Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »Vibrato on guitars discussion

Vibrato on guitars discussion

posted on #1
I have been thinking about this subject lately and tried to think what it is that I am actually doing subconsciously on my electric guitar. So I found out that I use 4 types of different vibratos:

1)"Standard" vibrato, basically, the finger moves the string up and down. I noticed that if I want to make it fast on the first finger, I do a little bit of the BB King butterfly, but just a bit :D . On long tones, I actually remove the thumb from the neck and almost move the string with the whole arm.

2) "Classic" - the first string instrument I learned as a wee boy was the violin. The vibrato there is done with the finger vibrating sideways. The string is not tensed and released a lot like in the "standard", but you can get a high-frequency vibrato nevertheless. I tend to use it on more quiet stuff, maybe jazzy direction. I used to use it more when playing acoustic guitar, but on the electric not a lot.

3) My "fake slide" vibrato: I use the whammy bar on my strat quite a lot, I have bent and modified it a bit and made it sticky so it stays in position where I can easily reach it. I use it either with very gentle movements to provide a nice vibrato, but also can give it a bit more movement which makes the note sound a little bit like a slide vibrato. As the string is tensed and released it gives a very different sounding vibrato than the "standard". I definitely don't use the Richy Blackmore style frantic whammy bar vibrato, that is a bit too much for me. Nice and gentle. While my guitar gently weeps sort of feel.

4) The bending string vibrato: This is the most difficult one (at least for me) as you have to first bend the string, and then apply vibrato. I tend to use while pushing the string up, but on some of the lower strings I started lately to also push them down and then wiggle it for the vibrato. This one I am currently giving it some more time to get it better, as it still does not feel "natural" to me as I used the whammy bar on it before.

Every player has a different vibrato, for me, I tend to keep it sort of slow, going for the "similar to human voice vibrtato" freuency, although sometimes I wish I could go frantic like Paul Kossoff on his Les Paul :)

So tell me your thoughts on this subject, love to hear about your techniques.
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
This was very interesting to read. I had thought about doing a post about favorite guitar picks and of course tips and tricks. I also use many of the vibrato techniques you and most others use. A few tend to be on the strange and or over the top type. lol Your one of the only people I know besides me who likes the trem bar to be in a fixed fast access position. No dangling limp trem for me!Anyway like your post.;)
Acousticeg
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
A fixed trem for me as well.
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
I use a lot the bend notes
I feel free with a Floyd rose trémolo system but not confident with the simple Stratocaster one.
But when I see (for real) how TeeGee use it, I must dig a bit to set up it like he did :)
posted on #5
User Avatar Member
Interesting topic Tee. Most sax players use a faster vibrato ( I know..I know..this is for guitars) Personally I like a vibrato that fits the music. We sax players use our lower lip for that. Was never a fan of the faster vibrato..sounds too regimented for me..but I suck anyway..lol:P
posted on #6
User Avatar Member
I like your ability to do Jimmy Hendrix style tremolo. Hard core 60’s psychedelic it’s beyond ability so you’re my go to guy for this. All the way thru on #90001 best example on #158790 is outtro solo especially dive bomb at the end. :D

I use my pointer and ring fingers with a back and forth twisting motion kind of like BB. I have a Strat and Floyd equipped Kramer. But manly use it for hi gain Harmonic Dive Bombs and pull up screams. :W
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
adu from Europe

"Timeless, entertaining, helpful, friendly and always surprising! I like when an idea is growing and is constantly reinvented. All users here are wikiloops and I like that. This is not any site on the web, it is wikiloops!"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.