Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »How to write your first song

How to write your first song

posted on #1
User Avatar Member
I watched a television contest yesterday and I am sorry to say that I can't remember any of the six songs they played -

How to write a song?

Type this question into Google and you'll find hundreds advisors. My hints are short.

Let us write a 16 bars song. Take 3 chords and build a group of 4 bars:
Example: C G F C

Now repeat this group 4 times. We call these 4 groups a verse.
Find a melody, listening to the loop.
Now it comes to invite a variation.
Use group no. 3 or group no.4.

The simplest variation could be "tacet only". Don't play chords.
Good for group no. 3. Use your guitar's body as a drum.
Change the melody in this group.

With the new melody in these 4 bars replace the tacets with new chords. There are hundreds of possible variations.

Of course you can directly create a new group of 4 at bars 9 to 12.

The second variation I would mostly add is a "bridge" of 8 bars after the 2. or 3. verse. It should contain a third idea and something different.

I guess some thousands of songs are stored in my brain. Songs like "All along the watch tower" or "Waterloo".
Why can't they play songs at a contest I am able to remember?
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
frankyguitar from Germany

"Wikiloops, the first place for sharing my ideas in music. Meet fantastic musicians all over the world. I'm learning every day! You will love it!!"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.