Panning

posted on #1
User Avatar Member
In the 70s a sound engineer discovered if he kept vocals mono,drums,n bass and organ in center than all other instruments in stereo ,panned to left n right on different frequency's (example guitar recorded in stereo left 10 right 10 then harmony vocals stereo left 15 right 15 etc etc . the mix sounds cleaner because instruments are not completing for the same freq:.
All the album's of the 70s where recorded like this . if you have some 70s albums around listen to them and hear how all the separate tracks sound clear and stand out in there own space . If you have some early 50s music compare it to that there all in mono everything is sharing the same space .A good example if you have it is listen to Fleetwood Mac there mixes all use this panning trick . The only exception is sometimes with drums you maybe want in stereo on different tracks like snares,hi hats, etc then panned for effect but never share same freq:
Bass drum always mono down the center . PS sorry I think I've posted this in wrong section this my first try at posting forum
Edited by Bluesjamer on November 19 2019 03:28
posted on #2
Very interesting!
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
Makes sense to me. Good share :)
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
I'm always being panned
You're only as old as you smell
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Frank Navin from Chicago

"Support the Arts"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.