Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Conversion a Telecaster to Acoustic Guitar

Conversion a Telecaster to Acoustic Guitar

posted on #1
GlezBass Supporter
I have made a small, low-cost modification to convert the sound from a Telecaster guitar equipped with humbucker pickups to a hybrid guitar that works with magnetic capsules, hybrid sound from magnetic and piezoelectric microphones, and an exclusive piezoelectric system with a special bridge.

If you are interested, follow this post with these pieces:
- Telecaster guitar (I think anyone works if you equip a Tune O Matic bridge, for example a Les Paul)
My guitar chosen for having Tune O'Matic bridge: Harley Benton Telecaster TE-40 TBK [img]https://wloops2.r.worldssl.net/galleries/6615/files/c916f1c1f2ba934e0823db196b5c7c6a.jpeg[/img]
- passive piezoelectric bridge of this type (see photo of exact measurements of the bridge ...)
https://www.ebay.es/itm/Tune-O-Matic-Piezo-Guitar-bridge-Pickup-in-Chrome-Black-or-Gold/372351595221?hash=item56b1e272d5:g:3~wAAOSwgeZeORYN
[img]https://i.imgur.com/wuXjzk1.jpg[/img]
- soldering iron for connections
- preamplifier, you can choose an internal model or as in my case a pedalboard with gain / effects (for example Korg Pandora or whatever you want)

Very simple procedure ... if you have chosen the measures well, it is the moment that you should pay the most attention, it only requires removing the serial bridge, and placing the piezoelectric bridge; you adjust the height with the screws and the fifth note setting procedure moving the saddles
[img]https://i.imgur.com/YHgjB8p.jpg[/img]

Electrical connection: the simplest for me, although there are multiple and more complex schemes, has been to remove the pickup from the bridge and connect with solder ground pole and the active pole to the same position that the bridge pickup has in the pickup selector switch . ..and !!ready!!
[img]https://i.imgur.com/WnX1RpJ.jpg[/img]

You already have acoustic sound in your guitar, you can use the neck pickup, select the hybrid sound of the neck magnet and piezoelectric (my preferred sound, the one shown on the track #193779) or just only the sound of the piezoelectric bridge (less body in bass notes)

You can leave your ideas here in the forum about new electronic connections or modifications of other models if you dare .... we will all learn!!

Ah ... important !! the cost of all this is low, the guitar about 158 € and the piezoelectric bridge 40 €

PS I have left the piezo cable on the outside until I am sure of its reliability, then I pierce the cabinet to put the cable into the rear compartment of the circuits, it is easy !!
+5
posted on #2
GlezBass Supporter
Advantage....

- Acoustic sound on a solid guitar !! and conventional electric sound just by moving the selector switch !!!!
- You do not disturb your neighbor when you play the acoustic guitar because having no sound box does not sound on air!
- If you are a professional or you give acoustic concerts, it can be amplified for live play with connection to your usual amplifier, and it will not produce any coupling as it happens sometimes with acoustic guitars with microphones. Everyone will look at you when playing with an acoustic-sounding Telecaster
- It is a low risk economic modification! .... and if it doesn't work or you don't like the sound it's completely reversible !!! you remove the piezo bridge and put the standard one
+2
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
GlezBass Supporter
Finish the job by inserting the piezo cable through the cabinet with little visible

[img]https://i.imgur.com/YXtHLnU.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/2C5uxNK.jpg[/img]
+5
posted on #4
TeeGee Supporter
Beautiful guitar, good job!!
+1
posted on #5
Ernie440 Supporter
That's so cool Mario!! :W
+1
posted on #6
GlezBass Supporter
The sound mods...

#193779 like acoustic steel strings guitar :D

#230331 with Octaver effect ;)
+2
posted on #7
LittleWing Supporter
GlezBass wrote:
The sound mods...

