Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Heavy disturbing noise on guitar

heavy disturbing noise on guitar

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Hi Friends!! On one location where I would like to record guitar playing is located directly under a huge overhead powerline. When recording guitar or even playing directly over an amp, there is a brutal noise on the line. Even when using a super short wire.. it's there. Mike is ok.. Do you have an idea what I could do? Is there any trick to use on my pu s or the wire to protect for the electromagnetic pollution?
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
Hm - single coil PUs? The same with Humbuckers? And no, except from building a cage around yourself, there's not much coming to my mind... sorry.
posted on #3
Supporter
Does it make a difference when you put your hands on the strings? Does the noise change? If yes you have an electrical grounding issue.

Depending on guitar, it may be volume pots or pickups.

You can see online if they make noiseless pickups for your guitar.
When installong them , take out all the electronics and wires and spray non conductive coating in the cavity.They sell that too.

You can try soldering a wire to the metal back of your neck pickup and running that wire to what is called a star ground. A star ground is where all your green wires connect to one commen point inside the guitars cavity.

This problem has been around since they first made electric guitars.
The solution has always been the conductive paint/copper lining or else change the pickups to noiseless.
Edited by LeftTheLoops9-18 on August 19 2018 17:18
posted on #4
Supporter
[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71DiA5QI0SL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

https://www.amazon.com/Conductive-Shielding-Paint-Strat-Guitars/dp/B00CFSJ8F8

[youtube]-YZdUGWszKU[/youtube]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3bE5OzLjXME/T5zn-MDouoI/AAAAAAAAAIw/3d_4_cV_XWI/s640/star-grounding_edited-1.gif[/img]
Edited by LeftTheLoops9-18 on August 19 2018 17:15
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
wjl wrote:
Hm - single coil PUs? The same with Humbuckers? And no, except from building a cage around yourself, there's not much coming to my mind... sorry.

Ah well .. that perfectly matches the plans of my wife.. she always proposed to build a cage around me .. noise canceling type ... :|
Edited by Offfocus on August 19 2018 21:03
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
Relativity wrote:
[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71DiA5QI0SL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

https://www.amazon.com/Conductive-Shielding-Paint-Strat-Guitars/dp/B00CFSJ8F8

[youtube]-YZdUGWszKU[/youtube]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3bE5OzLjXME/T5zn-MDouoI/AAAAAAAAAIw/3d_4_cV_XWI/s640/star-grounding_edited-1.gif[/img]

Wow .. relativity .. thank you so much!! Great advice!! It’s a les Paul with humbickers and it doesn’t matter what I do with my hands.. also no difference where I stand, which direction the guitar is heading to .. I guess it’s simply a super brutal electromagnetic noise .. we had an old engineer here and he was able to make a light bulb shine just holding it in his hands :(
I am a bit afraid of getting all this stuff out of my guitar .. it will be a big surprise if I am able to resemble it again .. but no risk no fun ,, right? Thanks releyátivity .. much much apreciated...
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
Tin Foil your room, the windows, everything----you'll probably sleep better too
posted on #8
Offfocus wrote:
Hi Friends!! On one location where I would like to record guitar playing is located directly under a huge overhead powerline.

Sorry to hear about that. I don't think you can do much other than trying to have extra shielding, which was mentioned by the others. I guess moving is not possible? But if you have a chance, run!! I am not esoteric or believe in all sorts of 'magical' things, but I am pretty convinced that living under high voltage power lines or very near high power antennae is not only bad for your recording, but really bad for your health...
posted on #9
User Avatar Supporter
Hi loopers
I do not know if it solves the problem that Offocus says, but you can try this solve me. It's about making a cable with bass or thick guitar string, a simple connection on the output jack of the instrument as seen in the photo (no welding required) putting the cable in the mass/ground of the cable, then stick the cable to your body where you want, for example in the waist in contact with your skin body and ... surprise! many noises are eliminated !!
It is something similar to what isolates the microphones with copper tape, but very very simple to do

Try the trick and see if it works on your guitars or bass guitars!

regards
GlezBass attached the following image:

Edited by GlezBass on August 20 2018 18:30
:)
posted on #10
Founder
Hey,
most things to try covered here, just don't forget the most simple A / B test:
Take your guitar and amp elsewhere (Steinfeld?) and see if the hum is gone.
No need to build a static protection shield around your house if the amp is plain broken or something :)
If the problem is really related to the high voltage lines above your house, I'd also recommend doing something about that (grounded copper nets on the roof or something like that, I don't really know what would help).
That amount of electromagnetic field seems worth it, and i'm not affraid of a little electrosmog either.
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #11
User Avatar Supporter
GemmyF wrote:
Tin Foil your room, the windows, everything----you'll probably sleep better too

