Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Exporting Stretched Audio Files in Sonar Home Studio or any DAW ?

Exporting Stretched Audio Files in Sonar Home Studio or any DAW ?

posted on #1
bluvation Supporter
I downloaded a template and loaded it into my DAW(Sonar Home Studio) I've successfully slowed the downloaded audio file down by stretching it while pressing Control/Shift on the keyboard to a preferred BPM and then recorded my part to the mix. Sounds great when I play it back in the DAW but when I try to Export the Mix I'm getting a pop up saying
'An error Occurred while preparing to mixdown.
If someone knows how to overcome this error or what I'm overlooking, or if in fact it's possible to export a stretched audio file, I'd greatly appreciate it...cheers:)
posted on #2
bluvation Supporter
Well I still don't know why I couldn't export the stretched audio file in my DAW but I found a way of achieving my goal by stretching it in Audacity using the change tempo effect and then importing it into Sonar to mix with my instruments. The final mix exported with no problem. Audacity has to be one of the best free programs out there.
+1
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
eGiL
Grab the new free Cakewalk (based on Sonar Platinum)..... so maybe next time you don't have to go to Audacity ;)
+1
posted on #4
bluvation Supporter
Thanks Egil....I think the free Cakewalk DAW you're talking about is the same as the DAW (Sonar Home Studio) that I'm using except like a dummy I paid for it just before Cakewalk made it free to download. Unless there's another free version I'm not aware of. I'm happy with Sonar except for that one problem I couldn't work out. Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it! :)
posted on #5
eGiL
No it's not! ;) Home was the cheap version, the new Cakewalk is based on the Platinum version and it has had a bunch of bug fixes and updates! :) Trust me, just upgrade ;)
+1
posted on #6
eGiL
Get it here: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Register a free account, download and install the BandLab Assistant (includes heaps of samples & loops, plus free cloud storage if needed). Go to the Apps tab of the assistant to install the new & improved Cakewalk :)
+1
posted on #7
bluvation Supporter
Thanks so much Egil, I really appreciate it, sounds like an awesome deal. I love 'Free' heading over there now!:W:)
posted on #8
bluvation Supporter
eGiL wrote:
Get it here: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Register a free account, download and install the BandLab Assistant (includes heaps of samples & loops, plus free cloud storage if needed). Go to the Apps tab of the assistant to install the new & improved Cakewalk :)

I downloaded it with no problem and it installed and looks great! At first I kept getting a banner saying 'Demo Mode' projects can't be saved until it's activated. However after manually trying to activate it for about an hour without success it's finally working without the 'Demo Mode' error and saving projects so thanks again Egil for the link and information to this awesome free DAW! :W
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
wjl Supporter
bluvation wrote:
... sounds like an awesome deal. I love 'Free' heading over there now!:W:)

Blue, eGiL, I know this has nothing to do with the original question (about how to change tempo without changing pitch), but 'free' comes in several flavours:

1. 'Free' as in 'free beer' - a giveaway. Usually to be taken with some care, because if this comes from corporations, then you are the product, not the freebie...

2. 'Free' as in 'freedom', or in 'free speech' - the better and only real free version. Usually comes from volunteers, enthusiasts, or from NGOs. An example of that would be the Linux operating system, or Ardour as a DAW.

Ardour - which I just mentioned as an example - isn't 'free' as in non-paid if you want a precompiled binary for Windows or for Mac computers - but you can select what to spend, or compile it yourself.

Just wanted to make this clear, because you'd only recommend good stuff to friends... so always read the fine print. :)

(/nerd mode off) :)

Oh, and back to the topic: Ardour has that time stretch/shrink feature from a library called 'rubberband' - it's in the manual, described here: http://manual.ardour.org/editing/editing-regions-and-selections/stretching/

Cheers,
and happy upcoming holidays,
merry Christmas in case you celebrate that,
Wolfgang
+1
posted on #10
bluvation Supporter
Thanks Wolfgang, I appreciate the information about Ardour and the advice. The stretch tool would be a nice feature to have in all music editing software for the odd occasion you may need it. For me that wouldn't be very often, I think this is the first time I've ever really needed to stretch audio and possibly the last. Eventually as I mentioned earlier I was able to get it done using another music editing program Audacity.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
It expands your horizon - and you don't have to make appointments!
taBASSco from Belgium

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.