Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »Repertoire for a live jam

Repertoire for a live jam

posted on #1
User Avatar Member
I don't want to be a street musician but sometimes I take my guitar and play outside for the sinking sun in a nice park.

I live in a rural side and normally people don't jam outside. This could be a reason why strangers passing by seem to be shy...

Now I use a VERY little batterie powered amp. It has an AUX-in and I can connect a smartphone or other player to get some drums, bass, piano and strings out of the really good sounding speakers. Then I patch the guitar cable to the amp and the session starts.

It's a good training for repertoire. I mean 3 or 7 or 12 songs you can play and know all the lyrics and arrangements without any help.
Of course repertoire is a choice. And you need backing-files to prepare to jam with. They shouldn't contain my guitar track!

It will be my fun and pleasure to jam with some of you, too. I am still working on my repertoire of songs. :)

But in a public place with a small audience I like to use famous cover songs, too. Let's say the playlist could contain 50% of cover song or even more.

But the main idea is to get a NEW repertoire of own songs! I know how easy it is to close a song project with a final upload and jump to the next project.

Playing outside is an other funny challenge to do on a regular basis. You can't do this with earphones in a closed room in front of a computer.

If you have been a street musician or you have experience to organize little spontan live jams, please share your thoughts.
:)
Edited by Neronick on April 22 2018 08:25
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZeSZFYCNRw
One of the world's greatest violinists playing on a 3.5 million dollar violin busking in a subway station, and almost nobody stops to listen. He probably played at a concert hall that night for $10,000.

I'd prefer to have leprosy than play covers for the public.
posted on #3
User Avatar Member
I know these stories and it is good to know them.

I've never played a cover in my life to sound like a cover. But I don't mind famous compositions.

What I can tell you if you hear Pewi's flute or Gnoerrby's fantastic harp out of little speakers to jam with your own songs: you get a shiver about the talents of your friends!

On other songs you could easily use pure and poor midi backing as long as you love to play with a bit virtuosity for yourself some unheard private covers for fun.

I am planning a CD "Jams for guitar players in the park near the big lake".

Much work to do!
:)
Edited by Neronick on April 29 2018 19:43
posted on #4
User Avatar Member
Work in progress. An example. A new backing of an older song to play the guitar again. (Testing how to embed a player for the first time)
[wl]136911[/wl]
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Dino from The World

"This is an AWESOME resource that we as musicians, regardless of skill level, must nourish and keep alive! "

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.