Been A Bit Busy

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Hi everyone, not been around much as I've been very busy with work and with learning a two hour Pink Floyd set by the 6th December. Learning all 23 minutes of the Pompeii version of Echoes has been entertaining to say the least! I've got to work with synchronised videos and incidental backings) live. Although I'm very used to a click, I've never used them live before, so that'll be fun. This is the most work I've ever had to put into a band!

Nevertheless, as always, I don't learn the tracks exactly as per the original. I learn the structures and beats but not the fills, etc.. I just try and get into the 'mindset' of the track and go from there! Keeps me fresh too!

I've had to buy a couple of toys in order to be ready for the gig, not that I really needed the excuse. The main thing was getting a trigger pad - in this case, the Alesis SamplePad Pro - to do all the non-drum kit sounds. I've also got hold of a Tascam Model 24 which stands in for my recording interface as it gives me 22-in, 24-out recording channels through an analogue mixer! Fantastic piece of kit!

Anyway, here's me testing out the kit on Pink Floyd's track Time. Loving those Rototom samples!

I'll be recording on here very soon I hope!

[youtube]Fpqc5vjvx1Q[/youtube]
Edited by mpointon on October 29 2019 17:35
If you make a mistake, do it again and make it look like you meant to do it!
posted on #2
very cool Martin :W sounded to my untrained ear as if you were getting more relaxed as the song went on, wow must be difficult to play such iconic songs but it sounds as if you guys got it down!!
posted on #3
sounds cool to me Martin :)
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
A flaming gong...you need the flaming gong.....[img]https://i.gifer.com/6dLF.gif[/img]
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
Martin -Is it Brit Floyd you are playing with?
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
No. This is a new Floyd tribute called Eclipse. The main singer is ex-other Floyd bands and our tech guy is ex-Floyd themselves. We have access to a lot of the authentic sounds!

Our main differentiator is we’re not going to be just another Pulse performer. We’re doing Floyd from across the ages. Longer term, we’ll be doing sets and albums based on venue request.

Our inaugural gig will include Astronomy Domine, Let There Be More Light, Fearless as well as their way more famous stadium stuff.

The gong is on the to-do.
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
Very cool! Wish you lots of success! I would absolutely love to hear " Fearless".
Edited by LittleWing on October 30 2019 00:29
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
Fantastic Martin!
posted on #9
User Avatar Supporter
LittleWing wrote:
Very cool! Wish you lots of success! I would absolutely love to hear " Fearless".

Fabulous song and oddly catchy. We even have the original crowd sample for it!
posted on #10
User Avatar Supporter
I believe I found your website:
https://eclipsetribute.co.uk/band/
posted on #11
Damn I would definitely come to your gig if you ever come near me in Germany!!
posted on #12
User Avatar Supporter
Super cool project Martin .. congrats!! :W
posted on #13
User Avatar Supporter
LittleWing wrote:
I believe I found your website:
https://eclipsetribute.co.uk/band/

Yep. That's us. Still early days but I'm really looking forward to it.
posted on #14
User Avatar Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
very cool Martin :W sounded to my untrained ear as if you were getting more relaxed as the song went on, wow must be difficult to play such iconic songs but it sounds as if you guys got it down!!

Nick Mason, despite the apparent simplicity of what he plays, chops and changes feel throughout a lot of their songs. With Time, you've got a straight feel which then swings for the choruses. But then he'll chuck in a straight fill over the swing or, for the hell of it, sometimes do straight on the kick. It's as distinctive as it is often random.
posted on #15
User Avatar Supporter
Fantastic!!!
Edited by Offfocus on October 30 2019 23:38
posted on #16
User Avatar Supporter
Thanks everyone. Might do another version of the video today as my green light-up sticks should turn up! :)
posted on #17
User Avatar Supporter
So good that you've got such a demanding project that's suited your perfectionist tendencies. Give them a great show!
You're only as old as you smell
posted on #18
User Avatar Supporter
Sounds great Martin, such a cool project. All best wishes for success to Eclipse! :W:D
posted on #19
User Avatar Member
Martin - congrats on the project. Wonderful drum sound and playing, and I hope its a big success!

Im a big fan of the Floyd, and a fan of Nick Mason - a very good drummer that as you say appears simple, but he really isnt.

If anyone is interested I have the complete DSOM multitracks....

All the best with the project!
posted on #20
User Avatar Supporter
it's a pleasure to watch you at work, Martin. bang up job!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
akethesnaker from Sweden

"Perfect place to develop yourself musically"

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy ..