Home »Forum»Feedback and Suggestions»Tags in different languages ? Is it correct ?

Tags in different languages ? Is it correct ?

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Hello,

Question: Is it correct to put tags in english and same translated to french for a mix ?

BR,
Laurent
Edited by ellouidir on March 08 2018 18:27
posted on #2
Founder
Hey,
if you are talking about the "sounds like" tags, please mind they need to be single words or singleWords ( = several words connected into one, like on twitter, no blank spaces in tags)
I don't think supplying a translated title there is ideal, the available characters are quite limited too on tags.
I think i'd rather put the translated title in the track description, or right in the title field... like:
"Chanson noire (The black song)" if that fits into the available limit.
just a pointer, not a rule ;)
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
I was talking about lyric's keywords you asked for to retrieve the song's lyric in the forum which are not only the title translation.

But i understand the answer. In fact, it would need a specific field for each language because of the special characters ? Right ?
Edited by ellouidir on March 08 2018 19:00
posted on #4
Founder
ah, sorry I misunderstood you there...

Now, let me try to explain what my ideas are so far:

Lyrics and Tracks- I see them as two separate items (thinking in items is really at the core of developing stuff, and one better think hard before mixing data belonging to different items in one...)

These two items can touch each other only by one single merging piece of data: The key here is to give any lyric its own ID number, then the track item ony needs the extra assigned field stating "This track is making use of lyric ID 12345".
Since there can be multiple tracks & their remixes making use of one lyric, it would not make sense to attach any meta-data belonging to the lyrics to each of those tracks.
That would lead to endless problems, think about editing a typo in the lyrics, you wouldn't want to have to do that on all tracks, but rather do it in the single lyric item, problem solved quickly.

So, to me it doesn't make much sense to include tags concerning the lyrics within the tracks data - the lyric items need tags of their own, and a language selector of their own.

These extra data fields must be offered on the lyrics entering end of things, and that is what i'll proceed to next (not that huge of a task, really).
Once we have those data fields, I can evaluate these and let the text-search tool offer matching lyrics.

It will then make no difference which language your tags are in, the database doesn't care, so you could provide any type of mixed language tags.

Wether it makes sense to let a lyric in french show up for a keyword like "sadness" is something i'm not really sure about, if someone seeks for english keywords, that is a quite strong indicator he or she is looking for english lyrics, otherwise one would have searched for "tristesse" right away, don't you think?

posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
Yes, it is logical to me too.

Well your reading point me out that the lyrics that i used was a modified version of the forum lyric's post. Will it be recorded as a new Lyric in Lyrics table with a parent relationship to the initial Lyric's post ? Or would it stay in the mix Lyrics field ?

In fact, i think then it would be better to allow fulltext search rather than tag fields but i think that it would take more resources.
Edited by ellouidir on March 08 2018 19:47
posted on #6
Founder
Hey,
have a look, I've rebuilt the lyric library area, so the whole lyric item classification end is available now.

I have not touched the track end of things so far,
it will take some extra options that will need to be included whenever "vocals" are uploaded.

An extra field "Reference a Lyric from the Lyric Library" is needed there, and yes, we can still use the lyrics field of the track to enter edited versions of the original, why not.
I'll get there soonish, now we just need to bring some livelyness into that segment :)

I'm still undecided wether a new notification type "user X started a new thread / user Y added new lyrics to the library" is really needed, it wouldn't be too hard to add tho.

Thanks for putting some drive to the issue, let's hope some folks enjoy these options :)

posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
Hello,

I didn't try to put a lyric but i had a look at the lyric's form.

It's a very good job.

It's a very good idea to be able to attach some file like an audio file to a lyric. It will allow the lyricist to attach his vision of the song without the need to elaborate like a wikiloops mix (like with a simple audio recorder) or other things.

Thanks a lot Dick !
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
jmrukkers from Switzerland

"Wikiloops - the biggest, baddest truly global jam ever. Happening right here, right now, at wikiloops.com!"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.