Hey Gemmy, thank you! First I thought you're kidding me .. but on the other hand .. why the heck not?!? Maybe a mesh in front of the widow is enough .. but the rest .. yeah I will put this into the family approval process (ok long lasting procedure.. but at the end we even decided for complete rebuild of the garden.. which - honestly - doesn't touch me at all (see lyrics of "insane gardeing") :o/ I'll think of it!! Thanks man!!
posted on #12
User Avatar Supporter
Dick wrote:
Hey,
most things to try covered here, just don't forget the most simple A / B test:
Take your guitar and amp elsewhere (Steinfeld?) and see if the hum is gone.
No need to build a static protection shield around your house if the amp is plain broken or something :)
If the problem is really related to the high voltage lines above your house, I'd also recommend doing something about that (grounded copper nets on the roof or something like that, I don't really know what would help).
That amount of electromagnetic field seems worth it, and i'm not affraid of a little electrosmog either.

Absolutely Dick!! But indeed guitar, wires, amp, mac .. all working pretty clear at any other location.. it's the damned overhead powerline ... Hopefully I'll be able to present in Steinfeld!! But again my perticipation is at risk.. keep your fingers crossed... please...
posted on #13
User Avatar Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
Offfocus wrote:
Hi Friends!! On one location where I would like to record guitar playing is located directly under a huge overhead powerline.

Sorry to hear about that. I don't think you can do much other than trying to have extra shielding, which was mentioned by the others. I guess moving is not possible? But if you have a chance, run!! I am not esoteric or believe in all sorts of 'magical' things, but I am pretty convinced that living under high voltage power lines or very near high power antennae is not only bad for your recording, but really bad for your health...

Hey TG .. yes I'm sure you're right! You do not need to be esoteric to interpret strong electromagnetic fields as a physical power which influence the body ... It's probably boiling my brain and other things which should stay cool and are located extracorporeal therefore..
posted on #14
User Avatar Supporter
GlezBass wrote:
Hi loopers
I do not know if it solves the problem that Offocus says, but you can try this solve me. It's about making a cable with bass or thick guitar string, a simple connection on the output jack of the instrument as seen in the photo (no welding required) putting the cable in the mass/ground of the cable, then stick the cable to your body where you want, for example in the waist in contact with your skin body and ... surprise! many noises are eliminated !!
It is something similar to what isolates the microphones with copper tape, but very very simple to do

regards

Hey Glezz .. thank you very much for this trick! Indeed I will try! It's a kind of McGuyver approach .. I had a seconf look at your fotograph .. this is really cool .. and smart!!
I love that!! I will report back, when I did my trial! Thanks so much guys!!
Edited by Offfocus on August 20 2018 23:07
posted on #15
User Avatar Supporter
It's very simple! cost 0 € and if it works some noise parasite removes, try it !! It works very well for me. Remember to put the sring in contact with the skin of the body ;)
In fact, it is based on the same phenomenon that reduces the parasite sound of any guitar when you play with your fingers and improves the parasitic sound, the trick is to make that contact continuously and prevent the noise from appearing when we lift the fingers from the strings
Undoubtedly an electromagnetic shield of the pickups also help to reduce that parasitic noise, but the grown effect of the fingers is superior
I try it in local rehearsal with big volumes of sound and it works !!
Do not expect reduction to zero !! only reduction of parasitic noise intensity
Edited by GlezBass on August 20 2018 23:26
:)
posted on #16
User Avatar Supporter
While almost every modern amplifier cord currently has a ground prong, some still may not. If this is only a two-bladed plug sometimes flipping the plug over will often eliminate the noise.

Also, particularly with humbucking pickups, if you turn and face the guitar in various directions, that is to say, turn slowly in a circle- some one direction may put you in the best noise/humbucking position.

Stray power could totally cause this. Old fashioned crt televisions made my table leg buzz like crazy!
Edited by BuzzBomber on August 21 2018 01:17
Ain't too young to admit it, And I'm not too old to lie,
I'm just another empty head - Bon Scott
posted on #17
User Avatar Member
GlezBass wrote:
Hi loopers

regards

Thank you!
Today I noticed a new and strange humming of my fishman pick-ups. The noice faded completely away when I touched the guitar cable slot with my right hand. Of course I wasn't able to record this way. I interrupted the recording and disassembled all electric parts, including the neck pick-up height position. Just to move the two screws. After this operation the ground shield was working again properly. Now touching the cable slot does no difference.

Another big source of humming noice can be the USB cable of the printer. I simply disconnect it when I use the DAW.
Edited by Neronick on August 22 2018 16:05
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Mmarc from France

"Long life to wikiloops"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.