Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Best way to record a "Yamaha Guitalele?"

Best way to record a "Yamaha Guitalele?"

posted on #1
User Avatar Member
Hi,

I wish to try and record my attempts to play a "Yamaha Guitalele".

I have never recorded anything before and am unsure about exactly what I need.

I am thinking about a basic "USB Audio interface" and 'Microphone'.

As I am only a beginner, I am looking at the more economical end of the market.

Has anyone ever recorded this type of instrument before?

If so, what did you find to be the most effective/economical way of getting a decent recording?

Incidentally, I am considering the following:

(1) the Behringer UCG102 combined with
(2) the Superlux HI 10.

Do you think they would do the job for me?

Thanks,

dave-c
dave-c attached the following image:

Edited by dave-c on October 26 2018 10:01
posted on #2
Founder
Hey Dave,
I've taken a quick look at your two devices of choice - both are very "budget", but that's fine with me for a start.
The mic looks allright (for the price and purpose), but the UCG102 can't work with that microphone, it expects you to plug in a so called "line signal", like what you'd get when playing an electric guitar.

That microphone expects to be connected by a three-strand XLR-cable, which you can't connect to the behringers mini jack, so that will not work.

Also, the mic needs a special thing called "phantom power" to work, which is not offered by the behringer.

So, what you'll need if planning to use that mic is a USB device that has
- a microphone preamp with XLR input jacks and
- offers phantom power to serve the mic.

Such devices are available out there at a price of roundabout 100$, and that is definetly money well spent IMO.

Hope that helps a little :)
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #3
User Avatar Member
Thanks for your help!
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
You could also ask TomasFoe who might have the same instrument - and his sounds very well recorded in #12337

That said, I'd go with Dick's (Richard's) recommendation, and get a good condenser mike and an interface which provides the needed 48V phantom power. I bought one like these for my brother: https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_u_phoria_umc202hd.htm?ref=search_prv_11

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Edited by wjl on October 26 2018 16:57
posted on #5
User Avatar Member
Thanks for the helpful suggestion.:)
posted on #6
User Avatar Member
wjl wrote:
and an interface which provides the needed 48V phantom power. I bought one like these for my brother: https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_u_phoria_umc202hd.htm?ref=search_prv_11

I have been using this Behringer UMC202HD for a year, and it is absolutely perfect for me.
posted on #7
User Avatar Member
Thanks for your reply.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Drumshticks from United States

"Supporting Wikiloops , allows musicians to jam with others sharpening their skills with exposure to many different genres.Providing social network. "

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.