Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »Songs that are being played at local gigs

Songs that are being played at local gigs

posted on #1
User Avatar Member
Here's a question I want to put down:

Since I go out a lot these days, sometimes the group plays songs that are recorded by people on their phones.

What is the WikiLoops conduct on uploading these to the site, are they "original" songs that could be uploaded or would the quality be too low for the Loops ?
posted on #2
Founder
Hmmm, theres two aspects to that:
The phone reording quality itself is not what I'd object against, we do get to hear such tracks every now and then,
and personally I sometimes even like a little lo-fi audio, BUT:
Recording a group / band / jam seems very unlikely to fit in the "here is something that you might want to add something to" frame of wikiloops collaborations,
plus you would need to "lie" when confirming that you are the single author/musician of the piece.
To tell you the truth, I've aked myself quite the same question after receiving some quite funny recordings from my own band project lately, but decided against uploading any of that to the collaboration wiki - it just doesn't fit that frame IMO.
I have considered opening a wikiloops private band and uploading the tracks there, to then "publish" them for public access- that would somehow seem OK to me,
but I feel we are well advised to try to keep (finished) self-presentation out of the collaboration collection.
Hope that does make sense to you, well, you know I probably won't come after you should you decide to take a different point of view :)
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #3
User Avatar Member
I can tell you my opinion only. Art is free. You could choose to cut high and deep frequencies to create a personal style.
I am a fan of live recordings with tracks blending into each other. I have learned that you need at least 3 tracks, better 4. (Talking about 3 or more musicians in the band). Very important is the recording of the Hihats and the vocal track. The third track could carry the rest.
In doubt trust your ears to decide about the quality of an audio recording for international audience...
:)
posted on #4
User Avatar Member
Dick wrote:
Recording a group / band / jam seems very unlikely to fit in the "here is something that you might want to add something to" frame of wikiloops collaborations,
plus you would need to "lie" when confirming that you are the single author/musician of the piece.

The thing is, the people playing are mostly people that I know or musicians that I have met on my travels. I know that 1 of the songs that I have ended up on Youtube as well. The lying part I can totally relate to and would not be a good thing to do as well

But your answer is complete and clear. Don't record people in public and put it on Wikiloops.
posted on #5
User Avatar Member
@Dick Would that be bands.wikiloops.com that has the same build as Wikiloops or a complete different project you're talking about ?
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
FrankMil from Australia

"the best thing to happen for musicians since electricity was invented"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.