I'll be honest Mario, At first I thought "why"?
My opinion , I do think most acoustic pickups are complete garbage. Not all but most.
And prior to last year , I did not have a high opinion of solid body electric/acoustics in general.

But two things happened in 2021. Playing the new Fender Acoustisonic and now listening to track #193779... You sold me. It sounds great.

I played one of the new Fender Acoustisonic solid body electric/acoustics in August which IS NOT a gimmick guitar. It is designed and engineered unbelievably well unlike past Electric/Acoustics which were a joke.You might say it opened my mind to accept electric/acoustics.
Now listening to your design, I would absolutely consider one.

Fantastic job, and #193779 is worth this modification you designed. I would attempt your modification in a heartbeat.

You are a master audio craftsman, Mario. I find this entire project you did , very inspiring.
+1
posted on #8
zedders Supporter
We need more demos!
What does it sound like with just the bridge pickup?
Does it sound like a strummed acoustic if you bash away on it?
I had a steel string ovation type guitar with a piezoelectric bridge that sounded ok. A bit thin but very usable.
+1
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
GlezBass Supporter
zedders wrote:
We need more demos!
I had a steel string ovation type guitar with a piezoelectric bridge that sounded ok. A bit thin but very usable.

This demo sounds is with the bridge pickup, the piezo electric !! If I use the one on the neck it sounds like a normal Telecaster with magnetic capsules, the piezo on the bridge achieves that acoustic effect (bypass the magnetic bridge pickup ... :)) The string rests directly on the electric piezo without using the magnetic capsule or inner preamplifier. In the switch leave 3 positions:
- 1 magnetic neck pickup
- 2 mix sound piezo + neck magnetic pickup
- 3 piezoelectric bridge pickups (without preamp)
I amplify the sound of the piezo with an external pedal that acts as a preamp for the piezo signal;)

Here other demo upload today ;) #230376
+1
posted on #10
GlezBass Supporter
LittleWing wrote:
GlezBass wrote:
The sound mods...

I'll be honest Mario, At first I thought "why"?
My opinion , I do think most acoustic pickups are complete garbage. Not all but most.
And prior to last year , I did not have a high opinion of solid body electric/acoustics in general.

But two things happened in 2021. Playing the new Fender Acoustisonic and now listening to track #193779... You sold me. It sounds great.

I played one of the new Fender Acoustisonic solid body electric/acoustics in August which IS NOT a gimmick guitar. It is designed and engineered unbelievably well unlike past Electric/Acoustics which were a joke.You might say it opened my mind to accept electric/acoustics.
Now listening to your design, I would absolutely consider one.

Fantastic job, and #193779 is worth this modification you designed. I would attempt your modification in a heartbeat.

You are a master audio craftsman, Mario. I find this entire project you did , very inspiring.

I will give you several brief reasons LW !!!

I make these modifications as a personal challenge on the one hand, derived from the fact that I can play this sound and record it without disturbing my family (especially my wife ...) with the sound "on air" of an acoustic .... (with my Silent Yamaha guitar and Harley Benton nylon with same thing !!)

Then I consider it very comfortable to be able to play a guitar with a solid body as an acoustic sound without the size of a resonance box due to back problems, the slim body is very comfortable for me

I like to investigate simple and inexpensive modifications! as a challenge !!! I could easily buy a Fender Acoustisonic, which I think is an excellent instrument in terms of sound and aesthetics, but this modified guitar only cost me € 186 !! (149 guitar and 37 piezo pickup), the result in quality and playability is very good considering the price of the Fender

Listen this upload #230376 !! sounds great for the guitar cheap cost !! There is still room for improvement sound with higher quality strings !!

Really the economic for me is secondary ... the challenge is the modification:
I have installed piezo electrics in my electric basses, I have changed necks, I have converted from fretted to fretless basses, I have vitrified the fingerboard of some of my fretless with cyanocrialate, I modify nuts and fretboard to my interest, it is rather a hobby of "home luthier" ....

