Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Swissonic ASM7 + SUB10 + Macie MIX8 in my cart - What should I do?

Swissonic ASM7 + SUB10 + Macie MIX8 in my cart - What should I do?

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Starting from the beginning....
Unfortunately, I don't have any asylum in my home, where my toys could always be ready to play. I live in the old post-communist flat.
Therefore, on Friday evening, when the sun sets behind the sky and my whole family rests carefree in the arms of Morpheus, our living room turns into my musical playground.

Unfortunately, my hifi equipment went to "happy hunting ground" last week. As my budget is even smaller than my bass skills, I want to find a solution that would be used to listen to music on a daily basis and at weekends at least partly helped to achieve satisfactory mix effects. (at the moment I spend a total of 2 hours/weekend just to mount and dismantle my setup).

To conclude...

1. Does this setup make any sense at all?
Let's leave the mixer and sound source for everyday use. My wife is already dissatisfied with the fact that new equipment will appear. I have to live with it somehow.

2.Is the quality of SWISSONIC by THOMANN equipment sufficient, for not to have to live in the consciousness that I completely, foolishly squandered my tiny budget?

Please... be honest! even if it has to hurt...
Without music, life would be a mistake
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
Hi. I’m not sure what your budget is but I’ll contribute my thoughts just in case. I use an iPad Pro and a Shure digital mic. For electronic gear I link it with my iRig. Very small footprint. I use Cubasis2 as my DAW. It’s very easy to set up and produces great results. I imagine Bass would be no different in terms of ease of recording. Once recorded I email file to myself. Convert to mp3 and upload to Wikiloops. No mixing desks etc all done in Cubasis2. Not sure if this helps but it’s one set up that is small but works very well. Good luck with your search. Alex
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
Hi Pierre,

I feel your pain, not having a decent space myself...

If you record bass only you don't really need a mixer. I have a Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen interface but bought a Behringer UMC202HD for my brother's birthday last year (he also plays bass and doesn't have that much money).

At home I'm mostly using Sennheiser HD598SE headphones which are awesome. Except that these are 'open' ones which don't cover you very much from your surrounding, or your surrounding from you. But I think I get some good mixes; listen to my stuff if interested. (Edit: #155045 would be an example which I mixed, compared to OliVBee's remix (also adding some effects to my bass) in #155161 )

At work I *have to* blend out colleagues to be able to concentrate, so there I'm using Sennheiser HD569, these are very good if you want to record something with a decent microphone as well, since they wouldn't 'bleed' as much into that microphone. A good and cheap alternative to cheaper monitors, especially for bass I think.

My cheap active computer speakers are also giving it up, so I'm thinking about the smallest Genelecs (my space is really restricted). But these are not really cheap, and I think under 75Hz there won't be much information - means on a bass you'd lose that last and deepest octave. So headphones are definitely better in my way of working.

I don't know if but I surely hope that this helps...

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Edited by wjl on February 14 2019 09:02
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
Thank you dear gentlemens, for your replies.

However, I have provided too little information about my whole set.

Normally I work with the KIT:
Bass -> Ampeg SCR preamp -> lexicon omega studio -> Logic Pro X (with guitar rig) and iPad as external controller for Logic. Sometimes I play also my M-AUDIO 49 RIG or ALESIS 25 keys.

(it's 30 minutes to connect all that stuff in the evening and another 30 minutes to disconnect on the early morning next day ;))

For mixing I use Bayerdynamic DT770 250 ohms and I like them so much, but I feel I need something to compare my mix. I see that even my mix sounds great on headphones, after when I'm trying that on the other speakers (in the car, kitchen, on portable speakers, etc. ) I cant't tell my mix sounds good. Maybe I'm deaf?

Mixer is more for everyday listening a music and also in order not to pull all these cables (from interface to speakers - normally they will be covered) every Friday and Saturday when I need to connect my interface.
So the idea is to use these speakers on a daily basis and be able to quickly connect an audio interface when I want to work with music.

First thing I'm worry about is that the quality of THOMANN speakers is so low that they would by useless for everyday using and making a right mix as well.

Secondly, I am afraid that my wife finally evicts me from home with all these toys. But I am aware, dear friends, that you are not able to help me in this matter.
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
PierreOghi wrote:
For mixing I use Bayerdynamic DT770 250 ohms and I like them so much, but I feel I need something to compare my mix. I see that even my mix sounds great on headphones, after when I'm trying that on the other speakers (in the car, kitchen, on portable speakers, etc. ) I cant't tell my mix sounds good. Maybe I'm deaf?

Good headphones as well, tho I only tried them shortly at Session Music in Frankfurt. And yes, a decent set of speakers to compare with/against helps (like the car stereo as well). I'm running a minidlna server on my machine which can be discovered by the home stereo, so I can also listen on our Onkyo receiver and Nubert (8") speakers.

PierreOghi wrote:First thing I'm worry about is that the quality of THOMANN speakers is so low that they would by useless for everyday using and making a right mix as well.

