Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »Oh No!! Gibson Guitar Faces Imminent Bankruptcy

Oh No!! Gibson Guitar Faces Imminent Bankruptcy

posted on #1
Surely not!! I read about it in several places...

Must buy a Les Paul quickly......

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/02/16/gibson-guitar-bankruptcy/
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
have you played a modern Gibbo recently?... all I have tried have been utter rubbish not worthy of the brand on the head. maybe if they had stayed at kalamazoo and carried on making crafted guitars instead of trying to get rich and producing overpriced rubbish sold on the back of what had gone before, they might still be a brand worthy of the high price tag and their new guitars would still be sought after and revered instruments.
he who works with his hands, is a labourer
he who works with his hands and his head, is a craftsman
he who works with his hands, his head, and his heart, is an artist.....(I try not to work)
posted on #3
kimbo wrote:
have you played a modern Gibbo recently?... all I have tried have been utter rubbish not worthy of the brand on the head. maybe if they had stayed at kalamazoo and carried on making crafted guitars instead of trying to get rich and producing overpriced rubbish sold on the back of what had gone before, they might still be a brand worthy of the high price tag and their new guitars would still be sought after and revered instruments.

Take a deep breath mate. I still hope they stay in business. So what you are saying is that if I want to buy a Les Paul it will have to be an older one??
posted on #4
Founder
I have heard the news as well. Funnyly, I applied for a job at Gibson a good 20 years ago when I was living close to Nashville and wondering what to do for a living, now I'm kinda glad that didn't work out.
Times are changing, but someone will buy up the brand name for sure... I'm affraid we'll see more of that in the future.
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
As Dick said, they'll probably go the way of Premier Drums, for example. The business may be shaky but the brand is powerful. Expect some unknown business to by up the brand and re-release with them made cheaply elsewhere in the world.

To be fair, Premier drums seem to be putting out good kit these days with some good name endorsers too, despite being made in cheap-labour parts of the world.
Edited by mpointon on March 05 2018 12:51
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
It's also not helped by the fact that musicians have a habit of being terribly fashion conscious. If the 'cool' players ain't using Gibson, they will fade, at least temporarily.

The whole issue is blurred by the fact musicians are being pushed further and further into the background in favour of the cult of celebrity for the singer (I blame X-Factor, et al).

At the moment there's little in the way of 'bands' at the forefront of popular music. Streaming and YouTube further push them into a faceless background. Without stand-out figureheads endorsing their wares, it's a hard marketing battle.
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
@ teegee.....defo.
he who works with his hands, is a labourer
he who works with his hands and his head, is a craftsman
he who works with his hands, his head, and his heart, is an artist.....(I try not to work)
posted on #8
kimbo wrote:
@ teegee.....defo.

That would probably mean i'll never get one...the old ones are so expensive I can't afford them. :|
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
carlottis

"gracias a todos los músicos que colaboran en wikiloops, es interesante la sensación de saber, que alguien en algún lugar del mundo sabe de ti y de tu música, y lo mas interesante, compartirla, GRACIAS"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.