Home »Forum»Open mic at the blue Iguana »Video collab of wikiloops jammers?

video collab of wikiloops jammers?

posted on #1
Supporter
this idea turned up in the shoutbox last night, so I thought I'd pick it up and take it here:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a little video where all the wikiloops jammers are shown, including their national location and their recording setup at home?

I can imagine going two ways: Either, we agree on a wikiloops track that shall be the main soundtrack running thru the vid - then anyone can play along to that track, video this and send in the result - I'd cut that up and try to make it a watchable video, transporting some of the fun of wikiloops.

Another, even simpler approach would be a vid with one soundtrack played thru. and the members just saying hi to the camera (maybe with instrument in hand), like "Hey, I'm Dick from Germany, and I play bass on wikiloops!"... the more, the crazier, the better. Even tho it might sound strange, you could even add a really short three second "I go off on my instrument like this"-Solo, if its cut well, it wont necessaryly be received as not fitting to the background track (we could agre on some basic key, too....)
Of course, it would be nice to "see" you all that way, and it might make a nice little promo trailer underlining the international team spirit on wikiloops.

Let me know what you think, it would be good if we could agree on a video framerate / encoding type before we start, otherwise we'll run in to synchronisation probs when cutting...

so whos in?

D
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #2
I'm in definitely.
keep on Jammin'
posted on #3
Supporter
Hi Dick, nice and funny idea. What technical things are needed?
If I could, i'm in.
posted on #4
Supporter
basicly, a webcam will do, or a movie made with a standard digicam...
if its mpeg video or some other standard, I'll hopefully be able to cut it. Just make a really short 15-20sec max sequence of yourself greeting the commnity or something, depending on the filesize I'll open an .ftp directory to upload to or you can mail it to me at info atttt wikiloops.com

:)

looking forward to first contributions, I think I'm going to add text overlayed username and country to the clips if no one objects...

posted on #5
which key shall we use for the short solo ?
keep on Jammin'
posted on #6
Supporter
It is a nice idea but there should be lots of users who want to be shown in that video.
Tha bass has to be a lil louder...!
posted on #7
i'd say in the long run you should do both. it might take some more work and preperation for the video of one jam with all contributors..but the result could be really as cool as in the beforementioned "playing for change" project or here: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCCoggBkcdM[/url] or probably anywhere in the videouniverse.

there are some really cool jams already online, so could be one idea to pick one and the contributing musicians do sort of a playback of their former part ?!
Edited by Janos on 14-05-2012 19:18
posted on #8
Supporter
OKOK, we need to sort this out a little...

I'm going to give you two options, please make up your minds wich is what youd like to do:

OPT 1: The "whoohoo wikiloops! greetings from X" kind of vid, with little instrument action, just showing some nice people saying hi

OPT 2: a real music collab video with many musicians playing to one previously chosen song

personal opinion: Opt 1 would be easy to do and a nice way to show some community spirit without sync issues etc etc
Opt 2 is a hard to do project, the vids used for the project shown on YT are all excellent non webcam quality, and there was some really good soundman in the works who had all the audio seperately from the vid material. Thats what helps you hear what you see a lot there -
I have tried my share of stuff like that, and even tho it would be really cool, I'd rather pass the job to create the final cut to someone else...

anyone seen this before?! guess not...

[url]http://www.funkhausflowsdorf.de/F_V/html/afrobeat_saxdank.html[/url] :)
MrSnuts, Baer n me... lol

posted on #9
I like the idea of choosing 1 song, and we all play remixes of it.
for example Basster plays a bassline to a a wikiloops themesong, then after a few bars you hear my version of the bassline, and same goes for other instruments :)
Maybe guitarists and other solo instruments can play a short solo?

Wikiloopers that choose not to be visible can always set the cam in a way their face is not in the screen?

something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AyWd1C7k9Q

but then with different people and with some videocutting you can switch remixes through the song :)
posted on #10
Administrator
Count me in man!
posted on #11
Dick it´s definitely a great idea. I think your idea is a vid like this:
[url]http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741[/url]
I think we should try this and I prefer option 2.

Let´s start the worldwide session :)
Edited by gnoerreby on 17-05-2012 10:04
posted on #12
wow what a cool jam ! hope we will do a similar collaboration one day
keep on Jammin'
posted on #13
Supporter
problem is...
I made some snippets yesterday, but I ended up finding out neither my netbook nor my old w2k recording engine are capable of editing HQ video...
too bad, had a nice introduction done so far, now I cant cut it...
anyone any helpful hints... dunno if there is any w2k compatible software out there, used to use pinnacle studio... hrmpf :(
Edited by Dick on 19-05-2012 10:59

posted on #14
Supporter
OK, six hours later, many, many conversions later...

here you go fellas:

[url]http://www.wikiloops.com/wikilonians.php[/url]

I would like to ask you all who would like to participate to send in your stuff to me, so I can do the cutting. Lets not put fifty snippets on youtube, better wait and make a nicely cut vid :)

As you will see, I just took one of the most simple beat backings, I hope anyone can do 8 bars on that (spice it up adam ;P )

Please send in both good quality mp3 soundfile and video file so I can do the assembly and text overlays here... looking forward to your contributions!

posted on #15
Great will give it a try tomorrow
posted on #16
Supporter
I received some Email requests on how to go about - let me sum up how this is supposed to work:

first, here is the link to my video-opener again:

[url]http://www.wikiloops.com/wikilonians.php[/url]

What you need to show up:
Is your standard wikiloops recording setup plus a camera thats capable of creating short video clips (might even be a phone...).

