Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Which Delay Pedal??

Which Delay Pedal??

posted on #1
I am looking to buy a delay pedal, maybe you guitarists can give me some advice. I think I'd like to have one with a few different types of delays. So what are you guys using?

Cheers :)
posted on #2
Founder
you know I don't play guitar, but...
I'd try to make sure you can foot-tap the delays timing easyly. 100 fancy presets are no good if you can't keep up with re-adjusting the tempo in a jam situation.
And pretty please never develop the nasty habit to ignore the fact that a delay does create a rythmic pattern :D I get goosebumps when people turn on delays that bounce totally off time to the groove they are strumming and I might be drumming... that's not how that works, so, tapping speed is crucial IMO.

Seriously, my ideal idea of a delay would need three things:
- a cool way to tap the tempo (I'd want to re-tap during a song if no click is used),
- a switch to choose different measures (think: 1/1,1/2,1/4,1/1 D (...)1/1 T) - even if that doesn't speak to you at all right now, you'll figure out what that does in no time. The alternative to dial in the delay time in milliseconds is much less convenient than tap+measure setting.
- and last, one knob to set how much of the delay is re-fed to itself, leading to more or less decay time...
just my 2 cent. happy echos :)
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #3
Yes most pedals I looked at had a tap button, I am sure I'll have one. Problem is, there are so many to choose from, how can you know which is best?? :O
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
Adu got a fine little one with tap available if I remind it well.
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
I'm not a guitarist, but an echo is an echo, even for an instrument without neck, isn't it? ;)

I use a BOSS dd 20 Giga delay (https://www.amazona.de/test-boss-dd-20-giga-delay-gitarren-effektgeraet/2/) on my analog synth. 10 different delay-versions, up to 23 seconds plus an overdub function. Of course with tap function. It has four storage "drawers". Luckily no hum. A reverb function is missing.

But it seems to be no more available, at least not in "new". However, I bet, it has a follower.
Life is.
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
Hey TG ,

the tc electronic NovaDelay ND-1 is a fine one. But i agree with Dick, it´s nothing to jam with. ;)
Edited by adu on July 12 2018 22:38
Rockin´ in a free world !
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
I like the Tech 21 pedal https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tech-21-richie-kotzen-rk5-signature-fly-rig-guitar-effects-pedal

It's a little more, but it's got a delay you can tap on the fly. It also has a really nice OD with a separate boost channel. And, it's all analogue unlike most of the multi-effect pedals out there. check out the reviews. My huge pedal board I almost never use live anymore (although I sometimes use it when recording so I can get my Wah, my sculpted EQ, and my C-9 Organ pedal. This little thing is about 12" long and about 3 inches wide. It slips into a small metal case that it comes in and you just throw it in the gig bag. You might consider it Tee Gee. -- Gator
Gator
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
rtkradle from United States

"Wikiloops is an amazing platform to experiment with the styles of music that I never have had the opportunity to vocalize with. Thanks to all the excellent musicians/producers, the sound quality of the tracks are spectacular. "

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.