Haven't heard those yet; sorry. The price looks good, as do the user reviews.

PierreOghi wrote:Secondly, I am afraid that my wife finally evicts me from home with all these toys. But I am aware, dear friends, that you are not able to help me in this matter.

Have to get rid of a few things as well, like my telescope for instance - or else someone will get rid of me some day ;) And no way even thinking about a nice double bass :|

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Edit: end of January I went to listen to some monitors, which I'd recommend if you can do that. I wrote about it here: https://wolfgang.lonien.de/2019/01/a-short-comparison-of-studio-monitors/ and took this: https://www.wikiloops.com/album/14012-It+gets+jazzier....php

So I knew the stuff I was listening to quite well ;)
Edited by wjl on February 14 2019 12:22
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
Have to get rid of a few things as well, like my telescope for instance - or else someone will get rid of me some day wink And no way even thinking about a nice double bass frown

If I had ravaged such a big wooden box at home, I would certainly have ended up in another big wooden box. :)

I hope to move in the future and already today I know that the garage will certainly not host any car. This is actually one of the most important arguments in favour of moving.

Of course, I ask you not to take too literally what I write about my own wife. In fact, She is a charming woman who simply doesn't like to have big blocks at home for which She doesn't find functionality on a daily basis.

But returning to the thread:
My outstanding patience caused that I just ordered a set which I asked in this thread.

Now I should do the same as a dying fisherman from the Polish joke:

Dear God
If I die, I'm begging you. Make it so that my wife does not sell my fishing rods at the price I told her I bought them.
posted on #7
PierreOghi wrote:
[quote] Dear God
If I die, I'm begging you. Make it so that my wife does not sell my fishing rods at the price I told her I bought them.

:D I think this goes for most musicians and motorcycle/car enthusiasts :D :W
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
PierreOghi wrote:
...I just ordered a set which I asked in this thread.

Hi Pierre,

please let us know about the quality and sound, I'm sure there are others who would be looking for cheap monitors (and maybe that mixer) as well.

Thanks, and cheers,
Wolfgang
posted on #9
User Avatar Supporter
For sure!

Now I was 5 minutes to late to get my stuff from UPS Access Point ....

Wrrrr...

EDIT:
Alright... It's time to pass on the first impressions of my spontaneous purchase.

First... the packages from THOMANN arrived to me so quickly (3 days from DE to PL it's good result).
Second... everything was packed very solidly. Admittedly, the boxes looked quite "tired" with the travel. But I see that THOMANN is already prepared for this with its "airbags" and boxes in boxes, in boxes (like a Russian matrioshka).
I am sure that it is only thanks to this way of packing packages, my equipment has not arrived in pieces.

Now... to be clear! I don't have much experience with studio monitors.
In a studio that I share with some old friends, we have YAMAHA HS 8, and in the home studio of another friend, yo can find YAMAHA HS 5.
As a bass player in the studio (with HS8), I can hear low-end just near one corner in the room and just because there are the doors with no space for bass-trap.
About HS5 You can forget about everything what goes lower than fart.
Both of them are pretty good o control middle- high range frequencies. The same story for SWISSONIC ASM7. They are pretty bright in mid-high range but in low frequencies ASM7 are closer to HS5 than HS8. The sound is little bit better on YAMAHAS (HS8) but all of these speakers are giving You "paper" sound. Long time ago I tried Monkey Banana and if I remember well, they were a little bit warmer.

When it comes to comparing SWISSONIC-YAMAHA, I can't hear a colossal difference in sound, but... I see a big difference in price.
Whether you buy one or the other, you will be able to control your mix from the middle to the high.
I could buy YAMAHA HS 7 and as a bass player to be still in the same place. But I decided to pay less and instead of YAMAHA I bought a kit ASM7 with a subwoofer (swissonic SUB10). AND THAT WAS WHAT I MEANT!
in fact, I still have a set from the lower shelf and there is nothing to expect the sound quality of the PRO segment.
Either way, I have the ability to control the whole hearing range.

Only one think I don't like about sub speaker, is that he going to standby mode if you're listening very quiet and there are not accents on (for example) kick drum. Sub needs higher signal to be active all the time. Up to me... to high...

but prices?
YAMAHA HS7 - 199 EUR/1 speaker. x2 = 398,00 eur (maybe 10 our less if U will buy a pair)
Swissonic ASM7 (pair) + sub10 = 325,00 eur

Personally, I think that in this segment there is no point in spending money on twice as expensive monitors with very similar sound quality.
I think that these should be the most popular home recording studio kits.

CONCLUSION... I'M VERY HAPPY FOR MY DECISION... Anyway I need to wait until weekend to make more tests during my introvert-night-wiki-party

If You want to know something more, please note me. I'll try to do my best!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
frankyguitar from Germany

"Wikiloops, the first place for sharing my ideas in music. Meet fantastic musicians all over the world. I'm learning every day! You will love it!!"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.