Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »North American meet up

North American meet up

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Please anyone interested in participating in a North Amercian Wikiloops get together, let me know. Im very experienced in event organizing and Im happy to cordinate things if theres enough interest. Perhaps loopers from other countries could come too.
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
That would be awesome !!!
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
Ideas about location and costs would be good and give focus to what's possible. Overseas potential participants may have difficulties with USA immigration/borders. Is Mexico a possibility? Could be cheaper and easier for all including USA citizens coming from various regions? Alternatives could include Canada or one of the Caribbean states?

Better chance of getting European members to attend if a cheap flight destination is chosen and provides a "winter escape".
You're only as old as you smell
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
I was thinking Montreal could work. Major airport, its more affordable than most North American cities for accomodation and its funky. Logically once enough folk are interested we could hatch a plan together thats as mutually convienent as possible.
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
Talk to ROBJOL. He's from Quebec and has attended a few of the Germany jams. He's also retired and may have some time to help?

(Don't you just love people who volunteer others?)
Edited by Wade on September 25 2018 07:20
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
Caribbean sounds appealing to me...
Pure fingerstyle
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
Montreal is fine and I could help depending of the time it will happen because I will spend a lot of time in Germany.
:o
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
Hey Robjol together we could work something out ✌👍
posted on #9
User Avatar Supporter
Sure but like I said It depends of the time. Because I will live in Germany a great part of the year.
:o
posted on #10
User Avatar Member
If you choose a sunny spot over the ocean I'm In!!
posted on #11
User Avatar Supporter
Hmm, caribbean is kinda tempting.... :)
Or something like that! :)
posted on #12
User Avatar Supporter
Sure if I can be there I will. Montreal is good for me as I live in Albany NY area, but open to other ideas certainly if you can organize it and I can make it I will come :) Thanks for offering!
posted on #13
User Avatar Supporter
Great idea Tu - keep me in the, er, loop! :D
posted on #14
Founder
Hey,
as the one with probably the most experince in setting up such meetings, I feel I kinda need to get involved here :)

See, i like the initiative to think about a north american meeting. Canada sounds great to me (landing in the US as a non citizen has become a lot less fun over the last couple of years, sorry to say it as it feels...).

Now, the thing is, there has been attempts/talks/brainstorms around this topic several times in the past couple of years, and I remember even researching and calculating having a meeting in Nashville, TN some years ago.

Let me share my memory of doing that, not to turn you down, but to point my finger straight at the crucial issues.

To set up a meeting anywhere, it takes someone on the ground who can do organization, guide people in, make reservations and function as the central contact point for all involved services one might use (from a guesthouse to PA & gear rentals, to public transportation, visa and currency exchange guidance, these things).
Great if Tu feels capable of dealing with that!

Second, it does take a budget.
To reserve a music venue and something of 10-20 rooms + catering in some motel or guesthouse both needs to be done way ahead of time, and needs to be safe before people start reserving flights, right?
So someone needs to be willing and able to make those reservations and take the risk of having to pay these costs or go thru the hassle of rolling back any reservations should it turn out a crucial number of participants can't be gathered.
That is a tight and risky thing to enter into (hey, I've done it five times now!) - anytime I reserve the Steinfeld venue, I know I'm in with a risk of roundabout 5.000 USD, and I'll better convince more than 20 people to come by, otherwise i'll be left with a part of that to fund myself.
Yes, I've been collecting pre-payments as people register for the meetings, but to let people pre-pay prior to having booked the venue doesn't seem like a good idea to me - it might be the ony way on the north american side, you'll need to work that issue out.

Third and last, besides having an organizer on the ground and the budget covering the risk,
you need someone with guts to make the decision of: We'll make it happen, here's the date, here's the space, now make up your minds if you like to come.
If no-one steps foreward and presents such a clearly outlined offer, we can go on discussing 1001 potentially interesting options forever.
I've seen it happening many times, and to wait until 10 people agree on the same spot (in which one then doesn't have an individual on the ground, nor any contacts) is not likely to work from my experience.