How to do it?
[url=http://www.wikiloops.com/upload/Rock_Jam_Along_No_383_von_Baer_454_74829.mp3]Download Session 383[/url] and get set up to record a remix.
Film yourself while recording the remix - the video sound will be replaced by your audio recording later, so bad camera sound doesnt matter if the audio recording turns out OK.
!Note: please be aware that you have to mic & record your voice if you want to say something, the video sound will be erased!!!
!Note: To make cutting the video easy, please give a sign / take a break / clap your hands before your 8 bars start - that will help big time when syncing the video to the audio recording later.

When you are done, you should have
a) an audio remix of you and Session 383, make that a nice fat 320k mp3 file if you like.
b) the video clip in whatever format your cam recorded

Good news: I will do the cutting and syching here, so you don't have to worry about that.

How to get the files across?
you may email your files to info at wikiloops dot com, or send me a PM and I'll give you access to a place where you can upload your files to wikiloops directly. You could upload the files to some external hoster and send me the link, too.

Additional Info:
Video formats: kewl would be a 720 to 480 resolution at 30 FPS, but I guess I can handle whatever elese, too. MP4 & MPEG or AVIs welcome.
And if I want to video-remix the bassline?
Of course, you are free to do that, even tho I dont have a clue how to cut that together if the track branches off to diffrent directions... if you feel like we should see where this is going, you'll find the bassline at track No.4374.
Edited by Dick on 20-05-2012 11:02

posted on #17
Supporter
Hi Dick - ich schreib das mal auf deutsch weil mein Englisch hierfür nicht ausreicht.
Die Bassline die du auf die Drums gespielt hast ist ja nur ein Ausschnitt des gesammten Stückes. Wäre es nicht besser zunächst mit einem Instrument das komplette Stück einzuspielen und dann andere daran entlang hangeln zu lassen. Anderen falls besteht doch die Gefahr, dass die Instrumente untereinander nicht zusammenspielen.
Ich meine, wenn du z.B. mit dem Bass angefangen hast, sollte die Bassline erst durch dich und andere Bassspieler fertig gestellt werden. Danach können sich andere Instrumente mit ihrem Spiel nach den Vorgaben richten.
Der Bass ist natürlich nur ein Beispiel - es könnten auch Gitarren anfangen. Der Rythmus der Drummer muss natürlich auch passen.
Tha bass has to be a lil louder...!
posted on #18
Supporter
Watch out! Session 383 is with drums only. As we need a chord basis, we should remix the version with Dicks Bass as in the video 4374 !

I have made a ready remix video and sound synchro, 1 file - can you use that, Dick?
posted on #19
Supporter
Trying to get this straight now:

- If you guys want to continue building up by adding instruments on top of each other, there will be too much sound piling up with more and more people joining. We can do that for 4 or five musicians, then the short bassline will wear out and the sound complete.
If another bassist or a drummer would like to share another remix of the drums-only track, the next four members can jump on that.

The video would then sound like this, while the latest musician would be shown:
- Baer starts (383)
- Baer + Dick (4374)
- Baer + Dick + Lutz
- Baer + Dick + Lutz + Someone
- Baer + LetssayMrPink
- Baer + LetssayMrPink + Someoneelse...

that could be fun, and as long as we keep posting the mixes on wikiloops too, its easy to join at any stage...

my idea was rather anyone have a go on the drums without wanting to make it a song, to make a song with a straight part structure, it would make sense to pre arrange the song like basster advises... my aproach was rather to show a bunch of people having fun all around the world jamming to a bears free beats ;)

Lets not make too strict rulings right now, send in whatcha think is cool and I'll do my very best to get the coolest result :)

send me that clip of yours Lutz, I'll try my best to get the sound into the mix, if I cant do it, I'll get back at you!

posted on #20
hey dick cool that you will do all the work and give free rules. I will send you my riff over your baseline ! just the a part riff from 4380 so maybe somebody could use that as a basic riff for his vid.

greetz Pete
keep on Jammin'
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
HiFiFlutes from United States

"Wikiloops is my music instructor ! The musicians I have met here are extremely talented and wanting to be helpful.. always with a smile :) Thanks !!"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.