Thumbs

posted on #1
Hey everybody I was just wondering do we give thumbs up for encouragement or if we like it or not. I feel like people need to be encouraged to make them want to do more. Just my opinion, any thoughts?
posted on #2
Supporter
In my opinion you can give thumbs for whatever you want :) For an example - i am not hunting for thumbs - i am here to have fun, find cool musicians and nice people. That is important for me. Thumbs are cool but after all they are beside the point :)
But this is just my opinion:)
Tha bass has to be a lil louder...!
posted on #3
Thanks Basster for the reply. :)
posted on #4
Supporter
thumbs might look cool on a profile, they also might find some use in some hidden part of the site's code, but it's definitely not thumbs that make great music ...
;)
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #5
Yeah I see everybodys point. It still seems like it would be nice for people to give other people a thumb or a nice comment. I do agree it has nothing to do with music, but it helps when people feel good about something they put up. I am being too nice today, need to change to the darkside.:D
posted on #6
Supporter
of course it's nice to encourage somebody !!
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #7
Since being on here I have found that everyone on this site is usually very positive with each other. People on here are in different stages of their music ability so this is a good site to be encouraged by each other and to learn from each other. It is a site to have fun and try new things without having to feel stupid:) I've always had a good response from people, I hope you guys do too.
posted on #8
Supporter
Remember, thumbs have also a function for the site - to allow to find the best tracks in the stock of now more than 6000 uploads. That is for new users who go through the history of older uploads - where the thumbs might give some orientation.
posted on #9
Many thanks for the help in this question, now I will not commit such error.
posted on #10
Supporter
Lutz wrote:
Remember, thumbs have also a function for the site - to allow to find the best tracks in the stock of now more than 6000 uploads.

Hi Lutz!

I think with that function users will find the most thumbed tracks - but i don`t know if they are allways the best. There are lots of tracks on wikiloops, that i like, with no or just a few thumbs ;)
Tha bass has to be a lil louder...!
posted on #11
Supporter
I have to give lutz explanation a thumb here - thumbs are really one of the means to help the wikiloops system present you the better tracks before sending you off with those not all that great... so this feature is desperatly needed to keep track of things ... there are some more things included in the overall rating of tracks (number of remixes uploaded, total plays, number of downloads...) but the thumb is a strong player in that calculation.
I am with basster, some gems dont get the attention they deserve, but over time, I believe this system is as good as it gets if you dont want to fill out a complicated survey on each track, like:
is this a good practise backing?
Is this just good music to listen to?
Is this a good sounding mix...?
I could go on, I always felt its much more convenient to give one thumb for a general "like" feeling than rating the diffrent aspects - to all new members: there used to be a thumbs-down rating, too, but we all felt its of no good, so it was the first feature to be removed from the initial wikiloops system :)
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Bruno.A from France

"Great musicians and big jam for free ... what else ?"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.