Thanks for your support and comments .... try the modification on an inexpensive guitar, it's easy !!! :D;)
+2
posted on #11
zedders Supporter
GlezBass wrote:
zedders wrote:
We need more demos!

This demo sounds is with the bridge pickup, the piezo electric !! If I use the one on the neck it sounds like a normal Telecaster with magnetic capsules, the piezo on the bridge achieves that acoustic effect (bypass the magnetic bridge pickup ... :)) The string rests directly on the electric piezo without using the magnetic capsule or inner preamplifier. In the switch leave 3 positions:
- 1 magnetic neck pickup
I amplify the sound of the piezo with an external pedal that acts as a preamp for the piezo signal;)

It does sound very like nylon string guitar but I was wondering if it also does an impression of steel string acoustic? If it just a matter of adjusting the tone?
+1
posted on #12
GlezBass Supporter
zedders wrote:
GlezBass wrote:
zedders wrote:
We need more demos!

- 1 magnetic neck pickup

It does sound very like nylon string guitar but I was wondering if it also does an impression of steel string acoustic? If it just a matter of adjusting the tone?

For me the sound is very similar to an acoustic guitar with metal strings, both the sound and the play of the string itself.

Compare these sounds:
- Harley Benton nylon guitar #221935 #206512
- Harley Benton Telecaster acoustic modified guitar #193841 #230376 (metalic tone)
- Squier Fender Telecaster guitar modified for jazz tone #230064
;)
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
posted on #13
zedders Supporter
GlezBass wrote:
zedders wrote:
GlezBass wrote:
zedders wrote:
We need more demos!

- 1 magnetic neck pickup

For me the sound is very similar to an acoustic guitar with metal strings, both the sound and the play of the string itself.

Compare these sounds:
- Harley Benton Telecaster acoustic modified guitar #193841 #230376 (metalic tone)
;)
Thanks for that. But, but, but - that still sounds like finger picking jazz playing, bassy and wreathed in reverb. What I was wondering was how it sounds strumming hard open chords with a plectrum, more like country and western or folk - something more aggressive and lively. Apologies for labouring the point. :)

I see for £5 I can convert my Strat, or if not convert - add a pickup to the existing bridge very easily. I'm tempted but looking for what I describe above. :)
+1
posted on #14
GlezBass Supporter
zedders wrote:
GlezBass wrote:
zedders wrote:
GlezBass wrote:
zedders wrote:
We need more demos!

- 1 magnetic neck pickup

Compare these sounds:
;)
Thanks for that. But, but, but - that still sounds like finger picking jazz playing, bassy and wreathed in reverb. What I was wondering was how it sounds strumming hard open chords with a plectrum, more like country and western or folk - something more aggressive and lively. Apologies for labouring the point. :)

I see for £5 I can convert my Strat, or if not convert - add a pickup to the existing bridge very easily. I'm tempted but looking for what I describe above. :)

I understand you!! Strumming is not my style, but I think it can be done exactly the same, I don't see that there is any problem ... I'll try to do something like that and upload it when I have time. Many electro-acoustic guitars that are used for folk etc etc have the piezo electric system so I don't see any inconvenience in playing like this.
+1
posted on #15
GlezBass Supporter
Update this post to explain the new recording take with the TeleAcoustic mod telecaster guitar

Guitar plugin on ZoomB1 with Compressor and Reverb, and then applied VST with Chorus, Compressor and Shimmer reverb, EQ with TDR Nova increasing more low frequencies, this is the result... convincing acoustic tone playing a solid body telecaster guitar

You can even improve the result with new high quality strings, it is possible to hear, thanks to the piezoelectric, the clicking of the fingers on the strings like an acoustic guitar in front of a microphone

Experience for those interested....

[wl]284968[/wl]
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
This site is the best fun you can have with your instrument other than making love or live music. Guaranteed!
TeeGee from Germany

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.