Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Automatic deletion of silences between guitar notes.

Automatic deletion of silences between guitar notes.

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Hi guys.

I am a guitarist and sometimes I spend a lot of time editing the tracks after the recording.

The point is that when I play melodies, the simple touch of the pick generates a click that is recorded and I have to manually start recording it.

As I see that there are plugins for almost everything, to see if they make one that prepares breakfast :D , I do not know if there will be what I'm looking for. Thank you very much for your help.
posted on #2
Any automated plugin has dangers... you could try a little bit of "gate" effect for that
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
Thanks I try it. :)
posted on #4
might have a different name, maybe "noise gate"? Let us know if it worked
posted on #5
Founder
uh... hmmm... well...
yes, a noise gate is the right plug-in to try to remove any not-as-loud-as-the-wanted-signal in-between noises.
The typical use case for a noise gate are multiple single microphones (think of a drumset with a mic on each drum).
You would use a noise gate to make sure the channels go quiet except for a hit on the particular drum - without a noise gate, you would have that one drum coming thru all of your mics, making it harder to mix (such channel crossing noises are called "bleeding" btw).
That being said, a noise gate is quite a tricky thing to set up properly, because you want to make sure it "opens" as soon as you start to play, even if you don't play at full throttle.
Your described pick noise will probably not be easy to gate,
you may find out a gate set up to remove the pick noise will also remove moments when you play softly ...
you may try, but I don't think it'll work well.

I'd rather look at that pick noise as something which you should try to control in your playing- these noises are a totally important part of your individual sound (like the breathing of a vocalist: remove the breathing, and half of the performances magic is gone!).
If you can get control over the "noises" in your playing without needing a plug-in, then that will improve your recordings value much more than a noise gate ever will IMHO.
Hope this makes sense & happy experiments :)
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
If you want to remove clicks made from the pick at the start of every 'attack' you make you might want to look at a plug-in called Freiraum. There's an option called entropy which you can alter to emphasize either the pick noise or the tone that's generated.
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
Thank you! I will tell you how it worked for me. <3
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Pokec from Czech Republic

"In my opinion, wikiloops is one of the best contributions to the real-music world in years."

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.