sound and present it exactly as recorded)

Anything you are using to monitor the song as you mix it, that has a "Bass Boost" is a huge problem and most likely the culprit.

OR

Your DAW settings are off so when you create your song to upload, its being altered. You may have to go online and Google what other people use for output settings.

Start there. If what you hear is not what comes out of your DAW, the problem is with your monitoring equipment not being "true" or your software is changing things when you spit out the song to upload.

Let us start there first.
Edited by LeftTheLoops9-18 on November 30 2017 14:40
posted on #3
.Sebastion, I listened to your song.

I am listening on good AKG studio headphones.

I can hear your bass fine but just a slight hint of distortion from level overload on your lower string.

Your problem is not mixing or EQing. You come thru fine.

Your problem is volume level but if you bring it up when mixing as you said earlier, you are too loud.

So I believe you are listening with something that is changing or boosting your bass like regular headphones or speakers that boost bass.

Your bass "tone" is fine and nothing is "covering " or "fading you out".

Check your headphones/speakers. try different ones.
Edited by LeftTheLoops9-18 on November 30 2017 14:57
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
Thanks Relativity,I will check the software first and the headphones.
I use sequel, and I've often problem with the level, I can see on the screen that I'm not in the red zone, but the sound starts to be distorted.....
I've not or the problem with audacity, but I prefer use sequel ( more friendly access)
posted on #5
What I have done is mix a song. Burn to CD then go listen in your car or another sound system. If it sounds different then what you heard in the headphones when you mixed it, your problem is equipment.

Alot of bassists have this problem but its all how bad you want to fix it. Dont let it ruin the fun. make it the fun solving it and becoming a better player! Let us know what you find!
Regards,

Joe
posted on #6
Love your playing by the way from what I heard!
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
Hi Sebastien

I heard your track and it gives me the section that apart from the great observation of Relativity on equipment, I do not sound the same as the bass line on earphones, that in desktop monitor systems or in the audio car system. There is a possible saturation of the bass input signal on your DAW (even if it does not indicate red zone). If the aleonz voice is set (wonderful, by the way) it also makes a clicking noise in certain passages and is motivated by a high bass recording signal.
It has happened to me other times and by reducing "gain", boost or volume improves this question, that's why the bass sounds distorted. The line is great in the fretless but I think that makes it sound bad

I finally use Audacity which gives me few problems

In each track that I upload, I do the technical recording, and if you are interested. In my user wikiloops, I indicate how I do the recording setting, now I use number three with low passives and lastly the direct input of the pedalboard in USB interface with active bass with good results

You have to experiment with the gain signal and its bass volume from the bass EQ itself (if active bass). If the signal saturates it has no arrangement!!; while if you record at low volume with good signal quality you can always increase it at pleasure with digital effects (volumen level, compressor, boost, enhanced stereo, etc)

It is my reflection ....

We hear each other

PS the last cut with Ark and technical information #122996
Edited by GlezBass on December 01 2017 01:06
:)
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
Hello folks,

a lot of information here, a lot of new knowledge and vocabulary, I'm not really interessted by the " home reccording" " softwares" etc etc I will take time on it.

Thanks Glez, I will go on your user listen some of your track and check the specification !!:) great idea !

today I'will try an another software: reaper, and learn what means " daw" (..... ???? wtf ?? daw ? daw of the dead, daw till dusk)

Have a nice w-e !
posted on #9
Theres nothing wrong with Audacity. I use both and Audacity is every bit as good as Reaper and so on. I have another post somewhere in here about some problems I had using Audacity and recording bass where I would upload my song and a week later the bass would disappear off the song!!! Everyday a little bit would get softer until finally no more bass! Turned out it was a setting.

Reaper has issues too but of a different sort.

Part of the fun is figuring this stuff out as a year from now youll laugh at how much you learned!

Regards,

Joe
posted on #10
DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
STAN (Station Audio Numérique) en français
et oué je suis assez d'accord pour dire que les acronymes craignent des mains ...
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #11
User Avatar Supporter
c-bass wrote:
Hello folks,

a lot of information here, a lot of new knowledge and vocabulary, I'm not really interessted by the " home reccording" " softwares" etc etc I will take time on it.

Thanks Glez, I will go on your user listen some of your track and check the specification !!:) great idea !

today I'will try an another software: reaper, and learn what means " daw" (..... ???? wtf ?? daw ? daw of the dead, daw till dusk)

Have a nice w-e !

You're welcome friend

Reading here or browsing the internet or youtube anger knowing the basics to record and get its sound and its method
The important thing is to have fun with this world and the music
Reaper is a good free recording software (DAW) with registration. There are plenty of programs to record from free to paid, for my part I prefer the simplicity that offers good results, and if it is free better (with a better donation to help developers!) And with Audacity I found what I needed
I invite you to listen to tracks recorded with Audacity and other more expensive professional software, and I assure you that it will be very difficult to find the difference

regards

Mario

PS I am not a commercial seller of Audacity :)
:)
posted on #12
User Avatar Supporter
OliVBee wrote:
DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
STAN (Station Audio Numérique) en français
et oué je suis assez d'accord pour dire que les acronymes craignent des mains ...

On verra pour la suite, je bosse un de tes titres ^^ j'en bave, je me suis commandé une méthode pour l'occasion :)

Ok sorry, it's an international forum " french off"
posted on #13
Ravi de t'avoir donné l'envie ;)
Glad i could give you the motivation somehow !
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #14
User Avatar Supporter
OliVBee wrote:
Ravi de t'avoir donné l'envie ;)
Glad i could give you the motivation somehow !

I forgot to give" a thumb " to the song, You will know wich one I'm working, I've found so fun to play, but I've any knowledge in this style of music....so I've purchased a new bass method :)
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Edwardough from United States

"I support wikiloops because I once didn't have money and really wanted to have a database like this! Now that I do have a little more money, I can help!"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.