Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Delay and echo plugin for Cubase

Delay and echo plugin for Cubase

posted on #1
Hey guys,

I am looking for a free plugin for delay and echo, what is built in in Cubase is not really that great. I used to have a real stomp box for my guitar that had so many options, surely someone has made something similar as a plugin...? Any suggestions?

Cheers :)
posted on #2
Hey Tee !

There are thousands of "free" vst plugins and i concede it's very hard to decide for one with such a large choice !

my advice would be to start with a page reviewing plugins or at least compiling a list of plugins by genre such as this one :

[url=https://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/]https://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/[/url]
Edited by OliVBee on March 18 2021 07:17
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #3
Very good link from Oliv, thanks for that my friend :) Of the ones mentioned, I can recommend both the TAL and the DragonFly reverbs, the latter takes more CPU, so I'm mostly using TAL (in a separate channel in the DAW to which I route).

One of my favourite delays is the Calf Vintage Delay, but http://calf-studio-gear.org/ is for Linux only; sorry...

A propos Linux: on these (like with a music distro on a bootabel USB stick for tests) you would also have things like guitarix or Rackarrak - so if you have the time to play around, give them a try...

P.S.: if you try a reverb plugin in a different channel like mentioned above, you can also apply some eq or at least a bit of a high pass filter to avoid the reverb getting "muddy" - I use that all the time even on fretless bass, where I don't like reverb under something like 200Hz too much...
Edited by wjl on March 17 2021 17:34
posted on #4
OK, i'll have a look, thanks :) Question: Why do I need to route it, what is the advantage of doing that rather than applying it to whatever track I want, or even to a section of a track?
posted on #5
Like I said/wrote, if you have separate effects channel(s), you can eq them all accordingly, without for instance taking out the lows from your guitar (or vocals or other instrument(s)) - so for soli in the higher registers of my instrument I can have some chorus and reverb for instance, without affecting the lows... (the bass itself isn't eq'ed that much, only the reverb and chorus are) - does that make sense, I mean could I explain it a bit better that way?

Of course you have all the other options like fader automation etc. for that track separated as well then...
Edited by wjl on March 17 2021 18:40
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
https://www.fullbucket.de/music/fbdelay.html
Edited by MikeB on March 17 2021 21:18
Michael Bender
posted on #7
TeeGee wrote:
OK, i'll have a look, thanks :) Question: Why do I need to route it, what is the advantage of doing that rather than applying it to whatever track I want, or even to a section of a track?

Like Wolfgang said a Bus approach to delays and reverbs (instead of Aux if you add it on a specific track) gives you the option to adjust eq and dynamics very easily and specifically to the Bus you are handling. I would add to the list many other advantages like you can route to this bus any other track as well that you you can send in various amounts - very interesting to set a general reverb for a piece so any track is grounded in the same kind of space - which doesn't mean you couldn't add a specific reverb on a track as an aux either ;)

It is also much more convenient to mix and adjust levels this way without altering your source signal !

Bus or Aux is a choice that impacts a mix deeply and depends on your goals as to each effect ... both are valid routes ;)
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #8
User Avatar Member
Valhalla Supermassive is awesome.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
taBASSco from Belgium

"It expands your horizon - and you don't have to make appointments! "

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy ..