Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»About LUFS meters, and the loudness war

About LUFS meters, and the loudness war

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Hey all,

I thought that some of you might be interested in this short but good introduction to the topic of loudness:

[youtube]tMGIgJAsJpw[/youtube]

All my uploads have an average (integrated) -16dB while my true peaks stay at -1dB (to prevent distortion from a simple MP3 conversion for instance).

There are many LUFS meters from different makers on the market, and some DAWs like the free (as in freedom, for a compiled version you are still supposed to pay *something*) Ardour ( see ardour.org ) can even automate this, and make it a simple choice and a one-click solution when exporting your music.

Btw: what Ardour doesn't do is accepting MP3 input - you'll have to change those to .wav with other tools like the also free Audacity first.

Hope this helps some,
and cheers,
Wolfgang

P.S. (Edit): here is the export dialog of Ardour, as an example for the selected DVD-A (48k) output. See the top line, and the choices there? It's as easy as that, no matter if you have a good and dynamically mixed track, or an overly compressed one - it will stay at -16dB and -1dB:

[img]https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7831/46797346491_cd78073535_o_d.png[/img]

You can find the screenshot in its original size at https://www.flickr.com/photos/wjlonien/46797346491/sizes/o/

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Edited by wjl on January 19 2019 14:41
posted on #2
User Avatar Member
Totally agree with you friend. I use a LUFS meter calibrated at -23 db and a limiter if the result is too low as a loudness.Reaper has preordered actions to do this in one step.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
HiFiFlutes from United States

"like it? love it? Pay for it ! thanks Yall !!"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.