Search bar

posted on #1
HI everyone ! I think wikiloops should have a search bar to go to womeone wall or to a music that wa know, without being forced to search it point by point on the website ;)

Musically,
My Momma always said, Music was like a box a chocolate. You never know what you're gonna get.
posted on #2
Supporter
Hey Wilpic,
could you please explain a bit what exactly that search bar should do? I really didnt understand what you meant, please explain!!
whats "womeone wall"?!
- and "to a music that wa know" - well, we dont have cover music on wikiloops, so free text searching for "nirvana smells like teen spirit" will not give any results on here... its a copyright thing we have to keep in mind, so free-text search is an option that is a bit difficult as long as people give names to their tracks that no one knows...
If you want to lookup a users wall (or profile, to be precise), you may use the "musician search" offered on the loopsearch page, lookup a user by username and visit their profile... maybe thats what you were looking for?
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #3
Sorry for my language and my wrote i am french and not very good in english ^^ I mean, a search bar (if this is the word) to going faster exemple : "Blues guitar and drum wilpic" or "Rock Guitar Dick" or Song that contain the word "Dream", musician named "wilpic"... You see ? Because it is hard to re-find a music that we heard when you can't remember where we found it ^^ I know that this is possible for musician but if you make a search bar for music, it can work for musician too ;)

I hope you understand what i mean :)
My Momma always said, Music was like a box a chocolate. You never know what you're gonna get.
posted on #4
Supporter
I understand now... this will be very hard to do, but I might try it one day.
For now, I would like to tell you to use the playlist feature more and more when you want to remember tracks, thats what it is good for :)
you can also go to your profile andlook at the "thumbs" window, you will find all jams you gave a thumb for lately there, too.

I know what you wanted would be even better, but I know lookin for "drumbeat adam" would hit soo many results, you wont like that, too ;)
Check the profiles options, theres is quite a lot built in there,

still: thanks for sharing your idea, that is always good!

many of us struggle with language on here by the way, so dont feel bad at all. I have to remind myself not to use too much slang to keep it easy on everyone...

posted on #5
If you want, i have shown this website to a friend of mine, guitarist (Bad2TheBone) and he loved this, he is in an informatique school, if you want he can help you ;)

It is nice to have a real conversation with a website administrator, thx to be so listening :)
posted on #6
Supporter
dear wilpic,
thanks again for the offer of help.
There is some things you should know I think:

a) it is not like I didn't know how to do what you suggested, its about the time it takes to do it. Wikiloops is free as you noticed, so I have to work other jobs to keep it that way - so i dont have much time really.

b) as your friend will tell you, too, what you wanted to type into the search bar is not going to give you the results you are thinking of. Example: "Rock guitar Dick" - theres three things you want in your track, it should be rock, it should have guitar, and Dick should be in it. Now the search engine will find 400 jams in the Rock section, 390 include guitar, maybe 60 are with dick, but actually dick played guitar on none of them. So wich result do you expect to find?
There would be tracks containing Flute, Drums and Tuba matching your request - or where you looking for tracks with guitar only?
Search engine programming is very difficult, because you would not want to type "rock track with only guitar played exclusively by dick" or "rock track, no matter how many instruments as long as one is guitar and dick is participating" - both requests would give absolutely different results. The idea to look for a word in a title or track description (example "dream") is good, actually, there is a field called "sounds like" that people can fill in when uploading that would work really nicely with that kind of search BUT most users dont like to fill in theese extra description fields, so - for a search engine, most tracks "sounds like:"" = nothing...

its a difficult thing to train a computer to think my friend, and it is even more difficult to convince the users who want to have their great track listened to really quick that its important to write some extra info, so the search engine will have something to look at... :)

c) help on a project like this is not like "I will help you and mow your grass". It takes weeks of communicating before a second coder can really help, first, he has got to understand what is happening, and with a project like this, you wont let somebody you dont know at all look into the code - he could just steal it, erase it or do whatever else to ruin wikiloops with a few clicks, so it is a matter of trust, too. That does not mean I dont work with helping people on here, but its not something that works in twenty minutes. Coding this project and especially designing the search options you have took about 1,5 years, just to give you an idea how much work this is, so dont be sad if in the end its a "thanks, but no thanks" for now. Of course, you could donate a months salary, I'd be coding for you right away :P

posted on #7
:o I didn't wanted to annoy you :'( It was just an idea ^^ But, after what you said i understand now that it is very difficult...

But I think you didn't understand what i meant whan i said he can maybe help you... Of course, you will not give him the code of the web site ! :D
I meant he could have helped you for finding ideas to programm the response of the search bar in fonction of the question. Exemple, How can we make the search bar finding a song where you play rock guitar when we write "rock guitar Dick".. I hope you understand :)

And sorry i can't give my salary to the website ^^ Because i don't have one :P

I am not sad, i will just keep searching manually the very good jams of your website, and i will continu to love it ;)

Musically
posted on #8
Supporter
ok, good :)

just for the fun of it:
I used googles site specific search to see what would pop up if we had a search bar like you are talking about...

just google: "site:wikiloops.com rock guitar dick" - the site:-part just defines you want wikiloops results only, and - googles results will show you i was not so wrong with my assumptions. Rock guitar
dick is just not specific enough as you will see. And dont forget, googles got quite some brains in their coding staff.

then again, see what will turn up with "

site:wikiloops.com "guitar: Dick" "style: rock"

"
wich would be googles best way to say you want an exact match to theese criteria... there just is no exact match, because i dont play guitar :)

did you know about theese extra features of google? No? Guess why, no one likes to use a search engine that way... sometimes, its the humans being more of the problem than the machines...

ok, lets not battle this point, I know your idea, and its basicly really good - and with the help of google, maybe you will find the desired tracks, I dont believe many users will go that way tho, most people will find it too difficult to type that kind of search request in my experience :)

posted on #9
ok nice i didn't know this feature of google :) thank you ;)
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
6stringvin from Canada

"Love!!"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.