I could go on giving more detailed advice on what to keep in mind if one was to aim for a steinfeld-like event, feel free to request that if it is of interest.
As one last item, let me tell you:
I've been offering a four day get together for an all-inclusive cost of roundabout 320 USD for a four day event.
Quite a lot of wikiloops people told me they didn't have that kind of pocket money to spend on an event like that (one needs to add travel expenses on top, too!), so I'm quite aware offering it for 500$ per head would immediately reduce the number of participants.
Whatever you plan, if it involves fixed cost for rooms & equipment, keep calculating how the attendance price evolves as you add these positions.
My Nashville calculation ended up way above 500 $ per head back then, simply because I couldn't borrow things like a PA, a drumset and the 1001 other things i can organize for free around Steinfeld, and that's when I didn't have the guts to risk reserving all that (shame on me).
Its not impossible to pull this off, it just takes a good organizer, a budget and some guts ;)

Last, I would appreciate if we could work together to make sure we will not end up offering two events in 2019, which then put potential participants in the position of possibly needing to choose which one to attend - there may be a few pelpe who could afford to attend both meetings, but most would have to opt for one, and it would be sad to see both events having a hard time making it happen because one didn't think about that in time.
To tell it like it is, I'm also aware that some people might have to balance supporting the wikiloops online project with spending money to attend a meeting, and it would be a shame to notice that having more meetings might lead to less support for the online platform, I hope you understand what I'm trying to point at here.

Keeping my fingers crossed and available to help
Richard
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #15
User Avatar Member
I decided to back off organizing something years ago due to the reasons Dick listed. We were thinking USA back then, and that was just too complicated. Also a big financial risk by just me to make it happen.
posted on #16
User Avatar Supporter
Just an opinion how about alternating events yearly? Uk then US then then Canada and so on. I have no idea how to coordinate such an event. Just an idea that passed through my mind. I did not read every post so not sure this had been already mentioned.? forgive me if it has:)
Edited by Mikebanez on October 18 2018 18:18
MIKEBINEZ
posted on #17
User Avatar Supporter
Mikebanez wrote:
Just an opinion how about alternating events yearly? Uk then US then UK then Canada and so on. I have no idea how to coordinate such an event. Just an idea that passed through my mind. I did not read every post so not sure this had been already mentioned.? forgive me if it has:)

Was that you volunteering to host a jam once very few years? Regardless of any other venue popping up, each jam is a matter of someone taking the reins and making it happen. Whoever does this doesn't necessarily have to promising to do it forever. Just once will suffice for now. If it works and makes you (or whomever) a few $$ then maybe you'll do it again? Costs, good access/transport (and all the factors Richard mentions) are critical for people to sign up and for success. USA immigration is a hindrance for some from outside the USA. Florida could be a good winter destination for much of the USA contingent and possibly those from Canada. Caribbean destinations would be better if you wanted to attract European members.
posted on #18
User Avatar Supporter
thank you for your response.I have a location the would be suitable. for Europeans to have have Cabins and depending how many will be here, may have to bunk up, that can be worked out . US residents may already have RVs and travel trailers, we will have plenty of sites available. .My wife is manager and proof read my post. here is a link to our web page. http://www.stjohnsrivercampground.com/
Edited by Mikebanez on October 17 2018 01:25
MIKEBINEZ
posted on #19
User Avatar Supporter
Looks like a nice spot and cabins with cooking facilities would work if it's not too difficult to go get groceries (the majority aren't likely to have a car).
Several questions:
1. What's the logistics for international arrivals? It's a long way from Miami. Would it be best to take another flight to Orlando or is it as easy to take ground transport?
2. What's the transport logistics from Orlando to the site (necessary for domestic arrivals as well)?
3. Are there two jam spaces on site that are suitable with one for electric playing and one for acoustic?
4. If the jam site is at the campground how could we be sure we wouldn't have a problem of disturbing others or monopolizing what's otherwise a public space? If people are spending a lot of $$ and coming a long way for this we couldn't risk being tossed out as a "disturbance".
5. Looks like only 6 cabins. Unless others live within a day or so of the campground (who have a camper-van or trailer) it seems like most would need accommodation. Is there other accommodation nearby (within walking distance).
6. Is there a drum set, a mixer and monitors available and enough plug points and power to run everything.
7. How's the acoustics of the jam site?

Really good of you to step forward as it's the first proposal that has some "bones". The above isn't meant to discourage you, just some things that need checking.

If answers and assurances can be given then I think you can look at assigning a date and seeing how many would be willing to come.

Thanks again Mike. So good of you.
Edited by Wade on October 17 2018 03:29
posted on #20
User Avatar Supporter
Have just checked and Orlando is an international airport with non-stop flights from Frankfurt, London Gatwick and Manchester. There may be other European cities as well. That certainly beats having to go to Miami!

Looks like about 30 miles from the airport to the campground. Can you confirm Mike?
Edited by Wade on October 17 2018 04:09
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
TEE-KWA from England

"Wikiloops have given me an opportunity that i would never had....A chance to sing and write with incredible talent.;)"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.