Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Headphone Ear Pads

Headphone Ear Pads

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Hi guys. It’s very nice to be here on Wikiloops and I thank you for the warm welcome 🤗 I have a question for you which is what headphones would you recommend that have a large enough cup size to fit around the ears instead of on them? Closed back preferably. My current Sony MDR 7506 are great but I have limit of about 3/4 hours recording time before they start to hurt the outer edges of my ears. Does anyone know a model that is super comfortable regardless of time? I’d appreciate any help. And thank you for your time😎
Edited by Blazer on September 02 2021 16:04
posted on #2
Moved the thread here - also interested to hear what the suggestions are, I will have to get better headphones too.
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
Hey there Blazer,

i use the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 Ohm and i´m very glad with it!

Have a nice time and much success :)
Edited by adu on September 02 2021 19:15
Rockin´ in a free world !
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
adu wrote:
Hey there Blazer,

i use the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 Ohm and i´m very glad with it!

Have a nice time and much success :)

Thanks Adu😎 I’ll check them out.
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
On their way. Lots of cool features. I’ll let you know how we get on😎 Thanks for the recommendation Adu😀
posted on #6
My large ears are waiting for the report ;)
Edited by TeeGee on September 03 2021 10:19
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
Coming your way TG ASAP 🥳
posted on #8
User Avatar Member
Another vote for Beyerdynamic DT770 pro. Very comfortable on my big ears.
I got these to replace Audio Technica headphones for exactly this reason. I've had them for a year and I still find them very comfortable.
Edited by zedders on September 04 2021 10:41
posted on #9
User Avatar Supporter
zedders wrote:
Another vote for Beyerdynamic DT770 pro. Very comfortable on my big ears.
I got these to replace Audio Technica headphones for exactly this reason. I've had them for a year and I still find them very comfortable.

Thanks zedders. That makes me even happier that I ordered a pair. Really appreciate the reply. :W
posted on #10
User Avatar Supporter
I'm voting for the Beyerdynamics too. I have used them for a about 6 years now and they are very fine to wear for several hours too....

Had to solder a new cable for 2 or 3 times now but the headset is still fine....

Deep sound and relaxing to the ears.....

Think i will have another pair when they fall out.... most studio's are using these headphones too.... good sound at an affordable price...

cheers,

Marc
Or something like that! :)
posted on #11
User Avatar Supporter
Marceys wrote:
I'm voting for the Beyerdynamics too. I have used them for a about 6 years now and they are very fine to wear for several hours too....

Had to solder a new cable for 2 or 3 times now but the headset is still fine....

Deep sound and relaxing to the ears.....

Think i will have another pair when they fall out.... most studio's are using these headphones too.... good sound at an affordable price...

cheers,

Marc

Thanks Marc. Much appreciated and good to know these have your vote too. Should be arriving soon 😎
posted on #12
Guys, I had a look on the web, it seems you can get them with 250 ohm, 32 Ohms and other values - how do I know which one is the right one for me?? *scratches head in confusion*
posted on #13
TeeGee wrote:
Guys, I had a look on the web, it seems you can get them with 250 ohm, 32 Ohms and other values - how do I know which one is the right one for me?? *scratches head in confusion*

I'd say go with the 80 Ohms ... the different versions come with a different cable but the sound and use is the same anyway ;)

[url=https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-770-pro.html]https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-770-pro.html[/url]

Basically the lowest Ohms versions are meant to be used also on mobile or devices with a lower output level compared to audio interfaces or mixers. Doesn't mean you won't be able to use a 80 Ohms on your mobile phone but you'll get a lower volume compared to a 32 Ohms ...
Edited by OliVBee on September 06 2021 11:46
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #14
User Avatar Supporter
I also use the DT 770 (80 Ohms)
posted on #15
User Avatar Member
Ohms - it's advisable to have headphones at least 6x the impedance of your headphone amp or you can get odd frequency bumps due entirely to impedance mis-match. Most headphone amps are very low impedance fortunately.
There are many videos on this subject on YouTube.
posted on #16
User Avatar Supporter
So just a quick update. Mine arrived a short while ago. Firstly the cup size is superb. Fits comfortably beyond the rim of my ears so no more outer ear pain. Secondly it’s a straight cable and not coiled. The coiled cable from my Sony MDR is a major pain always getting caught up with things. I’m popping into the studio shortly to see how they sound.
posted on #17
User Avatar Supporter
So I have had them on for the last 2 hours or so and I think I could wear them all day without pain on my outer ear. I have the 32 ohms ones. Not a choice that I thought too much about but I have to say the aural environment is so much more comfortable compared to the Sony MDR’s certainly nowhere near as direct in my ears in terms of volume and that may be due to the extra space round my actual ear even though my volume settings are exactly the same. I’m recording through an iPad (after a lot of other gear beforehand😂) the only small con is the length of the cable. I wish it was about a metre longer. But that’s a small con. Other than that they sound great and are super comfortable. Very happy.
posted on #18
I think the 32 Ohms version has a shorter cable for a more comfortable carry around plugged into your phone convenience i guess ...

Like Marceys already pointed i think the only down side of the DT770 is the soiled cable ... being gentle should help keeping it functional for a long time before having to worry about it ;)
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
6stringvin from Canada

"Love!!"

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy ..